Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
wesport

Interesting ob cabin assignments

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, texanaust said:

I imagine that not giving great upgrades to loyal club members might have something to do with reminding us that should we really want that V6, we need to pay for it in advance.

Exactly - I made a very similar observation earlier in this thread. If they allocated the OBs in priority order of club membership level instead of randomly as it seems they do, it wouldn't take very long before everyone worked that out. So after sailing a few cruises many more club members would pay the minimum OB fare and know they'd have an almost 100% chance of picking up one of the higher-priced suites. By keeping it, at least seemingly, random every time we book we at least think, should we play the lottery again or pay the uplift and be certain and I'm sure many others do too. Last cruise we were late enough it really wasn't an option, it was OB or V8 and the difference was just crazy so we bought a lottery ticket for that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Assigned V2 521 (Sojourn) 6 days before departure. I’m happy with that.

Edited by HPSOV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HPSOV, we were assigned 621 and liked it very much.  You will hear nothing at all from the elevator.  This puts you down the hall from the Club--handy for late night partying if you are so inclined.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had 521 (or close to) on a very rough ride out of Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale.  I was never so happy to be on deck 5 middle in my life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm...our suite 621 was down the hall from the Grand Salon----not from the Club.  What was I thinking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on Sojourn for 14 day Alaska Aug. 31st-Sept. 14 in an OB.  We have done this several times on various lines and ships and have never been disappointed, but, if you get a cabin you wouldn't have chosen, I guess you should accept or choose as this is not a guarantee of a particular room but of a category level.  Having said that, I'm secretly hoping for a Penthouse!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main concern for me is not knowing your actual assignment until just before the cruise.  Last December we sailed on Viking Ocean and received our cabin assignment in June.  That’s unusual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wildcat68 said:

The main concern for me is not knowing your actual assignment until just before the cruise.  Last December we sailed on Viking Ocean and received our cabin assignment in June.  That’s unusual.

Why is this a concern?  Just curious.  Finding out sooner would not change anything.  If you sign up for an OB with SB, not finding out until just before the cruise is just part of it.  I figure that there is a reason for this.  People are still deciding to join the voyage and selecting their own suite numbers.  Right before the voyage, this is all completed and SB can assign from the remaining suites.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it’s not a concern but more anticipation.  I’ve seen posts when people were leaving for the ship without knowing their cabin and some get “antsy”.  There is a certain amount of fun hoping for the big upgrade, or, just not knowing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 7:48 PM, wildcat68 said:

We are booked on Sojourn for 14 day Alaska Aug. 31st-Sept. 14 in an OB.  We have done this several times on various lines and ships and have never been disappointed, but, if you get a cabin you wouldn't have chosen, I guess you should accept or choose as this is not a guarantee of a particular room but of a category level.  Having said that, I'm secretly hoping for a Penthouse!

We’ve done almost 10 cruises on SB as OB. We have always gotten our room our assignment 10 - 14 days out and have never been disappointed in the suite assigned to us.  Every veranda suite is the same (except for the HC ones) and it just comes down to location. We love having the same suite no matter which SB ship we’re on and always feel home when we get on board. It’s a real Awwww moment when we first walk into our suite after a long journey to get there. Champagne awaits and the vacation begins. 

 

Give up hoping for a PH suite as they almost always the first suites to book up.  If you don’t expect it you won’t be disappointed. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, raphael360 said:

We’ve done almost 10 cruises on SB as OB. We have always gotten our room our assignment 10 - 14 days out and have never been disappointed in the suite assigned to us.  Every veranda suite is the same (except for the HC ones) and it just comes down to location. We love having the same suite no matter which SB ship we’re on and always feel home when we get on board. It’s a real Awwww moment when we first walk into our suite after a long journey to get there. Champagne awaits and the vacation begins. 

 

Give up hoping for a PH suite as they almost always the first suites to book up.  If you don’t expect it you won’t be disappointed. 😀

Hoping for a Penthouse but expecting deck 5 or 6 in a veranda which is very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll bet you get a higher deck maybe even 8 but here’s the good news.  All of the suites are excellent:). Cruise ships sell suites top down and bottom up. Penthouse suites and V1/V2 suites sell first so deck 5 and 6 are the first to sell.  I’ve been on every deck (except the penthouse deck) and they are all great.  Let not your heart be troubled.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 8:29 PM, texanaust said:

 

You missed the 'at a realistic price' part.  The reason Seabourn is giving away the suites to guarantees is that they cannot upsell them at $6000pp.

 

So you'd think that they would optimize their algorithm and sell them for $4,000 or $3,000 or $2,500 or whatever would result in a sale. Why not pull in more revenue and instead randomly give away upgrades some users would pay a 'realistic price' for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

 

So you'd think that they would optimize their algorithm and sell them for $4,000 or $3,000 or $2,500 or whatever would result in a sale. Why not pull in more revenue and instead randomly give away upgrades some users would pay a 'realistic price' for? 

Probably to 'protect' passengers paying full price.  SB gets a lot of complaints from customers paying X price and then seeing their vacation discounted by 2,3,4K+ after final payment.  Same holds true for discounting the high-end suites just before sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We booked a veranda guarantee, and received an upgrade offer to a penthouse for $2799 each, which for a 12 day cruise was not a bad price. However when I called, they were sold out. All the cabins are nice, so it really didn’t matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just booked a SV GTY for the April 2020 Trans-Atlantic from Miami to Barcelona.  I'm not really concerned about location.  I'm sailing solo and the SV GTY offered a lower single supplement.  

Edited by hencoll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are about 1 week to 10 days from realistically expecting our suite assignment.  This is where I begin to get excited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2019 at 1:59 PM, alwaysonaship said:

We always book a guarantee on Seabourn as personally there are no bad cabins.

I agree!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, alwaysonaship said:

We are waiting for our assignment for Canada next month.  The ship appears to be full 

 

maybe you'll get the Captain's quarters!  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...