Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Cruiseman38

Carnival reaches deal with federal prosecuters

Recommended Posts

Hopefully the fine is big enough to make sure they follow the rules and other cruise lines pay attention. Carnival management has been a bunch of hypocrites for the comments about doing things to help the environment while also polluting the oceans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

It looked like to me that it was the employees cutting corners instead of Carnival telling them to. At least on the dumping.  

Sorry, but crew don't decide to threaten their livelihood and risk personal fines and jail time to save the company money unless the corporate culture is one of "it doesn't really matter" or "you make the problem disappear or we will get someone who will".  I know the maritime industry, and have actually worked for two companies that were under DOJ probation for pollution violations, so I know how this all works.  It is incumbent on management, particularly when the company has been placed on probation, to create a total corporate culture of compliance with regulations.  The scope of the violations while on probation, both in numbers of incidents and the numbers of ships involved means it is more than one or two employees "cutting corners".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Hopefully the fine is big enough to make sure they follow the rules and other cruise lines pay attention. Carnival management has been a bunch of hypocrites for the comments about doing things to help the environment while also polluting the oceans. 

 

I agree. There are also a lot of hypocrites on this and other boards who have ripped Carnival over this issue, yet in other threads they mention how they are looking forward to their next cruise on Carnival. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'm staying completely away from ANY Carnival Corp cruise until this is entirely resolved. Going off of past history and the judge's attitude toward the idiot executives of Carnival Corp, I find it hard to believe she'll except any deal shown to her. Carnival deserves the toughest penalties for their callousness and lack of concern (sorry not sorry).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

It looked like to me that it was the employees cutting corners instead of Carnival telling them to. At least on the dumping.  

I would agree with you here.  If they find proof that management knew about this or in any way covered it up they should get a fine in the hundreds of millions.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, skridge said:

I would agree with you here.  If they find proof that management knew about this or in any way covered it up they should get a fine in the hundreds of millions.

 

Every time the court appointed auditor found a violation, it is reported to corporate, and corporate should have done something to change the culture in the company.  So, they well knew, over the two year period, about every one of the 800+ violations.  Going on past DOJ settlements, a second fine would be 10 times the first fine, or in this case $400 million.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Every time the court appointed auditor found a violation, it is reported to corporate, and corporate should have done something to change the culture in the company.  So, they well knew, over the two year period, about every one of the 800+ violations.  Going on past DOJ settlements, a second fine would be 10 times the first fine, or in this case $400 million.

 

So I am guessing I should buy Carnival stock after the settlement meeting 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree. There are also a lot of hypocrites on this and other boards who have ripped Carnival over this issue, yet in other threads they mention how they are looking forward to their next cruise on Carnival. 

 

I don't find that hypocritical at all. Someone can be upset/sad/angry about what Carnival has done here and, at the same time, look forward to their cruise vacation. People choose Carnival for multiple reasons. Maybe they love the product that Carnival offers. Maybe it's cost that attracts them to Carnival. Probably both...or a multitude of other reasons. Whatever the reason for someone choosing a Carnival cruise, it's possible to do so, to look forward to it, and still be upset about what they've done. Cost is a very big reason we choose Carnival, but also because we thoroughly enjoy the product they offer. We currently have a cruise booked and are looking forward to it very much so, but I'm also angered by what they've done and how little their executives seem to care. Whatever the final decision, I hope those arrogant execs feel it. But I don't think feeling all of these things makes me a hypocrite. It's a cruise we can afford, of course we're looking forward to it. People have to weigh their own feelings about this. If they're upset about what Carnival has done, is it enough to take their business elsewhere. That's a decision consumers have to make countless times in their lives with all sorts of products, services, and companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it a matter of Carnival Corporation's ship the only ones doing it or are they the only ones that have been caught?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

Is it a matter of Carnival Corporation's ship the only ones doing it or are they the only ones that have been caught?

NCL was found guilty of violations and placed on probation about 15 years ago.  Since then, they have turned their corporate environmental culture around completely.  RCI was found guilty about a decade ago, not since.  Other shipping lines, not cruise lines, continue to be found guilty and are placed on the same probationary terms as Carnival.  What is egregious is that Carnival continued to have violations even when on a monitored probation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...