Blu

Kennedysa

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Miaminice, perhaps you have just been lucky with randomly arriving at the Select Dining area and being seated there without prior arrangements,  but in general that is not advised.  The Select Dining host(ess) knows when there is a higher likelihood of tables being available based on the reservations the Select diners have made.  Asking the Select diners to have longer wait times because guests who already have other assignments want to eat in the Main Dining room is not fair.  

If only they felt that way about Aqua guests having to wait when Suite guests decide they want to eat in Blu instead. There are numerous reports on here of Aqua having to wait for tables while Suite people are seated ahead of them. It's seeming like Aqua is more second-class than any other category - our dining room can get overrun by Suite guests, but there is no guarantee we'll be able to be seated in the MDR.

• Like 1

And that isn’t fair, either.  If the Suite guests inconvenience the Aqua guests, tgey should also be informed that pre-arrangements are needed to dine in Ble.

there have been a few reports of suite guests being turned away from Blu because it was already full

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

And that isn’t fair, either.  If the Suite guests inconvenience the Aqua guests, tgey should also be informed that pre-arrangements are needed to dine in Ble.

there have been a few reports of suite guests being turned away from Blu because it was already full

Yes, there have been quite a few reports lately of suite guests being turned away so that is a good thing.   

• Like 4

On 5/29/2019 at 1:38 AM, Kennedysa said:

We booked Aqua class so our dining room is Blu.  Our daughter decided to join us on the cruise but Aqua cabins are no longer available.  I know those who have booked a suite dine in Luminae and can pay a fee for guest to dine with them but was wondering if guest were allowed in Blu for a fee.  I know we can dine with her and family in MDR and we can eat in Blu without them but would like to have them join us in Blu if tables are available.

Thanks everyone for your comments on my question above.  We will be sailing on Summit to Canada and New England on the June 16 sailing.  I booked this cruise for myself and hubby last year and upgraded to Aqua class for $20 each last month.  Daughter decided last week she wanted to go also but could not book an Aqua cabin since there were three of them and we couldn't downgrade to a lower cabin category because we were within the 90 days of sailing.  

I spoke to the Celebrity Agent that I have been booking through for years this morning.  He has always given me the correct answers and gone out of his way to be helpful.  He informed me that we would be able to dine in the MDR with our daughter and grand children.  He indicated he had put us under Select dining and therefore we could go to either Blu or the MDR.  I am sure we will at least try Blu one night but are happy that being assigned to Aqua will not present a problem dining with her and the grand children in the MDR.

• Like 1

I think you will be able to sort it out with the maitre ds once you board.  If your family is in Select dining you should be able to do a res for all of you to dine together or I suppise you can just line up.

.but definitely let BLU know your plans...so they can assist and not be expecting you nightly.

I am also sure you can sort it out on the board, but I think your travel agent is incorrect in telling you that he has put you in select dining. I don’t think they can override your assignment to Blu which comes with being booked in Aqua class.

As I have indicated earlier, do not try just lining up at Select.  You will probably be told to go back to your assigned dining room, Blu. Work with the blu maître d’ and the main dining room maître d’ to make your arrangements.  Especially with children involved. You don’t want them getting impatient, fussy, hungry, while you sort out dining arrangements.  

39 minutes ago, Kennedysa said:

Thanks everyone for your comments on my question above.  We will be sailing on Summit to Canada and New England on the June 16 sailing.  I booked this cruise for myself and hubby last year and upgraded to Aqua class for $20 each last month.  Daughter decided last week she wanted to go also but could not book an Aqua cabin since there were three of them and we couldn't downgrade to a lower cabin category because we were within the 90 days of sailing.  

I spoke to the Celebrity Agent that I have been booking through for years this morning.  He has always given me the correct answers and gone out of his way to be helpful.  He informed me that we would be able to dine in the MDR with our daughter and grand children.  He indicated he had put us under Select dining and therefore we could go to either Blu or the MDR.  I am sure we will at least try Blu one night but are happy that being assigned to Aqua will not present a problem dining with her and the grand children in the MDR.

How nice that your Celebrity agent was able to work with you, and to find a space for you with your family in the MDR.

I'm not surprised they put you under Select Dining for the flexibility of that option with the MDR. On our last cruise we were in a Sky Suite. One day out of curiosity I went to the MDR to look at the menu. It looked pretty good. The Maitre'd asked if we would be dining there that night. I said no, we're assigned to Luminae and have to eat there. The Maitre'd said no, you are allowed to eat here, but it would be under Select Dining if you decide to eat in the MDR. So technically we could eat in the MDR, but we would wait in line to be seated like every other Select Dining pax. We never did try the MDR, we stuck mostly with Luminae and we did buffet dinner when we came back to the ship too tired to gussy up for dinner. 

Also, I've never dined in Blu, but I've looked at their menu and it looks pretty good. Hopefully you will be able to try it once or twice, and don't forget Blu also does a lovely sit down breakfast every morning. Maybe you can try that as well. Here's hoping your whole family has a wonderful cruise. Cheers!

