Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Jim_Iain

Jim_Iain Live!!! - B2B Summit New England and Bermuda Jun 5 & 16th

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

We were on Summit last week.  The Sundeck menu is every day including port days.  I was surprised to find out that drinks are NOT complimentary on the Sundeck like they are in the lounge.  Of course drink packages can be used.

 

Last week Im pretty sure there was the Luminae signature burger and a marinated grilled chicken sandwich on the retreat sundeck menu?? Am I losing my mind? Lol

1 hour ago, chemmo said:

That menu for the Retreat looks rather limited....I was expecting a little more. Is this what we should expect on Equinox?

 

Is that it for the full cruise or does it change daily?

 

The menu up on the retreat sundeck stayed the same everyday while we were on Summit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chemmo said:

That menu for the Retreat looks rather limited....I was expecting a little more. Is this what we should expect on Equinox?

 

Is that it for the full cruise or does it change daily?

That is just the light fare in the Retreat.  It does not change daily.  I believe it will be the same on the other ships.   In the Retreat Lounge they also have a more extensive buffet iron sea days Lunch in Luminea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Just found this thread and have caught up. Did your suitcases have time to air out from your Infinity cruise!?!  I was wondering how you tackled the air issue from the Left Coast since you booked close in, so thanks for sharing. 

 

We've cruised New England twice, but would happily return again. The ports are all so great. We've done the mansions in Newport on both previous cruises. Next time we'll enjoy strolling the town because, it too, looks so charming. 

 

Glad you're back on the high seas and doing another live thread. You & ChicagoPaul need to stay in sync so we have continuous live threads always going. 😉

Hi Bev

 

For air fare I usually start with google flights and then also roam the travel sights  and airline sites.   

 

Since the SFO region being a major hub there is usually a decent fare but may need to chose a connection rather than a nonstop 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who’s Onboard

 

they no longer include in daily.  Available on TV under ship information but you have to go way down the list. 

 

45FA85A5-C2E5-4A6E-8282-37F9EB716BEE.thumb.jpeg.af58776f386cd0097b44fde752c5998a.jpeg

 

4E474EB4-1A7B-4091-A9A0-A32FA7064C6F.thumb.jpeg.3ca00dd723d57c19b2489a8e0c312879.jpeg

 

 

 

Edited by Jim_Iain

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

We were on Summit last week.  The Sundeck menu is every day including port days.  I was surprised to find out that drinks are NOT complimentary on the Sundeck like they are in the lounge.  Of course drink packages can be used.

 

 We were on Millie a month ago and drinks were complimentary on the Retreat Sundeck on 12. They were, however, only allowing drinks up to the dollar limit of those on the Classic Package. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hi Bev

 

For air fare I usually start with google flights and then also roam the travel sights  and airline sites.   

 

Since the SFO region being a major hub there is usually a decent fare but may need to chose a connection rather than a nonstop 

 

Thanks. I'll assume that's why you booked the outbound flight via IAH vs direct. 

 

What I've found of late is a lot like cruise pricing these days.  Award flights with the lowest tier miles are tough to come by 2-3-4 months in advance. But then at the 2 or 3 week mark a lot of them suddenly open up. My guess is it's the philosophy of the cruise lines. Hope to sell the seat for $$$, then when you can't, open up the award seats. I'm sure you're aware United slaps a $75 surcharge on close-in award tickets, so instead I use Air Canada's program (AMEX points transferred into their mileage program) to book the United flight since they don't impose the surcharge. So many different angles!

Edited by BEAV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

 

Really enjoying New England.  It has been many years since I lived in Longmeadow Mass.   

 

Your pictures are great!  The mansions in Newport are decorated for Christmas and are spectacular!  Glad you had a good day in Newport.  We love visiting Newport, especially this time of year.  It is not far from our home.

 

Keep enjoying  your cruise!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim,

 

Looking ahead to Boston would appreciate your feedback as to whether a shuttle  (either offered by Celebrity or run by the port) is available to and from the port to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall area. We have been checking into it for our cruise on the 27th but have not be able to get a definitive answer. We will be in Boston on July 4th. TIA.

 

Barry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi 

can you please offer some advice, we are arriving in San Francisco in  May 2020 

can you recommend a great hotel, we are being directed to the Marriott in union square but also the W in Nob Hill

what are your thoughts

many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Jim,

 

Looking ahead to Boston would appreciate your feedback as to whether a shuttle  (either offered by Celebrity or run by the port) is available to and from the port to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall area. We have been checking into it for our cruise on the 27th but have not be able to get a definitive answer. We will be in Boston on July 4th. TIA.

 

Barry

Barry, refer to post 231.  In the daily it lists shuttle options(for a fee) from port to city center.  If memory serves me right it is $9.99 one way or $17.99 round trip, but, must be purchased on board.  I hope this helps.

