Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but is there an ocean near Baltimore Maryland? I've seen a cruise for Nov 9th, of next yr on the Grandeur Ots, its a 11 day cruise round trip out of Baltimore. Been scratchin my head after I saw that sailing. Anybody got any answers? Inquiring minds would like to know.

 

Virginia

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but is there an ocean near Baltimore Maryland? I've seen a cruise for Nov 9th, of next yr on the Grandeur Ots, its a 11 day cruise round trip out of Baltimore. Been scratchin my head after I saw that sailing. Anybody got any answers? Inquiring minds would like to know.

 

Virginia

 

Once you sail through the Chesapeake Bay you're in the open Atlantic.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal is very cash rich at the moment so a marine railway project commenced in 2014 to carry ships up to 86,000 GT inland to cities like Baltimore to avoid port fees.  I have hopes it may extend through to Colorado by 2050 but I understand funding has been diverted to build another Oasis class ship so that may extend out towards 2050.  California was on schedule for 2087 as a means to be an alternate to the Panama Canal for ships near to Panamax standards but they haven't determined how to engineer the marine railway over the Rocky Mountains yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Ok Voyager, how far is Baltimore from the Chesapeake Bay, an does Rcl meet you at the airport? So many questions.

 

Baltimore is right on the Chesapeake Bay.  Of course an RC rep will be available at the airport if you fly in the day of departure.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal is very cash rich at the moment so a marine railway project commenced in 2014 to carry ships up to 86,000 GT inland to cities like Baltimore to avoid port fees.  I have hopes it may extend through to Colorado by 2050 but I understand funding has been diverted to build another Oasis class ship so that may extend out towards 2050.  California was on schedule for 2087 as a means to be an alternate to the Panama Canal for ships near to Panamax standards but they haven't determined how to engineer the marine railway over the Rocky Mountains yet.

Hey twangster, I don't think I'll be alive in 2050!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The port in Baltimore, "Cruise Maryland" is friendly and very efficient.  Easy embarkation/debarkation.  Sailing through the Chesapeake is very nice.  Grandeur sails under several bridges... and over the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel.  It's quite a sight, especially at night, seeing cars on a bridge that suddenly go down into the tunnel under the bay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Yup, sure catfish!!

 

The Bay Bridge Tunnel is just that.  The cars drive over a bridge which leads directly into the tunnel.  So the cars first go OVER the water then UNDER the water.  As he said, at night the headlights are the only thing visible as the cars cross the bridge, but disappear when the cars enter the tunnel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Ok Voyager, how far is Baltimore from the Chesapeake Bay, an does Rcl meet you at the airport? So many questions.

You really might consider looking at a map

Link to post
Share on other sites

Baltimore is our home port.  We love to sail down the bay as you go past Fort McHenry where the Star Spangle Banner was written by Francis Scott Key, sailing under the bridges that you do not think the ship will fit under.  The crew on the Grandeur is one of the friendliest crews we have sailed with.  When we board that ship it is like coming home as many of the crew will remember you.  You would enjoy that cruise.  Fly in to Baltimore early as there is plenty to see in this area.

Link to post
Share on other sites

About 1 hour or so from the cruise ship dock to the Chesapeake Bay.

 

About 9 - 10 hours to the mouth of the Bay into the Atlantic Ocean.

 

RCI will not pay the states' casino fees, so casino is closed until into the Atlantic.  Carnival (Pride sails out of Baltimore), does pay the fees.

 

The airport is maybe 20 minutes from the cruise port.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Wildcatfish said:

The port in Baltimore, "Cruise Maryland" is friendly and very efficient.  Easy embarkation/debarkation.  Sailing through the Chesapeake is very nice.  Grandeur sails under several bridges... and over the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel.  It's quite a sight, especially at night, seeing cars on a bridge that suddenly go down into the tunnel under the bay.

We just got off Grandeur earlier this month. The ship was amazing as was the crew.  We made a point of watching as we sailed over the tunnel (both ways).  There were no headlights going into the tunnel as there were police cars on each side stopping traffic as we went over the tunnel. Thought that was very interesting.  We wondered if they do this for ALL ships or certain ones. We assumed it was for safety sake.

Erika

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow...did not know that about the port in Baltimore...so cool!!  I love those long transfers before you hit the open ocean.  Tampa is another example, and love to see the Sunshine Skyway bridge all lit up when we pass underneath.  So much to see versus just open ocean.  

 

Looking forward to our first visit to Baltimore, and our first time aboard the Grandeur on our B2B next September!  🙂 

Edited by island lady
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, island lady said:

Wow...did not know that about the port in Baltimore...so cool!!  I love those long transfers before you hit the open ocean.  Tampa is another example, and love to see the Sunshine Skyway bridge all lit up when we pass underneath.  So much to see versus just open ocean.  

 

Looking forward to our first visit to Baltimore, and our first time aboard the Grandeur on our B2B next September!  🙂 

Baltimore is a great port. There are plenty of things to do and see near it as well as lots of hotels. Nothing right at the port but lots nearby.

 

The Grandeur is one of our favorite ships which like a well broken in pair of shoes is just so comfortable with a great crew.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, birdylady said:

We just got off Grandeur earlier this month. The ship was amazing as was the crew.  We made a point of watching as we sailed over the tunnel (both ways).  There were no headlights going into the tunnel as there were police cars on each side stopping traffic as we went over the tunnel. Thought that was very interesting.  We wondered if they do this for ALL ships or certain ones. We assumed it was for safety sake.

Erika

On that day there was a tractor trailer that spilled his load in the tunnel and they had to close it for about 12 hours.  Sailing over the tunnel has no effect on the cars going thru the tunnel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 5xGrandma said:

On that day there was a tractor trailer that spilled his load in the tunnel and they had to close it for about 12 hours.  Sailing over the tunnel has no effect on the cars going thru the tunnel.

But it was shut both outbound on April 25th (about midnight) and inbound on May 1st about 9pm. 

Erika

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...