That’s a Celebrity website glitch.  AQ’s Blu is always go at anytime...no set early or late and the system doesn’t have an option to just say “Blu” so it says “Select” but as others have said that does not mean you are to go to the MDR.

• Like 2

Just be careful about being reassured you are in Select Dining.  When you make reservations, there is no indication of Blu as     your dining option.  The agent is required to select one of three choices - Select Dining, early seating MDR, or late seating MDR.  There is no Blu option on the system per se.  So just because a TA entered Select Dining does not mean that is what you are booked in.  Stupid, I know, after all this time you would think that system glitch would be fixed, but it is not.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Devo1459 said:

My upcoming cruise on Reflection we are in Aqua, and my booking also states I have Select dining.

Having experienced Blu on Reflection, my advice is go early, or go late, or prepare to wait in a long line and eat in a very crowded dining room.  We ended up going at 8:30-8:45 so we could have some peace and quiet with our dinner and get seated right away (usually).

15 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

That’s a Celebrity website glitch.  AQ’s Blu is always go at anytime...no set early or late and the system doesn’t have an option to just say “Blu” so it says “Select” but as others have said that does not mean you are to go to the MDR.

Until recently the X website displayed either Early or Late for Blu because it was unable to accommodate the anytime nature of Blu dining technically. Now they've changed and list Select for Aqua Class/Blu patrons. That doesn't mean you may just show up at the Select entrance to the MDR. All that said, we've never been turned away from the MDR on the few occasions we've dined there when sailing Aqua Class. We always make a reservation in the MDR if we wish to dine there for some reason, but quite honestly we vastly prefer dining in Blu to the MDR. The service and ambience is much better, they are more able to accommodate special requests, and we generally prefer the food choices.

Thanks for all the advice.  I have heard Blu can be a zoo 😂...We are doing the Baltic on the 26th so the sun won't be setting until after 10:15 most nights so eating late and avoiding the crowds won't be an issue.  We also plan on Murano, Lawn Club and the Porch too!  Also, call us weird but we do like the MDR too! 

Bermadu22 - Thank you for your positive comments. We will definitely do Blu once or twice and most certainly breakfast.  I know our daughter won't want the MDR every night and will be content taking the boys to the buffet.

44 minutes ago, Kennedysa said:

Bermadu22 - Thank you for your positive comments. We will definitely do Blu once or twice and most certainly breakfast.  I know our daughter won't want the MDR every night and will be content taking the boys to the buffet.

The maitre d in BLU  where you are officially  assigned will be able to assist and guide you.  You can enjoy breakfast in BLU and meet up with dtr and family afterwards for coffee and cake...

3 hours ago, Kennedysa said:

You should check that once you get on board since Blu is basically anytime dining.  On this board in the past people have said their TA fixed it and it was not. Just passing this on.

4 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

You should check that once you get on board since Blu is basically anytime dining.  On this board in the past people have said their TA fixed it and it was not. Just passing this on.

I plan on checking with both Blu and the MDR when we get on board.  I did go to Manage Your Reservation and the site allowed me to make reservations in the MDR, so we shall see if they honor them.

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Having experienced Blu on Reflection, my advice is go early, or go late, or prepare to wait in a long line and eat in a very crowded dining room.  We ended up going at 8:30-8:45 so we could have some peace and quiet with our dinner and get seated right away (usually).

Blu on the Reflection is the only ship where we have walked out because of how crowded and how slow the service was.   There were too many diners eligible to eat in the dining room due to the expansion of Aqua Class cabins.  

23 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Keep in mind that the desserts (and breakfast pastries) at Cafe al Bacio are free of charge.  You could meet your daughter there for dessert later.  Sometimes we need a break after dinner to work up an appetite for dessert.

I enjoy my coffee and carrot muffin each morning from Cafe Al Bacio.   The desserts are the best!

We had something similar on a cruise a few years back.  My daughters and I had a booking in a Suite.  Cousins decided to join our cruise at the last minute and booked a regular balcony stateroom.  While daughters and I often had breakfast at either Luminae or Blu (cousins were the room service type), we all dined together in the MDR.  No problem at all.  We worked it out with the maitre'd of the MDR once onboard.   He took care of informing Luminae.  We even had assigned 8:30 reservations with the same waiter team. :classic_smile:

Go and have fun...don't stress over this!

16 hours ago, helen haywood said:

That’s one of the tips I always tell first timers.  Because I would assume you had to purchase a beverage at the least...not that they are free.  Sometimes I’ll get an almond croissant to take back to our balcony.

We were on the Silhouette for 14 days once, and never realized the desserts were free for everyone.  Now it is our favorite place for dessert on Celebrity. 

The other option you have is to have breakfast with your daughters family, lunch when on a sea day and have dinner separately.  You could always have a little after dinner dessert and coffee in Cafe al Bacio. You will still have plenty of dining options with the family but just not dinner.