Edited by FlorenceItaly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Barry, refer to post 231.  In the daily it lists shuttle options(for a fee) from port to city center.  If memory serves me right it is $9.99 one way or $17.99 round trip, but, must be purchased on board.  I hope this helps.

 

Thats what we were quoted last week 17.99 per person round trip. We took Lyft to  Boston Commons for 24 dollars round trip including tip.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Who’s Onboard

 

they no longer include in daily.  Available on TV under ship information but you have to go way down the list. 

 

45FA85A5-C2E5-4A6E-8282-37F9EB716BEE.thumb.jpeg.af58776f386cd0097b44fde752c5998a.jpeg

 

4E474EB4-1A7B-4091-A9A0-A32FA7064C6F.thumb.jpeg.3ca00dd723d57c19b2489a8e0c312879.jpeg

 

 

 

This is one thing I wish they wpuld have in print at GR..Not everyone cares but we save them and like yo read abput the officers and staff... hard to scroll along

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlorenceItaly said:

Barry, refer to post 231.  In the daily it lists shuttle options(for a fee) from port to city center.  If memory serves me right it is $9.99 one way or $17.99 round trip, but, must be purchased on board.  I hope this helps.

Thank you very much, big help. Assume (hope) that they will also run shuttle this for our cruise as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Fjcpooh17 said:

 

Thats what we were quoted last week 17.99 per person round trip. We took Lyft to  Boston Commons for 24 dollars round trip including tip.  

 

We shared a black car to Quincy market but then went elsewhere in the city on the subway.  We returned to the port via the SL2 bus which we got at South Station.  The bus stop is 1 block from the terminal.  If you want to take the bus just turn left when you exit the terminal then go right at the first cross street and the stop is 1 block away.

 

This link is pretty good but I think the bus is now $2.75.

 

https://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/transportation-from-black-falcon-cruise-terminal-into-boston.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hcat said:

This is one thing I wish they wpuld have in print at GR..Not everyone cares but we save them and like yo read abput the officers and staff... hard to scroll along

 

I thought that they did start to put this back in the daily, or at least you can go down to guest services and ask for a printed copy.  Not sure where I read this or if the info is correct.  Yes,  I also like to save the copy of Who's Onboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pics of the Zenith lunch! wish there wasn't such a big gap between Elite Plus and Zenith.  🙁

Edited by ecslady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

 

We shared a black car to Quincy market but then went elsewhere in the city on the subway.  We returned to the port via the SL2 bus which we got at South Station.  The bus stop is 1 block from the terminal.  If you want to take the bus just turn left when you exit the terminal then go right at the first cross street and the stop is 1 block away.

 

This link is pretty good but I think the bus is now $2.75.

 

https://www.boston-discovery-guide.com/transportation-from-black-falcon-cruise-terminal-into-boston.html

 

The Silver Line is a bus route that will take you to and from South Station.  This is a main transportation hub for subways, buses and trains.  Cost of the bus is $2.75 as mentioned.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Is Dog & Pony near pier?

It is up the hill and very close to the municipal building...perhaps by the fire station. I am working from memory but really close to the buses that will take you to Arcadia. It was the best roll we had in our private taste test! An easy walk for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved al the mansion photos. I would have loved to live in the Breakers or the Marble house in their hay-days.

Norma

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see in your photo of the Zenith Lunch you are sailing with Arno and his wife JoAnne.  I would think he is the top cruiser on board.  I think they are Zenith 3 times.  Lovely couple.

 

Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RodPat said:

I see in your photo of the Zenith Lunch you are sailing with Arno and his wife JoAnne.  I would think he is the top cruiser on board.  I think they are Zenith 3 times.  Lovely couple.

 

Pat

Yes they are the top cruiser of Celebrity as far as I know.

Glad you decided to stay with Celebrity.

Remember me ?we were on New Year cruise with both of you and the Belgium guy that always met in MC.

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Edited by verizon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Who’s Onboard

 

they no longer include in daily.  Available on TV under ship information but you have to go way down the list. 

 

 

 

Thank you Jim, more savings in paper and ink, let's see if this is fleet-wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jim:

 

Quick question, when you left Bayonne did you go right out under the bridge or head north and go around the Statue.

 

Also, I am always amazed and most people don't know that those beautiful mansions were only used for 8 weeks a year in the summer.

 

Love the pictures...

Edited by dkjretired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 12:18 PM, Jim_Iain said:

 

Now the age old question.    How much do you pack for the cruise?    

 

For Chic nights we bring along dinner jackets and usually pair  with Tuxedo shirts an Bow Ties. 

 

 

Just joined, and I see that I have a lot of reading to get to present.

 

Looking forward to your posts.

 

We have sailed Summit twice, and have two future sailings, next up July to Bermuda.

 

As for packing, the Bermuda cruise is incredibly casual, so we pack very little.  

 

On the chic nights, we found it mostly not different from every other night.

 

OK, back to reading the rest of the posts.  Thanx for doing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...