Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Disfan5

Summit family veranda new pictures?

Recommended Posts

I sailed in one of these fabulous corner FOVs long before all this refurbishment nonsense came up.  And we had a lovely large dining table and a smaller table.  I don't think they have a storeroom on board where they stash dining tables in case people request them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2019 at 9:03 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Clearly they weren't thinking.  They have removed the dining table from all the cabin balconies that had them, not just this one.  A shame as this was a wonderful amenity, particularly in this cabin.  Spent many an hour at that former table.

 

We have a solution for the dining table - a $25 folding aluminum camp table from Aldi. Not ideal to tote our own furniture onboard, but now we know we will be able to enjoy family room service dinners on the veranda!

 

image.png.cd11e4e9fe44d74bb6287a6879b562e0.png

Edited by GoHoward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, GoHoward said:

 

We have a solution for the dining table - a $25 folding aluminum camp table from Aldi. Not ideal to tote our own furniture onboard, but now we know we will be able to enjoy family room service dinners on the veranda!

Why?? Passengers should not have to bring their own solutions on board! If it turns out that there isn't a proper table there, request one. You've paid a premium for that cabin.

Edited by bkbarrym

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have any pictures of the beds open in the other room because we never did have any reason to open them.  there was only 2 of us.  sorry I can't help with that.

 

I did mention in another post that there is no normal electric plug anywhere near to a mirror.  so it was a challenge to blow dry hair, (style hair actually)  without a mirror.   (there was a shaver plug in the bathroom with a mirror).

 

the one upgrade that I loved since our last times in this cabin (2010,2011)  was the new decking on the balcony.  I only know that was done sometime since 2011,  but don't know when. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, lkneller said:

the one upgrade that I loved since our last times in this cabin (2010,2011)  was the new decking on the balcony.  I only know that was done sometime since 2011,  but don't know when. 

 

 

It looks like it was done as part of the recent Revolution dry dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lkneller said:

I do not have any pictures of the beds open in the other room because we never did have any reason to open them.  there was only 2 of us.  sorry I can't help with that.

 

I did mention in another post that there is no normal electric plug anywhere near to a mirror.  so it was a challenge to blow dry hair, (style hair actually)  without a mirror.   (there was a shaver plug in the bathroom with a mirror).

 

the one upgrade that I loved since our last times in this cabin (2010,2011)  was the new decking on the balcony.  I only know that was done sometime since 2011,  but don't know when. 

 

 

 

We will be 3 women staying in the family veranda.  Is there a desk with a outlet that we could sit a portable folding mirror to do our

hair and makeup?

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Elainemh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, there is an outlet on the desk, and a portable folding mirror would be a very good idea.    

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lkneller said:

Yes, there is an outlet on the desk, and a portable folding mirror would be a very good idea.    

 

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just down graded from Concierge aft to FV corner cabin 8181 on the Summit.  Had this cabin twice before and loved it so we jumped on it and saved a couple hundred in the process.  
The updated cabin looks very nice. 

A little disappointed about the large table on the balcony being taken away.
Our daughter and granddaughter will be on this cruise in an OV cabin and I thought the large table would be great for us all when they stop by for a visit.
You have to wonder why they make the decisions they do sometimes.  But it's always about the bottom line, isn't it?🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you look on the last page of the M-class cabin reviews, someone just posted photos of the updated FV from Summit. Enjoy your cruise! It looks like a great cabin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2019 at 9:42 AM, bkbarrym said:

Perhaps these larger tables were never part of the original floorplan for these cabins but added by request along the way and just left there for others to enjoy. They look as though they were borrowed from other areas of the ship. When these ships were revolutionized everything was likely removed and went back to plan without them. Passengers going forward should try to request them to restart the cycle. Just my thought.

 

I agree, what you say seems to make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, webecruzin2 said:

Just down graded from Concierge aft to FV corner cabin 8181 on the Summit.  Had this cabin twice before and loved it so we jumped on it and saved a couple hundred in the process.  
The updated cabin looks very nice. 

A little disappointed about the large table on the balcony being taken away.
Our daughter and granddaughter will be on this cruise in an OV cabin and I thought the large table would be great for us all when they stop by for a visit.
You have to wonder why they make the decisions they do sometimes.  But it's always about the bottom line, isn't it?🙄

 

How does it help the bottom line to discard a perfectly good table and replace it with a piece of junk?  Sorry, I don't get that.

 

Good decision on the move though.  Love those cabins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe those tables were borrowed from somewhere else.  They've been there for years and it makes sense if you have a "Family Veranda" cabin large enough for 5 people to have a "family" table.
As for saving money,   they just updated the cabins and those large tables were of solid quality but old and showing their age.
Replacing them with good quality larger tables would have cost more than the smaller, as you say  "piece of junk" they chose.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, webecruzin2 said:

I don't believe those tables were borrowed from somewhere else.  They've been there for years and it makes sense if you have a "Family Veranda" cabin large enough for 5 people to have a "family" table.
As for saving money,   they just updated the cabins and those large tables were of solid quality but old and showing their age.
Replacing them with good quality larger tables would have cost more than the smaller, as you say  "piece of junk" they chose.
 

