CoCoCay Myth Buster - Free or Charge for Everything?

I recently sailed on the Symphony and about a week before our sail date, they added CoCoCay to our itinerary.  I immediately began researching on here and elsewhere.  I came across a lot of mixed information, but it appeared that the island charged for nearly everything.  In fact, in some of the RCI literature, the wording almost sounded like they charged just to get on the island!

What did we do?

My information here that I will provide you is based on no excursions and just walking around the island.  With that being said, I may be limited on any answers I can give to your questions. 

Beaches

The beaches are free!  Well, most of them.  There appeared to be a private beach or two, but the rest of them are free. In fact, the loungers are free, too!  That surprised me.  I thought for sure that they would charge for lounge chairs. 

There is a beach in the middle of the island that seems super neat because the ocean water flows under a bridge to there. So cool!

Some of the beaches have restrictions on how far out you can swim, but the beach that runs the length of the island on the opposite side of the dock has no such restrictions. 

The beaches were clean, not crowded and the water was crystal clear.  In fact, we captured under water footage up close to a sting ray!  I should have a recap video put together later this month. 

Food

There are some places that charge for food, but RCI has 3 different places for free food, and I don't mean crackers and water.  A full lunch spread! Steak burgers, taco bar, salad, etc. 

As we kept walking there were nice hammocks hanging from palm trees that were free.  The pool is huge, warm, clean and free. 

There is plenty of shopping from the locals that rent tiny huts to set up their booth.  The water park obviously has a cost. 

If I remember anything else I will post later and I'll also post these videos and I create them.  But those of you on a strict budget, you can really, REALLY enjoy this island without spending a dime.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this overview.  We will visit Coco Cay for the first time in January, and my husband could not be convinced that it would not cost, just like the beach clubs on most of the islands.  This should set his mind to rest.

Thanks again,  Pat

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iamchrisstone said:

I recently sailed on the Symphony and about a week before our sail date, they added CoCoCay to our itinerary.  I immediately began researching on here and elsewhere.  I came across a lot of mixed information, but it appeared that the island charged for nearly everything.  In fact, in some of the RCI literature, the wording almost sounded like they charged just to get on the island!

What did we do?

My information here that I will provide you is based on no excursions and just walking around the island.  With that being said, I may be limited on any answers I can give to your questions. 

Beaches

The beaches are free!  Well, most of them.  There appeared to be a private beach or two, but the rest of them are free. In fact, the loungers are free, too!  That surprised me.  I thought for sure that they would charge for lounge chairs. 

There is a beach in the middle of the island that seems super neat because the ocean water flows under a bridge to there. So cool!

Some of the beaches have restrictions on how far out you can swim, but the beach that runs the length of the island on the opposite side of the dock has no such restrictions. 

The beaches were clean, not crowded and the water was crystal clear.  In fact, we captured under water footage up close to a sting ray!  I should have a recap video put together later this month. 

Food

There are some places that charge for food, but RCI has 3 different places for free food, and I don't mean crackers and water.  A full lunch spread! Steak burgers, taco bar, salad, etc. 

As we kept walking there were nice hammocks hanging from palm trees that were free.  The pool is huge, warm, clean and free. 

There is plenty of shopping from the locals that rent tiny huts to set up their booth.  The water park obviously has a cost. 

If I remember anything else I will post later and I'll also post these videos and I create them.  But those of you on a strict budget, you can really, REALLY enjoy this island without spending a dime.

I'm not sure where you and others keep getting this wrong info about "all the charging on Coco Cay", but maybe in the future you should check with the official RCCL web site instead of on the cruise site boards. I recently went on my first cruise on RCCL and although we went to Labadee instead of Coco Cay, I still found all the "CORRECT INFO" about both of these private islands by simply checking on the RCCL web site and Royal related web sites.

I didn't have to be told that activities such as jet skiing, zip lining, and such would be an extra charge. Those things are expensive to maintain so a charge is to be expected. Beaches are free. Any port you go to will have free beaches. You just have to pay to get there and for loungers. The new water park at Coco Cay is an extra. Royal spent a lot of money building it so it shouldn't be a surprise. At least they're charging those who want to use the water park instead of raising cruise prices for everyone. They supply you lunch on Coco Cay and drinks. It's just like being on the ship, with more room.

