Laptops on cruise

firstimercruiser

Firstimercruiser,

I know there is wireless on the Sun, and after having spoken to Aussiedisneyfan, who is on the star at the moment, there is on there aswell.

As to the pricing, and how it works i"m not too sure. Our last cruise we spoke to a couple who were connected, and they said that you have to buy a wireless internet card from the purser, just like you do for their internet cafe, then you go to a particular site, where you are asked to enter your card number. Once entered and verifyed, you are connected, and you have a timmer on the bottom right of your screen indicating how much time you have remaining.

I do belive that the wirless pricing is dearer than the normal one, but as I said I can't tell you what the price is. For the standard machines from memory it was $20 for 15 minutes, but this was back in March last year. The remaining credit that we didn't use in March, we were able to use last October, I'm wondering if the are useable on the different ships aswell, so If we have any credit left from this Feb cruise on the Sun, if we could use it on the Sky in April..

Anyone out there know the answer to that?

you have to buy a wireless internet card from the purser, just like you do for their internet cafe

I do belive that the wirless pricing is dearer than the normal one, but as I said I can't tell you what the price is. For the standard machines from memory it was $20 for 15 minutes, but this was back in March last year. The remaining credit that we didn't use in March, we were able to use last October, I'm wondering if the are useable on the different ships aswell, so If we have any credit left from this Feb cruise on the Sun, if we could use it on the Sky in April..

Anyone out there know the answer to that?

Hi All,

The internet cafe on the Star is different. You no longer buy an internet card but rather just swipe your cruise card at the machine and it is charged direct to your account. The cost was 35 cents per minute which works out as $21 per hour.

Another change which I believe has been done to ensure people spend more money. That is your card doesn't run out and it is possible to rack up a big bill very quickly! At least before if you had your 1 hour card which cost $15 last time I was on the Sky you knew exactly how much you were spending on the internet.

Didn't use or ask about wireless though. Sorry can't help on that one.

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Just correcting a mistake i made in my oroginal reply, I'm getting soo excited about sailing at the end of next week, my head isn't working right. The price for the internet cafe on the sun was $15 for 1hour. I was mixing up the phone cards and the internet.

I don't know i've been on enough cruises you'd think I wouldn't be so excited, but I guess the excitement doesn't go away, reguardless how many your been on, If it did, i suppose you wouldn't be cruising any more.

Just correcting a mistake i made in my oroginal reply, I'm getting soo excited about sailing at the end of next week, my head isn't working right. The price for the internet cafe on the sun was $15 for 1hour. I was mixing up the phone cards and the internet.

I don't know i've been on enough cruises you'd think I wouldn't be so excited, but I guess the excitement doesn't go away, reguardless how many your been on, If it did, i suppose you wouldn't be cruising any more.

With only 9 days to go, I'd be wetting myself with excitement :D

Trevor

With only 9 days to go, I'd be wetting myself with excitement :D

Trevor

Don't worry Trevor,in another 195 days you'll only have 9 days to go:D .(Sorry - couldn't resist that.)

It will be here before you know it. I've just worked it out (just to make you feel better) and it's 454 days since we booked ours and we now have just 65 days to go:) .

Karen

Don't worry Trevor,in another 195 days you'll only have 9 days to go:D .(Sorry - couldn't resist that.)

I'll have to start getting the pampers ready :p

It will be here before you know it. I've just worked it out (just to make you feel better) and it's 454 days since we booked ours and we now have just 65 days to go:) .

I don't know how you've lasted this long. Are all the people you know still talking to you, or have they told you to bugger off and stop talking about the bloody cruise? :)

I really can't wait. 6 months until holidays (2 weeks at home, pacing for most of it I presume :), a week at Sufer's Paradise then CRUISE TIME!!!)

Trev

I'll have to start getting the pampers ready :p

I don't know how you've lasted this long. Are all the people you know still talking to you, or have they told you to bugger off and stop talking about the bloody cruise? :)

I really can't wait. 6 months until holidays (2 weeks at home, pacing for most of it I presume :), a week at Sufer's Paradise then CRUISE TIME!!!)

Trev

No-one's told be to bugger off yet but I'm sure they'd like to. I didn't talk about it excessively when we first booked but I think I do now. This site is a big help because I can talk about it as much as I like without getting on people's nerves (at leas I hope I don't get on anybody's nerves.)

Karen

Karen

No-one's told be to bugger off yet but I'm sure they'd like to. I didn't talk about it excessively when we first booked but I think I do now. This site is a big help because I can talk about it as much as I like without getting on people's nerves (at leas I hope I don't get on anybody's nerves.)

Karen

Karen

This board has been a godsend. I feel as though I could still annoy everyone here by talking about my cruise, that's how much I want to talk about it. :p

This morning, I went out and bought myself a snorkel set and some reef walking shoes today for the cruise. I might have to go over to Keppel Island and test them out ;)

Trev

Just re-read my original reply, obviously my head's not working right, I must be too excited about the cruise end of next week. I mixud up the phone and the internet pricing. The pricing for the internet on the Sun was $15 for 1 hour.

Can't believe the problems I am having that many problems concentrating on things. After this many cruises, you would think that the excitement would lessen a bit, but it hasn't. I'm just as excited about this cruise, as I was about the first one I went on.

Well sorry if I confused anyone with the wrong pricing that I posted.