 

I know those tables weren't borrowed from someplace else.  Yes, they have been there for years.  If the finish was wearing out, refinish them.  They were teak.  Teak is meant to age gracefully.  Left unvarnished, it naturally turns grey (like some of us!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 1:12 PM, lkneller said:

Yes, there is an outlet on the desk, and a portable folding mirror would be a very good idea.    

 

 

Wait...there isn’t an outlet by a mirror? Are you sure? That is insane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BlueSkiesTX said:

Wait...there isn’t an outlet by a mirror? Are you sure? That is insane. 

If you look at the pictures in post 2 you can see there is no mirror above the desk.

I purchased a 12X10 mirror from Amazon to bring with us.

Elaine

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Elainemh said:

If you look at the pictures in post 2 you can see there is no mirror above the desk.

I purchased a 12X10 mirror from Amazon to bring with us.

Elaine

 

 

 

That is a terrible design flaw. We are in FV on Summit this Thanksgiving. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlueSkiesTX said:

 

That is a terrible design flaw. We are in FV on Summit this Thanksgiving. 

Once upon a time there were mirrors.  Guess millennials don't need them?  Or designers hate them?  Who knows?  I agree about terrible design flaws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 1:08 PM, Xcelsior said:

Must you always be so negative?  Don't pop somebody else's balloon.

I was going to say the same thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

 Guess millennials don't need them?

 

You know, not everything is our fault. We don't get together in committee rooms and sit around deciding what we want to spoil for everyone. We use mirrors too. 🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TheGinBoy said:

 

You know, not everything is our fault. We don't get together in committee rooms and sit around deciding what we want to spoil for everyone. We use mirrors too. 🙄

 

Not blaming the millennials.  Blaming the idiot designers who think they have millennials figured out but really don't have a clue.  Of course you use mirrors!  And my guess is you value comfortable and functional chairs just as much as the rest of us.  But Celebrity keeps blathering on about how that is the target group they are trying to appeal to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the original poster asking this question.  I was in the same boat for an October cruise.

 

We were given a guaranteed stateroom and ended up in the new bank of tiny cabins and balconies on the 10th floor.  The more I read, the worse it sounded - especially for a 2 week cruise.  Tiny vanity?  Plastic desk chair?  No room for room service?  No room to scoot a walker between the bed and wall?  Itty bitty balcony?  Just wasn't looking grand.  So the hunt was on.

 

To my amazement, there were quite a few family verandas remaining for hardly any more $$.  Wasn't the case several weeks ago when I checked - it was over a grand to make the switch.  Not the case this time.  I took what was "offered" to me.  9199 which is next to the corner aft.  For grins, I looked online and saw that both corner afts were still open.  Slide me over again!  Now we have 9197 and I am thrilled.  

 

I have only read positive things about this corner aft and have decided to end my search and thank my lucky stars.  Celebrity should be excited too as I was on Booking Confirmation revision #9 haha.  In my defense, it only involved 3 cabin changes.  Done!

 

So excited!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2019 at 2:01 PM, Lisa77064 said:

Thanks for the original poster asking this question.  I was in the same boat for an October cruise.

 

We were given a guaranteed stateroom and ended up in the new bank of tiny cabins and balconies on the 10th floor.  The more I read, the worse it sounded - especially for a 2 week cruise.  Tiny vanity?  Plastic desk chair?  No room for room service?  No room to scoot a walker between the bed and wall?  Itty bitty balcony?  Just wasn't looking grand.  So the hunt was on.

 

To my amazement, there were quite a few family verandas remaining for hardly any more $$.  Wasn't the case several weeks ago when I checked - it was over a grand to make the switch.  Not the case this time.  I took what was "offered" to me.  9199 which is next to the corner aft.  For grins, I looked online and saw that both corner afts were still open.  Slide me over again!  Now we have 9197 and I am thrilled.  

 

I have only read positive things about this corner aft and have decided to end my search and thank my lucky stars.  Celebrity should be excited too as I was on Booking Confirmation revision #9 haha.  In my defense, it only involved 3 cabin changes.  Done!

 

So excited!  

we just booked and were able to get 9156 (the other corner) ... we have stayed in one of these several times and i will say that they are awesome ... another tid bit that we found that we enjoy is, if you don't get the drink package, is the "State-Room Bar Set Up"..nice to have in the room and able to enjoy a cocktail on that large veranda ... hope to see you on board ...Sybil and Scoby from Virginia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sybil, Congrats on getting your corner of the ship.  Can't wait.  

 

We will be on Vision next May as well.  We are on a wait list for a Family Veranda.  Too early to release them to "smaller families".  Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there 1 hair dryer in the FV or are there 2? Three women cruising together in a FV.

 

Laura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...