Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
AndyMichelle

Cruise insurance, Cancer specific

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

Apologies as I know there has been previous threads about travel insurance, but we are looking for recommendations for reasonably priced, cancer cover.

We are getting some extremely high quotes.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure if we can name commercial companies on here (but will try below). If you look at the MacMillan cancer site online community this is a hot topic so you will get some guidance there.

 

I previously used Free Spirit which is a specialist insurance but that was a good few years ago so they may not be as competitive now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have a cancer care nurse ask them who their patients are using, they aren't allowed to advise who to use but can day if they have heard from patients about good service or quotes.

We found that the medical specialist/pre-existing cover etc companies were very expensive. We found a standard insurer, declaring all our pre-existing conditions and adding cruise cover gave very reasonable quotes. We use a high street supermarket (celebrating 150 years) we call for quote rather than do an online comparision and it's half the price of online quotes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m not sure if we can name commercial companies on here (but will try below). If you look at the MacMillan cancer site online community this is a hot topic so you will get some guidance there.

 

I previously used Free Spirit which is a specialist insurance but that was a good few years ago so they may not be as competitive now.

 

 

Thank you.

We are on the Macmillan site but have not had much luck with cruise specific recommendations.

Free Spirit is the best quote we have had so far.

Thanks again,

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, cabin4three said:

If you have a cancer care nurse ask them who their patients are using, they aren't allowed to advise who to use but can day if they have heard from patients about good service or quotes.

We found that the medical specialist/pre-existing cover etc companies were very expensive. We found a standard insurer, declaring all our pre-existing conditions and adding cruise cover gave very reasonable quotes. We use a high street supermarket (celebrating 150 years) we call for quote rather than do an online comparision and it's half the price of online quotes.

Great advice, thank you.

Will definitely take your advice.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you.

We are on the Macmillan site but have not had much luck with cruise specific recommendations.

Free Spirit is the best quote we have had so far.

Thanks again,

Andy

We went with them after trying 17 different companies. 

 

I hope you find something suitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Andy, again, not sure if I can name a company but I will and if I have breached rules doubtless this will be deleted. 

My wife had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (leukaemia in English), no treatment for 3 years. Plus other issues such as Shingles, High BP....

....for our recent 28 night cruise (with a return Transatlantic) we got cover for £1,060. Bear in mind that was for a month, we are low 70's in age, and the cruise included the Caribbean, all of which added to the cost before medical issues were assesssed (a one week Norway cruise soon is £250.)

The company is World First Travel Insurance.

Fortunately we did not have to claim.

Hope this might help.

Kind regards.

Peter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PrincessPete said:

Hi Andy, again, not sure if I can name a company but I will and if I have breached rules doubtless this will be deleted. 

My wife had Non Hodgkins Lymphoma (leukaemia in English), no treatment for 3 years. Plus other issues such as Shingles, High BP....

....for our recent 28 night cruise (with a return Transatlantic) we got cover for £1,060. Bear in mind that was for a month, we are low 70's in age, and the cruise included the Caribbean, all of which added to the cost before medical issues were assesssed (a one week Norway cruise soon is £250.)

The company is World First Travel Insurance.

Fortunately we did not have to claim.

Hope this might help.

Kind regards.

Peter

Thank you Peter.

We all hope we don't have to claim, but knowing our luck...

Will give them a try.

Glad you had a trouble free trip, enjoy Norway.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife has had womb cancer and I heart failure, we're both early 60s. We've found Medical Travel Compared usually very competitive for cruise cover  but for an upcoming 28 day Caribbean cruise a company called OneStop4UK came out best, that was £580.

Edited by kenhem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kenhem said:

My wife has had womb cancer and I heart failure, we're both early 60s. We've found Medical Travel Compared usually very competitive for cruise cover  but for an upcoming 28 day Caribbean cruise a company called OneStop4UK came out best.

Thank you, will give them a try.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you, will give them a try.

Andy

Sorry Andy, it's OneStop4 insurance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine from the Post Office travel insurance. It was affordable for European but expensive when I upgraded to worldwide when we booked a Caribbean cruise. There was a few simple questions only. I had breast cancer last year. The company I was with didn't want to quote me. 

Edited by caber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, kenhem said:

Sorry Andy, it's OneStop4 insurance

Yes, found it, thank you.

The online quote seems to be very cheap, so will give them a call tomorrow to make sure we are filling out the forms correctly.

