Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
mafig

Adventure vs. Explorer

Recommended Posts

Which ship do you prefer?  I know they're sister ships.  We actually were on Explorer of the Seas in 2001!  Seems like yesterday.  However, it's not yesterday.:classic_sad:

 

Which ship is in better condition.  Doing a quick read of current reviews, it seems Adventure gets pretty good reviews while Explorer's reviews are not great.

 

The room category we'd select would probably be a Junior Suite.  Itinerary Southern Caribbean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mafig said:

 

Which ship is in better condition. 

Until the Explorer dry dock, Adventure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, mafig said:

Which ship do you prefer?  I know they're sister ships.  We actually were on Explorer of the Seas in 2001!  Seems like yesterday.  However, it's not yesterday.:classic_sad:

 

Which ship is in better condition.  Doing a quick read of current reviews, it seems Adventure gets pretty good reviews while Explorer's reviews are not great.

 

The room category we'd select would probably be a Junior Suite.  Itinerary Southern Caribbean.

 

The ships are virtually identical, I'd pick whichever gives you the better price and/or itinerary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.  I did mention that I know the ships are sister ships.  However, I was asking if anyone knew which ship was in better condition since the reviews are not similar (at all).  Thanks, Biker 19.  I have found out that Explorer is due for a dry dock in 2020.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Explorer a rust bucket?!

4 hours ago, mafig said:

Which ship do you prefer?  I know they're sister ships.  We actually were on Explorer of the Seas in 2001!  Seems like yesterday.  However, it's not yesterday.:classic_sad:

 

Which ship is in better condition.  Doing a quick read of current reviews, it seems Adventure gets pretty good reviews while Explorer's reviews are not great.

 

The room category we'd select would probably be a Junior Suite.  Itinerary Southern Caribbean.

Explorer is a total rust bucket - find the pictures in this forum and judge for yourself...🙄

 

 

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for those pictures .  It'll help me make up my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read the thread where those photos were first posted. Any problems have been addressed.

 

(If you go looking for faults  it'll become self fulfilling)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Read the thread where those photos were first posted. Any problems have been addressed.

 

(If you go looking for faults  it'll become self fulfilling)

 

This.  We've been on EX several times and are booked again next January pre dry dock.  Yes she's a little tired but still a great ship and crew.  Have also been on AD many times and she's a great ship as well.  I'd go with the best itinerary and price, you can't go wrong either way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, #1cruiseaholic said:

When is drydock scheduled for Explorer? We will be on the TA in Nov 2020.

 

Spring 2020.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

Read the thread where those photos were first posted. Any problems have been addressed.

 

(If you go looking for faults  it'll become self fulfilling)

Not true! 👎

Some things were repaired......but some can not be done until drydock - so at this point the ship is just not up to date and does not compare to the other RCI ships that we know....it is old and worn and that will not change until drydock.😥

Also the offerings on the ship are below standard - as eg the WJ is so old it does not even have the capability to offer things other ships have ben offering for years.....as just one little example:

If you like fresh waffels fo breakfast - no such thing on Explorer....as they do not have the waffel stations in the WJ.....and the list goes on and on....😱

Explorer  not a BAD ship....just old and not up todate and not what you expect from RCI - so set your expectations low!🙄

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, #1cruiseaholic said:

When is drydock scheduled for Explorer? We will be on the TA in Nov 2020.

You are fine...it is in spring 2020!👍

I would stay away from Explorer until drydock - it was the worst RCI experience when it comes to maitenance and offerings for us....a bit disappointing....😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Explorer  not a BAD ship....just old and not up todate and not what you expect from RCI - so set your expectations low!🙄

Explorer is not all that old; it was built in 2000 but had a dry dock in 2015 during which some big changes were made, such as adding Izumi and new staterooms on decks 3 and 12.  The added staterooms are in all Voyager Class ships and are a mixed blessing since they reduce the space ratio.  However, the Explorer does not have many of the bells and whistles that were added to the Mariner and the Navigator.  The Adventure had its dry dock in 2018 but it is still not as up-to-date as those other two.  On the other hand, the Explorer still has some nice original features that have been removed from the Adventure such as the library on deck 7 overlooking the Promenade, the Concierge Club on deck 9 and the Connoisseur Club on deck 5.  Last time I was on the ship, that Concierge Club still admitted Diamond Plus members, which eased the overcrowding in the Diamond Club.  Personally, I think the ships are close enough to equal that the decision should be based on itinerary and price, rather than on the ship.

Edited by actuarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, actuarian said:

On the other hand, the Explorer still has some nice original features that have been removed from the Adventure such as the library on deck 7 overlooking the Promenade, the Concierge Club on deck 9 and the Connoisseur Club on deck 5.

If you value this.....it might make up for some of the short commings!👍

We have been on Adverture before her drydock - she was a beauty compared to Explorer....never ever was she that rundown!👍

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, actuarian said:

Explorer is not all that old; it was built in 2000 but had a dry dock in 2015 during which some big changes were made, such as adding Izumi and new staterooms on decks 3 and 12.  The added staterooms are in all Voyager Class ships and are a mixed blessing since they reduce the space ratio.  However, the Explorer does not have many of the bells and whistles that were added to the Mariner and the Navigator.  The Adventure had its dry dock in 2018 but it is still not as up-to-date as those other two.  On the other hand, the Explorer still has some nice original features that have been removed from the Adventure such as the library on deck 7 overlooking the Promenade, the Concierge Club on deck 9 and the Connoisseur Club on deck 5.  Last time I was on the ship, that Concierge Club still admitted Diamond Plus members, which eased the overcrowding in the Diamond Club.  Personally, I think the ships are close enough to equal that the decision should be based on itinerary and price, rather than on the ship.

Re-post was accidental but I do not know how to remove it.

Edited by actuarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed Explorer for our Alaska cruise in September 2018. We thought she was lovely. No issues. We’ve also sailed Freedom, Oasis and Symphony (and Disney Dream). She doesn’t have water slides but our cabins (aft balcony and promenade view) were clean, serviceable and comfortable. Dining was great at MDR, Windjammer, Chops and Giovanni’s. The bars and theatre were comfortable. We enjoyed the pools and solarium. We had no complaints. If you get a price and itinerary that suits you, I’d say go for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 3:50 PM, mafig said:

Which ship do you prefer?  I know they're sister ships.  We actually were on Explorer of the Seas in 2001!  Seems like yesterday.  However, it's not yesterday.:classic_sad:

 

Which ship is in better condition.  Doing a quick read of current reviews, it seems Adventure gets pretty good reviews while Explorer's reviews are not great.

 

The room category we'd select would probably be a Junior Suite.  Itinerary Southern Caribbean.

We were on her in 2002, in 2 junior suites.

Cheap prices way back then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even a worn Voyager Class ship before a major dry dock compared to Empres s and Majesty are considered a brand new ship 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 7:52 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Explorer a rust bucket?!

Explorer is a total rust bucket - find the pictures in this forum and judge for yourself...🙄

 

 

Once you have read the above review read this review also.

We were on the Explorer in June 2019 and found Sancho_proudfoot  review more accurate

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on Adventure in 2014, Explorer in 2016 and again in 2018. My impression was Explorer was in better shape. I will be back on Adventure next month so we’ll see but the difference between the two was minimal to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...