Cruise Critic Community
dbrown84

excess cruise next amount

Hello.  With the current double up promo, I'm looking into getting a second cruise next certificate and book a cruise with two certificates.  the total that I'll owe for the cruise will be less than $500, even if I pre-pay the DSC at booking (it's a comped CAS cruise).  I was wondering if I would get the extra cruisenext amount as OBC, or just lose the extra amount.  Before waiting the 1 to 1.5 hours waiting on hold for a NCL rep, I thought I'd ask the good folks here at cruise critic if anyone has ever been in this situation.  I guess I could book a specialty restaurant or something else with a charge at booking to make sure my bill is at least $500, but I would actually rather have the extra amount as OBC to charge something while on board, most likely a cigar at the cigar lounge or something from the gift shop.

You can buy CNs only while you are on board the ship during the cruise. And you get the OBC on the same cruise. 

Even when you buy cruise next certificates on board you'll still have a bill at the end of cruise.

You want to buy two $250 CNs, right? They cost you $500 and this is billed to your OBA, and then they credit $250 on your OBA. On same cruise. At the end of cruise you have a bill of $250.

yes, but I'm asking about booking a cruise with already purchased CNs.  The total for the cruise is $361.  usually, I would apply a CN when booking, and I'd have $111 left to pay by the final payment date.  But right now, they are letting every booking apply two CNs.  If I apply a second CN, then it would be an extra $139 ($500 CN amount minus the $361 that I would owe for the cruise) that I would have "paid".  so the question I have is will I get $139 worth of OBC for this extra amount, or would I just have a fully paid cruise and the $139 is just lost.

Are you sure it will be less than the CN credit?  You have to book a 7 day to use the $250 CN, and CAS bookings require you to pay admin fee, port fees, taxes and DSC.  

I just booked a CAS, cheapest inside cabin and it was $677.  I think it will be hard to get a CAS booking below $500.

Let us know what they say about excess CN, I could not find it addressed online in the terms and conditions document.

This will be my 5th CAS booking, and I've never had more than $400 total for the cruise booking.  I've never been forced to pre-pay the DSC.  My cruise last month was under $500 total, including airfare and NCL transfers between the airport and Miami port.  the cruise I'm currently looking at is 9 days (also an inside room), so the admin fee is $180, and the port fees/taxes are $181.  Even if I add in the DSC, the total would be just $496 (but this isn't added to the cruise bill at booking unless you pre-pay).  I'm guessing your itinerary includes ports with higher port fees.  Admin fees for a 7 day would be $140, and if you pre-pay the DSC, it would be $105.  Unless there are two of you, in which case you're paying for two port fees/taxes and two DSCs.  I'm traveling solo

AH, solo cruiser, I was scratching my head over that lol.

I think the excess will be a credit you can use.

just got off the phone with NCL, and they said it is use it or lose it.  I would simply lose the extra amount.  I can however, book other items at the time of booking (DSC, service charge for drink package, etc) to make sure by bill is at least $500 to avoid losing any amount of the credit.  This was first told to me by a regular NCL rep, who then transferred me to CAS in case the rules were different for them.  The CAS rep confirmed that I would lose any excess amount

A little bit unrelated. But I’ve called NCL twice in the past month and the phone calls were 6 and 13 minutes long total. Have I just been lucky when I call? Are the wait times usually an hour plus?

If you are talking to the CAS agents in the main office, most of them are really good about working with you to figure these things outs.     That's a decently low port fee for 9 days!

For us CAS cruisers booking for 2 passengers, when there is a tax-free promo going on we always have to add in our DSC in order to utilize that $500 for 2 certificates.    Nice that you are having that kind of 'problem' without the tax-free promo🤔

yeah, I was also surprised at the port fees for a nine day cruise.  I think I'll just add in the DSC and a specialty dining booking to get to $500.  The cruise is in January, so the final payment isn't until September.  I'm holding out hope that between now and then, they'll have a promo adding the free air to inside cabins.  My last cruise including the airfare and I ended up paying less than $500 total, including the cruise, airfare, DSC, and airport transfers in Miami.  This wasn't an issue with that booking since I was only using one cruise next certificate.

I'm always watching those promos!     Most are combine-able with CAS comps which is great.    Last week they had a $100 OBC that was being added to those booking with two CN certs and I was surprised when CAS told me that one wasn't combine-able.  Oh well.....we have had plenty that add OBC for Latitudes or other specials.  

I'm still hoping for another Tax-Free promo.  Booked two last year with it.  Enjoy your cruise!

Wow, such amazing deals the CAS!  Makes me wish I had of gambled more on my 9 cruises lol...…  I guess you have to gamble a lot to get that!

Leah