Know before you go on symphony

My wife and myself both have scars from the slides on Harmony. We followed the instructions, however as others have said, when in motion it's very difficult to re-adjust. We are on Symphony later this year so might just give it a miss. The slides seems more for PR than fun IMO. The water slides on the other hand are brilliant. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

If this kind of injury is happening often, I'll bet corporate already knows about it.    Perhaps a social media post might be more effective in getting some sort of action from corporate.

Obvious solution is to close the slide down permanently.

8 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Obvious solution is to close the slide down permanently.

Not exactly obvious. Improve instructions, require long sleeves and pants, provide personal padding etc. are the obvious solutions. It would be a ridiculously expensive option to take the ships out of service to remove the slides.

I have even had this happen on a high speed water slide at Schlitterbon, a water park here in Texas.  I do not plan on riding the Abyss, maybe just the whirlpool funnel slide or whatever it's called.  I think they just need to adjust the riding apparatus to a more firm plastic container with felt on the botton and real handles inside to hang onto or something like that, so it doesn't bend like fabric does.

• Like 1

So sorry you got injured.  Before our Symphony cruise, I had read of a few others who had the same happen to them.  Due to the warning,s we wore long sleeves on the first few days trying the Abyss.  Once we knew what to expect and how to position ourselves, we stuck in our short sleeves (but not to say that a ride could have turned us the wrong way and we would have had the same issue).  The Abyss is lots of fun...without any injuries.

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We were just on Harmony a few weeks ago and we were listening to the crew member give safety instructions on how you have to hold the bag underhanded so your elbows will not stick out.  He was also turning away people who were not in long sleeves and was also recommending longer shorts or pants.  We didn't end up riding Abyss but I really didn't like the look of the bag/mat that you ride on.  What were they saying about long sleeves on Symphony?

On Symphony a couple of weeks ago they said nothing about long sleeves. We watched the explanation several times since my kids went on it multiple times. I was in a sleeveless blouse and all they told me was I need a tee shirt. 

Haven't been on Symphony,  but rode Harmony twice in a row in shorts and short sleeves. FWIW, I'm just shy of 6'-2". 

Based on these comments we were either lucky or know how to follow instructions. 

Here's Laura's outfit

20180926_104606.thumb.jpg.8a3019c9acc86809fa334ff684120195.jpg

20180926_104541.thumb.jpg.71ae50710db951668591c0ea1aeb43e4.jpg

20180926_104358.thumb.jpg.6c26f5bf26187a5681ed5c0bcef317db.jpg

31 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Haven't been on Symphony,  but rode Harmony twice in a row in shorts and short sleeves. FWIW, I'm just shy of 6'-2". 

Based on these comments we were either lucky or know how to follow instructions. 

Here's Laura's outfit

20180926_104606.thumb.jpg.8a3019c9acc86809fa334ff684120195.jpg

20180926_104541.thumb.jpg.71ae50710db951668591c0ea1aeb43e4.jpg

20180926_104358.thumb.jpg.6c26f5bf26187a5681ed5c0bcef317db.jpg

You were just lucky.  I followed the exact instructions as well on Harmony while wearing a tshirt.  On the first turn, the mat shifted, my body turned on it's side and I burned my shoulder as well.  I highly suggest long sleeve shirts and pants for riders.  Not worth it. 

Edited by Nolefan95
Missing my comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh sweet jeez.  I thought the entire time I was reading this it was a water slide.  That is until I saw Nolefan95's pictures.  🤣All I kept thinking was "why are people going down a water slide in long sleeves and pants?!".  Grad school has turned my brain into useless mush.

Just because thousands of people have gone down in short sleeves without injury does not mean that the people who get burned are not following the instructions. It’s could be how you are centered at the first shove off.  Since the staff can’t give you a push (at least not when we were on) you have to sort of scoot up to get started.  If you are off center slightly maybe that causes you to bank more at the first curve.  For me that is where it went bad.  The mat slid too far up the side of the slide and once I landed on my side there was no hope of righting myself. 

On 6/1/2019 at 7:30 PM, MightyMike said:

I know the decision has already been made and the time is too late, but I soooo wished that Royal Caribbean would have passed on adding Ultimate Abyss to Oasis at its upcoming dry dock. For me, the injuries and eyesore outweighs the benefits.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Maybe they will leave the Allure alone... I’ll let you know since I’ll be on the TA after drydock 11/1/2020. 

mac_tlc