Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
ceilidh1

Princess Travel Insurance Help!

Hoping someone on here may have the answer to this as I'm confused! I usually purchase the Princess insurance (as Elite, I get the upgrade to platinum). I travel with 2 kids and have always purchased for all 3 of us. I already have great extended medical through my employer plan so really only get the added insurance for cancellation benefits. My question is, do I NEED to purchase it for all 3 of us separately? Reading the policy, it would appear that I am covered if I need to cancel due to a child being sick, etc....so do they even need the insurance or would I be covered for the cost of the trip (I paid for the entire thing, obviously) regardless?

Thanks in advance!

I was always told all in the cabin need to buy the Princess insurance.  Otherwise the ones not covered would not get money back if it is a covered reason.  They don’t care that you paid for the insurance, it goes to the person it is covering.

The insurance will cover you if cancelling due to a medical emergency of an immediate family member.

But if that family member is also on the cruise but did not have their own insurance, their cancellation penalty is lost.

Doesn't matter who paid for them.

Since all you need is cancellation insurance you may be better off searching elsewhere for a plan with a premium that is more age-based rather than based on a percentage of your fare. I am of course assuming "travelling with kids" refers to your kids thus making you considerably younger than what the price point of the Princess Vacation Protection reflects.

Thanks both! I thought that may be the case but then got confused with the pollicy wording! 

I have done done numerous searches for cancellation insurance but they all come out higher than all inclusive insurance. No clue why! Maybe because I’m in Canada?

Don't know the rules of Canada medical coverage, but in U.S, we are on medicare with a ppo supplemental and anything that happens medically during the trip is not covered unless we are in a U.S. port.  Check with your medical company that they will cover medical issues for where ever you are going.

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Thanks both! I thought that may be the case but then got confused with the pollicy wording! 

I have done done numerous searches for cancellation insurance but they all come out higher than all inclusive insurance. No clue why! Maybe because I’m in Canada?

Try MEDOC Travel Insurance from Johnson.  You may already have a link with Johnson through your employer’s extended medical plan.

2 hours ago, roxievegas said:

Don't know the rules of Canada medical coverage, but in U.S, we are on medicare with a ppo supplemental and anything that happens medically during the trip is not covered unless we are in a U.S. port.  Check with your medical company that they will cover medical issues for where ever you are going.

My Medicare's supplemental plan covers medical costs outside of the USA so apparently coverages can vary.  And because most trip insurance plans medical coverage is secondary then the lower Princess coverage is okay for me.

Coverages vary so it's important for everyone to check their own plans.

18 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

My Medicare's supplemental plan covers medical costs outside of the USA so apparently coverages can vary.

Just curious what company you have, even though it may not help people outside of your home state.  We are in the early stages of researching Medicare supplemental plans.  Most of the ones I have seen so far that cover costs outside of the USA have a fairly low lifetime maximum.  Our current thinking is to find the supplemental plan that best meets our other needs and add a GeoBlue Trekker annual medical policy to take care of medical outside of the USA.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread)

Edited by Jersey42

53 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

Just curious what company you have, even though it may not help people outside of your home state.  We are in the early stages of researching Medicare supplemental plans.  Most of the ones I have seen so far that cover costs outside of the USA have a fairly low lifetime maximum.  Our current thinking is to find the supplemental plan that best meets our other needs and add a GeoBlue Trekker annual medical policy to take care of medical outside of the USA.

(Sorry for hijacking the thread)

from the medicare.gov web site:  All of these plans also provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S. Medigap plans C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M, and N pay 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.

16 minutes ago, JoAnneNYI said:

from the medicare.gov web site:  All of these plans also provide foreign travel emergency health care coverage when you travel outside the U.S. Medigap plans C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, M, and N pay 80% of the billed charges for certain medically necessary emergency care outside the U.S. after you meet a $250 deductible for the year.

While this is true, the plans that I am familiar with have lifetime limits of $50,000.  That is not a lot.

GeoBlue is a great choice with no deductible and no preexisting penalties.

52 minutes ago, thinfool said:

While this is true, the plans that I am familiar with have lifetime limits of $50,000.  That is not a lot.

That is what I have seen too. I was hoping I was not looking in the right places. I still have some time to look.