Majesty or Empress to Cuba in November

As a large ship enthusiast, it is really hard for me to choose either of these ships.  Both have negative reviews - dirty, smelly, moldy, etc.  But, if I want to cruise to Cuba, my options are limited, and the other cruiseline's offerings aren't any better.

Any thoughts or recommendations?  (we aren't interested in a land trip)

I feel your pain. I’m holding off until they send a Vision class to Cuba. 

We thought the Sovereign class felt old and small in 2010, can’t imagine after ten years. 

That said I would probably do Majesty since at least you have the larger pool deck, full Viking Crown lounge, etc. 

7 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Better fitness center on Majesty is one difference that comes to mind.  MJ also has O3b internet, not sure about Empress.

LOL Bob. The fitness center is one place on a ship into which I do not take a step!  

However, internet is important to me!

Edited by DonnaK

7 hours ago, kruzerci said:

I feel your pain. I’m holding off until they send a Vision class to Cuba. 

We thought the Sovereign class felt old and small in 2010, can’t imagine after ten years. 

That said I would probably do Majesty since at least you have the larger pool deck, full Viking Crown lounge, etc. 

Thanks for your advice!  We were leaning towards MJ too, even though Empress has the better itinerary and price.

26 minutes ago, DonnaK said:

LOL Bob. The fitness center is one place on a ship into which I do not take a step!  

However, internet is important to me!

How about a kiddie pool?  MJ has a swim diaper area.

• Haha 1

I have been to Cuba on both of the ships, and am going back again in Sept on the Majesty.  Agreed,they are older ships and don’t have all the extras the larger ships have.

The crews on both ships are outstanding, and truly care that you enjoy the ship.  They are always cleaning and polishing with big smiles.  We have found the food and service as good, or better than the larger ships.  You are going to Cuba, keep an open mind and enjoy the island history, you will be fine.

Just recently back from Cuba on Empress and had a great time.  Yes we prefer Voyager / Freedom class ships but it's mostly about the destination for us.  While the ship is small, it is amazingly quick to get around as you don't have as far to walk.  🙂

We did hear that the main reason for the smaller ships is that they are not allowed to overhang the end of the dock in Havana.  Empress is the only ship in Royal's fleet that is short enough to do so.  They were only allowed to sail Majesty in after the restrictions were relaxed a bit.  Majesty now sticks out a few meters from the end of the dock.

Beyond the length, I'm not sure how a larger ship would even fit width wise at the dock in Havana.  It felt really tight getting Empress into port.

41 minutes ago, Rewind said:

Beyond the length, I'm not sure how a larger ship would even fit width wise at the dock in Havana.  It felt really tight getting Empress into port.

Virgin plans to call there almost every week starting next year with their 110K GT ship - roughy twice the size of Empress. 

Thanks for all the input!

I'm not so concerned about lack of bells and whistles, or the smallness of the ship.

My concern is cleanliness and quality of the food.  They may be old ships, but I don't want them to feel old, musty, dirty.  

1 hour ago, DonnaK said:

Thanks for all the input!

I'm not so concerned about lack of bells and whistles, or the smallness of the ship.

My concern is cleanliness and quality of the food.  They may be old ships, but I don't want them to feel old, musty, dirty.  

Empress had a refurb just recently so I don’t think you will find her old, musty or dirty. 

We were on her in November and she wasn’t bad then, which was before the refurb. Like you we prefer the bigger ships - we were on Symphony the week before Empress- but we were prepared to accept the smaller ship in order to get to Cuba. It was wonderful and definitely worth it. 

No diamond lounge. When we were on her there wasn’t even a diamond event! I noted on my survey my dissatisfaction with the loyalty offering on Empress overall and have hear more recently they have been doing an event, so that’s better than nothing. 

Hello, Donna!

My husband and I went to Cuba on Empress in January.   While we adored Cuba and will return for a much longer land-based vacation, we did not care for Empress and would not sail it again.