Hi Trevor

What do reef walking shoes look like? I'm originally from Alice Springs only been in Adelaide a few years but as far as I know no reefs down here so I have no idea what everybody is talking about when they mention reef shoes. Are they canvas slip on's or lace ups ??????

Helen:confused:

Hi Trevor

What do reef walking shoes look like? I'm originally from Alice Springs only been in Adelaide a few years but as far as I know no reefs down here so I have no idea what everybody is talking about when they mention reef shoes. Are they canvas slip on's or lace ups ??????

Helen:confused:

Hi Helen,

reef walking shoes are light weight, usually slip-on shoes, designed to wear for walking through water and over rocks that may be sharp or slippery. I actually got the idea from some other people here in a different thread. They said some of the beaches are made of dead coral, so is hard on your feet. Reef walkers are good compared to thongs because you can wear them in the water and they don't come off :). They're usually made from a wetsuit type of material other something quick drying. I hate walking around in wet shoes.

Trev

Thanks Trevor - I'll start looking tomorrow myself as the shops are starting to put their winter stock out.

I have already put shorts & singlets away for DH as we won't have time when we get to QLD before we set sail to do any shopping for him.

Helen

Thanks Trevor - I'll start looking tomorrow myself as the shops are starting to put their winter stock out.

I have already put shorts & singlets away for DH as we won't have time when we get to QLD before we set sail to do any shopping for him.

Helen

You're welcome. Apparently you can get them from Big W or Kmart, although, when I looked there, I couldn't see them. Could just be our stores though :). I ended up getting mine, along with a set of snorkel and fins, from A-mart All Sports because they were having a sale.

Trevor.

Karen

Karen,

You booked your cruise over 500 days in advance:confused:

Wow - I thought the 297 days we had to wait between booking and sailing on Pacific Sky was a long time. This time we had to wait about 240 days, but on Pacific Sun we only had to wait 64 days - that was excellent.

Oh well, only 56 days, 22 hrs 15mins (at time of posting) to go for us.

Kym

Helen

They are also known as aqua socks. That's what Big W call them. I got mine, hubbys & older sons there but the younger ones I got in KMart. Less than $8-00 a pair.

Karen,

You booked your cruise over 500 days in advance:confused:

Wow - I thought the 297 days we had to wait between booking and sailing on Pacific Sky was a long time. This time we had to wait about 240 days, but on Pacific Sun we only had to wait 64 days - that was excellent.

Oh well, only 56 days, 22 hrs 15mins (at time of posting) to go for us.

Kym

Yes Kym, it has certainly been a long wait but it's surprising how quickly it has gone. Imagine how quick those 11 days are gonna go!

We booked so far in advance for a couple of reasons. Firstly to give us enough time to save for it. I'm a stay at home mum so living on one wage with a mortgage & 3 kids, takes a while to save for things like this. Secondly, because we have 3 kids we need a 4 berth cabin with a rollaway and they are restricted to 40 per cruise.(Not allowed at all anymore). I know it's going to be worth the wait though.

Karen

You're welcome. Apparently you can get them from Big W or Kmart, although, when I looked there, I couldn't see them. Could just be our stores though :). I ended up getting mine, along with a set of snorkel and fins, from A-mart All Sports because they were having a sale.

Trevor.

If you see them get them straight away. I am trying to find a nice rash top for daughter and many shops have sold out.

I suggest anyone who has booked a cruise make sure they have all their swimwear organised.

I bought myself a new cossie (reduced in price) although i didnt really need one as yuo never know when you can them. Crazy in this climate. Also try buying school shoes in november!!!!

Yes Kym, it has certainly been a long wait but it's surprising how quickly it has gone. Imagine how quick those 11 days are gonna go!

We booked so far in advance for a couple of reasons. Firstly to give us enough time to save for it. I'm a stay at home mum so living on one wage with a mortgage & 3 kids, takes a while to save for things like this. Secondly, because we have 3 kids we need a 4 berth cabin with a rollaway and they are restricted to 40 per cruise.(Not allowed at all anymore). I know it's going to be worth the wait though.

Karen

You're right about the 11 days going by quickly - they sure will.. My first cruise on Pacific Sky was only 7 nights - so you can imagine how quickly that went by after waiting 297 days :)

I guess we're lucky, with 2 incomes and no kids we can afford to cruise more often....... Although we might put cruising on a temporary hold after our cruise in March and save money and holiday time to do a 4-5 week trip to the UK & Ireland. That's going to take a bit of saving for. We've already been looking at options, and it only serves to remind us how much value an "all inclusive" cruise really is.

Kym

That sounds like a good holiday Kym. I'm from the UK and although my DH was born here his parents are from Ireland and he has lots of relatives there. I have met some of them when they have been here on holidays & they are the loveliest people. I'd love to do a trip like that someday. But I suppose that will have to wait until the kids are off our hands. I wouldn't dream of doing it now without them and we certainly can't afford to do it with them.

Karen

If you see them get them straight away. I am trying to find a nice rash top for daughter and many shops have sold out.

I suggest anyone who has booked a cruise make sure they have all their swimwear organised.

I bought myself a new cossie (reduced in price) although i didnt really need one as yuo never know when you can them. Crazy in this climate. Also try buying school shoes in november!!!!

I have found ebay great for things that are out of season. Look for a rash vest there for your daughter and you may get it for a couple of dollars. Also, the Australian Cancer Council should have a website and they sell alot of sun protection stuff. Hope that helps.

Archived