Cruising out of Brooklyn - Need Advice

Jules1

Hi,

We are cruising out of Brooklyn on July 7, 2019 on QM2.  We need to book flights arriving the day before - which airport is most convenient?  We also need a hotel near the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.  Recommendations?

Thanks!

23 minutes ago, Jules1 said:

Hi,

We are cruising out of Brooklyn on July 7, 2019 on QM2.  We need to book flights arriving the day before - which airport is most convenient?  We also need a hotel near the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.  Recommendations?

Thanks!

La Guardia Airport would be closest.  JFK would be further away.  However.... there’s more to consider

What is your hotel budget?  Assuming 2 people.  Any interest in sightseeing?

Your date is July 4th weekend and downtown Manhattan has many great hotel deals under $200.  If you fly into JFK, the NYC cab rate to Manhattan (not Brooklyn) is fixed.

If you can manage your luggage at all, it is possible to take a short cab ride from a downtown hotel (Wall St/911 Memorial area) to Pier 11 and roll your luggage onto the MTA ferry to Red Hook which docks right next to the cruise terminal.  Cost is about $3/pp.  You would have many photo ops of the QM2 from the ferry as you sail across the river to Red Hook.  Of course a cab ride to Red Hook is an option, but the ferry essentially bypasses any traffic congestion at the Red Hook pier.

Staying downtown offers you the opportunity to see the 911 Memorial and possibly the Museum (advance tickets required), the Freedom Tower, and views of the Statue of Liberty from Battery Park among other things at your own pace. There are many restaurants and eateries to choose from.  The area is very nice and IMO much more appealing than staying somewhere in Brooklyn.

OP: if you are not arriving in time to enjoy any of Manhattan, and are truly wedded to staying in Brooklyn (I'm not saying you should), there's the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, probably the most decent hotel within a reasonable distance of the pier.

13 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

OP: if you are not arriving in time to enjoy any of Manhattan, and are truly wedded to staying in Brooklyn (I'm not saying you should), there's the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott, probably the most decent hotel within a reasonable distance of the pier.

This hotel is $456.77 tax included for July 6.  Only $370.70 if you prepay and are a Marriott member.  I think the OP can do better if they post their budget.  Other Marriott brand hotels downtown come in at under $200/night tax included.

3 minutes ago, 138east said:

This hotel is $456.77 tax included for July 6.  Only $370.70 if you prepay and are a Marriott member.  I think the OP can do better if they post their budget.  Other Marriott brand hotels downtown come in at under $200/night tax included.

Thanks Carol.  I didn't say it was cheap (especially booking at such a late date). I just said it was probably the best hotel in Brooklyn that is reasonably close to the pier.   😉

17 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks Carol.  I didn't say it was cheap (especially booking at such a late date). I just said it was probably the best hotel in Brooklyn that is reasonably close to the pier.   😉

I was surprised at the cost.  It’s a summer holiday weekend.  I can’t imagine what they charge for a business travel night during the week.  Hopefully the OP will post back and offer more info about how they envision their NY stay.

Hi,

Thanks for your help.  We just bought plane tix and won't be arriving until 9:00 pm on the evening of the 6th.  So, no sightseeing.  I will look at the Brooklyn Marriot as well as perhaps an airport hotel with a taxi to the pier in the morning.

If you arrive at 9pm into LGA; suggest you stay at airport marriott or courtyard marriott.  You can take taxi or uber to port next morning.   both hotels are directly across street from airport;  you could walk if the weather is nice.  

Edited by AF-1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If you arrive at 9pm into LGA; suggest you stay at airport marriott or courtyard marriott.  You can take taxi or uber to port next morning.   both hotels are directly across street from airport;  you could walk if the weather is nice.  

Reportedly the Courtyard closed about a year ago. When it was open it had a bad reputation because it was believed to be one of the hotels in NY City that was used as temporary shelter for homeless families. 

I would not suggest that anyone  try to find their way on foot out of LGA to  one the streets with overpasses crossing the Grand Central Parkway given all the construction at the airport.

Edited by njhorseman

None of the "airport hotels" at LGA are truly across the street or even highway from the airport's complicated network of service roads, currently under expansion & major reconstruction thru 2021+ as noted by NJH.  It is NOT pedestrian friendly and most definitely not SAFE to walk around towing rollerboards & spinners.  It is at best a 20+ minutes walk to the nearest hotel's front/main entrance ... during the daylight hours, and, it will be dark by 9 pm for sure and it is not an illuminated walking trail.  Don't even think about walking at all, period. 

Having said that, be carefull when booking a LGA hotel, check Google Map closely and confirm that they have a free hotel shuttle, usually 5 or 6 am to no later than midnight (airport is closed for departing flights midnight to 6 am, although we had landed around 1:30 am once due to ATC holds, weather & ground stops ... years ago coming home)  TripAdvisor it, Hotwire or Priceline for last minute specials ... we had out-of-town extended relatives that book a nearby - brand new - Springhill Suites that sleep 4+ at under $200 a night, taxes/fees & all with hot breakfast & free airport shuttle, it's about 1.5 mile from Terminal B.  

Across from LGA & over the Grand Central Parkway, along Ditmas Blvd (hotel row) are the following: Marriott, Hampton Inns and the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel (I'm not 100% this was the formerly Courtyard mentioned, as it has changed ownership/name & branding several times over the last 25 years ... has been remodeled, both interior & exterior, look nice as I was there not long ago to pickup a car rental from Hertz HLE.)  

On arrival & upon retrieving all luggage, follow signage to hotel shuttle pickup point - and wait, expect a wait of up to 15 to 30 minutes to make it over to the hotel.  

In the morning, for the trip to Red Hook pier, I recommend using Carmel or Dial 7 car service, their drivers do plenty of airport & cruise terminal pickup and dropoff - and, unlike an Uber "ride-sharing" driver, will NOT get lost taking you promptly to the Brooklyn pier - and, there is NO toll whatsoever on this route.  Weekend mornings, should be an easy 20-30 minutes transfer, hotel to pier. 

Edited by mking8288

I guess I have made a mistake recommending the Marriott. I stayed at both Marriott and courtyard last year.  I like walking and have walked numerous times to the Marriott. Sorry if I made a mistake. The Marriott has a shuttle bus.  I am flight crew who has flown into all three airports and have always like the Marriott b