My husband and I are very laid-back, carry-on only, bookish and quiet travelers for whom it takes a lot to complain about something.  However, Empress smelled pungently of sewage on a few decks for the entire cruise, our air conditioning on deck 7 aft did not work properly even after 4 trips to guest services. Our jagged metal bathroom faucet lacked hot water for 2 days and also required 4 trips to guest services to fix.  The previous cruise and ours had a "gastrointestinal illness" and while that happens, the clean-up of suffers' symptoms in some public areas was very lacking.

My Time dining was very disorganized and despite our request for 2-tops, we had to sit at a 10-top and dinner took well over 2 hours.

Our interior cabin was the tiniest we have ever had - even on very small expedition ships were large by comparison.  We knew that and were not deterred as we travel light.  It could be a big issue for those who pack more/travel in larger family groups.

While we have not been on Majesty, if we were to travel to Cuba again by ship, we would definitely not choose Empress.  There are other cruise lines that go to Cuba.

Regardless of what ship you choose, bone up on your Spanish (it came in quite handy for us on our private tour) and have a wonderful time.   

The positives were a friendly crew, the Diamond drinks despite no Diamond lounge and Cuba itself.

Wishing you calm seas and blue skies! 🚢

Edited by Bookish Angel

Recent reviews keep mentioning sewage smells. Ship was fine back in July 2016 when we sailed her before she started going to Cuba. My full payment is due today on our August  Empress. cruise. Calling today to cancel. Luckily I booked the refundable option.

Edited by coaster

I am a Diamond - but when we went to Cuba - we chose Oceania  (excellent food)  - and an inside for costs.  We usually book a balcony - but survived.  It was all about Cuba.  Overnighted in Havanna.  Booked 4 different private tour guides.  It was an amazing trip and I'd like to go again.

Edited by crilski

On 5/30/2019 at 6:26 PM, DonnaK said:

and the other cruiseline's offerings aren't any better?

1 hour ago, crilski said:

I am a Diamond - but when we went to Cuba - we chose Oceania  (excellent food)  - and an inside for costs.  We usually book a balcony - but survived.  It was all about Cuba.  Overnighted in Havanna.  Booked 4 different private tour guides.  It was an amazing trip and I'd like to go again.

This +1.

Take a good hard look at Oceania's Sirena, with brand new $100,000,000 renovation, superb itineraries many with overnights at all 3 of Cuba's main ports for full days (not like Royal where they purposely misrepresent and say they overnight, but leave at 2am or 5am)

49 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

This +1.

Take a good hard look at Oceania's Sirena, with brand new $100,000,000 renovation, superb itineraries many with overnights at all 3 of Cuba's main ports for full days (not like Royal where they purposely misrepresent and say they overnight, but leave at 2am or 5am)

I miss Fathom Adonia. We went to Cuba on her in February of 2017. Classy former Renaissance ship. Only 700 passengers on ship about half the size of Empress. Wish Carnival had not disbanded Fathom so soon. 

Edited by coaster

20 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

This +1.

Just looked, but sadly they do not have a cruise to Cuba scheduled for the week I have off from work.

Edited by DonnaK

On 5/30/2019 at 9:26 PM, DonnaK said:

As a large ship enthusiast, it is really hard for me to choose either of these ships.  Both have negative reviews - dirty, smelly, moldy, etc.  But, if I want to cruise to Cuba, my options are limited, and the other cruiseline's offerings aren't any better.

Any thoughts or recommendations?  (we aren't interested in a land trip)

We have sailed quite a bit on Majesty and done Empress once.  We had a terrific time on Empress, don't get me wrong. The crew was great....food is always subjective and for us it was good (but we are easy food people to please).  The layout of Empress, as small as she is can be mindboggling.  It has an interesting patio off of Bolero's that they make good use of for 'events'....but Majesty is more like a normal layout of a ship.  Cabins are a bit bigger, but of course not like her bigger sisters.

We have booked a cruise to Cuba in January 2020 and it is on Majesty.....so that tells you my answer.  For me, the gym is important which I know is not an issue to you.