Think of the private islands like this: Instead of Royal stopping at another island like Cozumel, or St Maarten where you have to pay for a driver to take you to a beach. Pay for food, drinks, beach loungers, or excursions. Royal is taking you to their own island that is included with your cruise fare and has beaches you can walk to. Food, drinks, beach loungers that you don't have to pay extra for. And a water park and water sports that you can pay extra for just like everywhere else.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, tinkertwo said:

What are the food options on the island that you have to pay for?  That seems odd that they would have an upcharge on dinning.  I want to be prepared though.   

Not an up charge Per se, but restaurants that charge as normal. But 3 are free.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, lowbass said:

I'm not sure where you and others keep getting this wrong info about "all the charging on Coco Cay", but maybe in the future you should check with the official RCCL web site instead of on the cruise site boards. I recently went on my first cruise on RCCL and although we went to Labadee instead of Coco Cay, I still found all the "CORRECT INFO" about both of these private islands by simply checking on the RCCL web site and Royal related web sites.

I didn't have to be told that activities such as jet skiing, zip lining, and such would be an extra charge. Those things are expensive to maintain so a charge is to be expected. Beaches are free. Any port you go to will have free beaches. You just have to pay to get there and for loungers. The new water park at Coco Cay is an extra. Royal spent a lot of money building it so it shouldn't be a surprise. At least they're charging those who want to use the water park instead of raising cruise prices for everyone. They supply you lunch on Coco Cay and drinks. It's just like being on the ship, with more room.

Think of the private islands like this: Instead of Royal stopping at another island like Cozumel, or St Maarten where you have to pay for a driver to take you to a beach. Pay for food, drinks, beach loungers, or excursions. Royal is taking you to their own island that is included with your cruise fare and has beaches you can walk to. Food, drinks, beach loungers that you don't have to pay extra for. And a water park and water sports that you can pay extra for just like everywhere else.

Loungers ARE free. And no need to be a smart alec.  I DID do my research and the rci site has wording where one could  interpret as admission just to get on the island. And as i said in my op, the  excursions and water park does cost And i never thought or stated otherwise.  This post was to inform those that had the question i had to begin with.  If you are not on the boards to give or research information, then what truly is your purpose

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tinkertwo said:

What are the food options on the island that you have to pay for?  That seems odd that they would have an upcharge on dinning.  I want to be prepared though.   

Currently only one place has pay food options, Captain Jack's. The pay options at Captain Jack's are wings, $7.95 for 10, and steak fries, $3 a basket, in addition to base price a VAT and gratuity need to be added. Will add the wings and fries are the only food options at Captain Jack's.

But a quick walk from Captain Jack's is Skipper's Grill that has food at no additional cost.

In this picture Skipper's Grill is on the left side and Captain Jack's is on the right.

20190529_222415.thumb.jpg.dde89d411cd77d57141c23d5c8db595a.jpg

Edited by chandom
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, lowbass said:

As recently as a couple of months ago the official RCCL web site had Explorer of the Seas pool deck outfitted with Waterslides, so take that sentence with a grain of salt.

And I haven't even mentioned the punch card for coffee debacle..........

Edited by NateUpNorth
  • Like 1

We appreciate the work you did on this thread. Sometimes it IS difficult to get cut and dried information from Royal. And definitely finding prices to make a decision on a budget beforehand is futile! So thanks again to all here.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, brentconn said:

We are going in February. How cold is that water going to be?

Not bad, we've snorkeled there in February.  Lots of people in the water.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, brentconn said:

Was there this last February and spent the whole day in the water at the beach, pool and water park weren't open yet but I would think they would be pleasant.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tinkertwo said:

We just got back and I believe Captain Jack's was an extra charge. The Snack Shack was included. We had food from the Shack and it was very good. This didn't surprise us though since food on the island was great when we were there in January as well. It's just burgers or chicken sandwiches in our case, but it was better than I expected! 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, iamchrisstone said:

Not an up charge Per se, but restaurants that charge as normal. But 3 are free.  

Royal Caribbean's literature says they added 5 new complimentary dining options.

Capture.thumb.JPG.93cc53f9bd0381ebc31c1dc955c5294e.JPG

Edited by rusty nut
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, brentconn said:

That's relative..........I like my pool water 86-88*  Hubby can take 75-and up!  I'm guessing the ocean at that time is in the mid to  high 70's.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brentconn said:

That depends where you are from and what you consider to be cold water.

As a Floridian, I have never experienced water warm enough to swim in the Bahamas. (Typically same weather and temps as south Florida).  But perhaps a northerner might find the water to be refreshing!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

Thanks for sharing.  Which beach is best for swimming?..snorkeling?...with shades?  Thank you.

Nice snorkel area from the beach closest to the pier.  Swim out and to the left for the reef.

• Like 2