Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
elwood_98034

Diabetic Drinks

Recommended Posts

I will be on the Joy (Haven) in August, and as a diabetic I am very strictly limited in what I can eat or drink. The food situation is manageable, but for drinks I am anticipating some problems.

 

Does anyone know if Diet sodas are available on board. Preferably caffeine free, as well as sugar free.

 

I haven't asked the Accessibility Desk about it yet, it just popped into my head. I would prefer a week of not just water to drink if possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in this as well.  By the way, do you know anything about diabetic deserts on ship?  Previously I have seen sugar free, but that is only the tip of the iceberg as we know--lots of deserts have flour/rice/tapioca etc that shoots up glucose levels...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Diet Pepsi and I believe one other diet soda flavor.  Also, ice tea in the buffet is unsweetened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Haven bartenders are amazing! Talk to them and they fill find something you like! They add Simple Syrup to most cocktails, so they can limit or omit it (not sure if they have a substitute 

They have Diet Sierra Mist and Diet Pepsi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aside from diet pepsi, you can find diet sierra mist (lemon-lime soda) at some bars.  You can get club soda\seltzer from any bar and ask for lemon/lime wedges.  You can bring flavor additives (like MiO drops) to flavor your water. 

 

The MDR's, buffet, Haven Restuarant, and most specialty restaurant will offer some sugar-free desserts.  There will NOT be a broad or deep number of choices, but they will be available.

 

Being on a cruise is not a helluva lot different than going out to eat at a restaurant in terms of choices.  There will be choices, but not as many as if you were in your own home.  I struggle to control my blood sugar on normal days, but I have found that being on a cruise doesn't make that process harder..it is simply my choices that make it harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Jade there was a dispenser with some 0 calorie flavored waters, plus there's also diet Pepsi.  You can order drinks made without simple syrup or sugar (I'd still be very clear and ask if ANY sweetener is used) and carry your own artificial sweetener or swipe some from the buffet for YOU to add if you want it.  There are some drinks that just mention fruit puree but not sweetener, I'm sure you know that the purees are most likely made with added sugar (at least I assume they are) so depending on how careful  you have to be, you may want to avoid those as well.  If there are drinks that are noted as being made with sodas (ginger ale, sprite, etc) you can always ask to have club soda substituted and again add your own sweetener.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, guitarcrazy said:

I'm interested in this as well.  By the way, do you know anything about diabetic deserts on ship?  Previously I have seen sugar free, but that is only the tip of the iceberg as we know--lots of deserts have flour/rice/tapioca etc that shoots up glucose levels...

I am taking baby steps just now. I saw a video where I saw an unsweetened cake of some sort, but I have pretty much given up on the whole dessert concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

I am taking baby steps just now. I saw a video where I saw an unsweetened cake of some sort, but I have pretty much given up on the whole dessert concept.

Elwood, I make a ton of desserts for my husband (brittle diabetic) using almond flour or coconut flour (google and you will be very pleasantly surprised) as well as sugar free puddings thickened with guar gum (easy to buy on Amazon) etc.  These are pretty easy to make at home, and I am no skilled cook.  When we go out to eat hubby only orders berries for dessert or a cheese plate.  It  would be nice if the cruise line would make some deserts/ice cream available.  There are lots of diabetics...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finding Diet Pepsi is easy, but Diet Sierra Mist is more difficult. On our last cruise, they ran out of it towards the end of the cruise no matter which bar we asked for it.

 

You might want to consider contacting the Access Desk to get permission to bring something on if it is important to you. I have a liquid exemption so I can bring on small cans on diet ginger ale -- I'm also a diabetic and will occasionally get sea sick -- even after taking medication for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

I will be on the Joy (Haven) in August, and as a diabetic I am very strictly limited in what I can eat or drink. The food situation is manageable, but for drinks I am anticipating some problems.

 

Does anyone know if Diet sodas are available on board. Preferably caffeine free, as well as sugar free.

 

I haven't asked the Accessibility Desk about it yet, it just popped into my head. I would prefer a week of not just water to drink if possible.

Diet Pepsi and Diet Sierra Mist. Nothing caffeine free that I have seen. Lots of NSA desserts, but that is not "sugar free". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a diabetic and live a ketogenic lifestyle. Straight alcohol is ok (scotch, whiskey, vodka , etc) with seltzer, diet soda or straight up. There are some low carb beers but Im not sure they have them (michelob ultra, Corona premium, etc). deserts will be hard onboard. I usually go with sugar free jello if they have or the cheese plate.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what kind of alternative sweetener packets they have?   I am going to request a bowl of raspberries for dessert.   You can request anything the night before and you can also look at the menu for the next night and they can adjust the plate or preparation for you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they have sweet and low, splenda, equal (pink, yellow, blue packets).  they do have unsweetened ice tea in the buffet as well as hot tea and coffee.  And if you want a pancake or french toast for breakfast, they do have sugar free syrup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hftmrock said:

I am a diabetic and live a ketogenic lifestyle. Straight alcohol is ok (scotch, whiskey, vodka , etc) with seltzer, diet soda or straight up. There are some low carb beers but Im not sure they have them (michelob ultra, Corona premium, etc). deserts will be hard onboard. I usually go with sugar free jello if they have or the cheese plate.

 

 

I know they had Michelob Ultra on the Jade and the Jewel ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

they have sweet and low, splenda, equal (pink, yellow, blue packets).  they do have unsweetened ice tea in the buffet as well as hot tea and coffee.  And if you want a pancake or french toast for breakfast, they do have sugar free syrup.

Thank you!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to remember is that there are diabetics on every single sailing of every single ship. It's not an anomaly. The cruise line knows how to do this. Contact the accessibility desk as mentioned above and they will flag your account. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...