Can I rent a kettle...?

NIX70

Please excuse the rather random question but we are first-time NCL cruisers on Jade next month and we NEED our cup of tea first thing in the morning (what can I say, we're English!). As we're in a standard OV, and from reading some of the posts on here, it doesn't look like there will be a coffee maker or anything like it in the cabin. Room service/continental breakfast order isn't ideal as we're not good at waiting.

So my question is: has anyone ever asked NCL for a kettle or coffee maker to be put in their cabin? If so, was there a rental charge? Happy to pay it, just trying to sort out our options.

TIA

Nicola

I don't think you can rent one.  I would request a coffeemaker, if your cabin doesn't have one.  Not sure how that would work, either.

Best bet, if you don't like to wait, go to the Garden Cafe and get hot water.  Or, if you specify a time for room service, and stipulate a time earlier than you usually rise.  You'll be certain to have hot water delivered to your room in a timely fashion.

I need a tea first thing in the morning too but I usually just went up the buffet and made myself two (those cups are too small). Other morning, I would go to O'Sheehans and they would bring me a pot which was lovely.

8 hours ago, NIX70 said:

Thanks everyone, that clears it up.

Nicola

I drink lots of tea and have figured out a few things. Don't order room service hot water. They use

the same containers for coffee and hot water and the water always has a slight coffee taste to it.

If you do get a coffee maker flush it out first. We use bottled water or regular water is probably

fine too. After a couple of flushes it is fine.  My personal preference is to go up to the garden

café and get hot water. I bring my own mug from home. I have heard people bring a thermos

and pour hot water from the spigot in there to bring to their room but I have never tried that.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2019 at 11:35 AM, NIX70 said:

Please excuse the rather random question but we are first-time NCL cruisers on Jade next month and we NEED our cup of tea first thing in the morning (what can I say, we're English!). As we're in a standard OV, and from reading some of the posts on here, it doesn't look like there will be a coffee maker or anything like it in the cabin. Room service/continental breakfast order isn't ideal as we're not good at waiting.

So my question is: has anyone ever asked NCL for a kettle or coffee maker to be put in their cabin? If so, was there a rental charge? Happy to pay it, just trying to sort out our options.

TIA

Nicola

Unfortunately you cannot. NCL will not all items with heating elements in the cabins.

If you're ok with Coffee-tasting tea... I'm not ... you can ask for a coffee-maker regardless of the cabin you're in.  I would suggest getting and possibly even making, your tea in the buffet.  the water is very hot and there are several types of tea available.   I'm a bit fussy so bring my own tea. 

I drink very little coffee and would gladly give my coffee maker to someone else.  Never been asked for it though, altough have been asked for my cabin... that didn't happen either. Guess I'm just selfish.. 

Good to know...didn't know...should have known....been on all except Fred Olsen...never thought to ask...just knew that every time I was on a Celebrity the Brits had a kettle.:classic_rolleyes:🍹 I don't drink tea much.

On 5/31/2019 at 11:35 AM, NIX70 said:

TIA

Nicola

I remembered that I ran into a woman on the elevator and she had a teapot. I asked her and she said she asked for one and then would fill it with hot water from buffet and go back to room. I suppose you could do the same thing.