Thanks again,

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, caber said:

I got mine from the Post Office travel insurance. It was affordable for European but expensive when I upgraded to worldwide when we booked a Caribbean cruise. There was a few simple questions only. I had breast cancer last year. The company I was with didn't want to quote me. 

Thank you.

Didn't even think of the Post Office, I think we assumed we would need a specialist company.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you.

Didn't even think of the Post Office, I think we assumed we would need a specialist company.

Andy

I was told about it from another lady who had had cancer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you all so much for your great advice.

This site sometimes loses direction and gets overtaken by strong opinions and embitterment, but this thread shows what we should be using it for, to advise, to help and to share our experiences.

Thanks again,

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife has been diagnosed with a NET (Neuroendocrine tumour) She's had surgery in December and awaiting further scans to see how successful it was.

We've found InsuranceWith to be good , although with a pretty high excess for cancellation or repatriation if related to the condition.

One slight problem with them if that even on an annual policy, cruise cover is restricted to 31 days, so we are now taking out single trip policies with them.

I suspect prices will depend on the type of cancer and what future treatments are antisipated

Hope you find suitable cover at a reasonable price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

My wife has been diagnosed with a NET (Neuroendocrine tumour) She's had surgery in December and awaiting further scans to see how successful it was.

We've found InsuranceWith to be good , although with a pretty high excess for cancellation or repatriation if related to the condition.

One slight problem with them if that even on an annual policy, cruise cover is restricted to 31 days, so we are now taking out single trip policies with them.

I suspect prices will depend on the type of cancer and what future treatments are antisipated

Hope you find suitable cover at a reasonable price. 

Fingers crossed for the scan results, we will say a little prayer for her.

We are lucky in comparison as Michelle has been fairly stable for 4 1/2 years, despite being given 6 months to live...

She can't be cured, but they are keeping her stable and stopping the tumour from spreading.

Thank you for the advice and sharing your experiences.

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/blogs/b/travel_insurance6/posts/travel-insurance-round-up-april-2019?CommentId=5e118241-dfc5-48c1-9dda-50a13e694a0c

 

This is from the MacMillan site with a round up of travel insurance advice based on feedback, it has a link to a specific forum, may be different to the one you looked at?

Thank you, we will have a look.

I think we need to call places because with the exception of one site, the medical screening seems to 'lump' us in with people who's condition is not stable, hence quoting for a worse case scenario.

Thanks again,

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Thank you, we will have a look.

I think we need to call places because with the exception of one site, the medical screening seems to 'lump' us in with people who's condition is not stable, hence quoting for a worse case scenario.

Thanks again,

Andy

 

Yes phoning is definitely the way to go. It takes time but you do get better results.

 

We got a letter of comfort from the consultant oncologist before each holiday to say that the cancer was stable at that time, was unlikely to change before the cruise and that travel was safe etc (once the first was done they just changed the dates for us while it remained correct). That seemed to help with prices as it was not just us saying it.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Hi all,

Apologies as I know there has been previous threads about travel insurance, but we are looking for recommendations for reasonably priced, cancer cover.

We are getting some extremely high quotes.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Andy

For my late father in law who had cancer we used Age UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May I suggest, what my bank ( who had insured me foc ) told me when I was diagnosed. They would cover me for all but the cancer ( too much of a risk, I thought) so they suggested that I contacted BIBA (British Insurance Brokers’ Assn). On the phone, BIBA gave a short screening and based on that they gave the names of three firms who would be likely to insure you. I phoned the first company and they did a more detailed screening and in the end we went with them as their quote for an annual policy wasn’t much more than their quote for a two week holiday. 

Edited by Ranchi
Typo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer two years ago. Fortunately it was operable and did not appear to have spread and I am now in remission. After my operation however, I found that whilst I could still get travel cover it cost me an arm and a leg. I found the following link very helpful and got fixed up with an annual wordwide policy with one of the companies listed for less than I had paid for single trip insurance with more mainstream companies. AllClear.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/practically/travelling-with-cancer/travel-insurance/specialist-policies-and-insurance-companies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Denarius said:

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer two years ago. Fortunately it was operable and did not appear to have spread and I am now in remission. After my operation however, I found that whilst I could still get travel cover it cost me an arm and a leg. I found the following link very helpful and got fixed up with an annual wordwide policy with one of the companies listed for less than I had paid for single trip insurance with more mainstream companies. AllClear.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/coping/practically/travelling-with-cancer/travel-insurance/specialist-policies-and-insurance-companies

Thank you for the tip.

We have used All Clear previously, but their quote this time was very high, despite no change of circumstances.

Long may your health remain stable.

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...