Texting on board

No need to purchase wifi if you only use the RCI app.  I have not used it yet from what I've read here the texting is not as reliable as regular texting on your phone.  If you purchase an internet package and your phone is capable of wifi calling you can connect to the wifi and put your phone in airplane mode, and your texting and calling will work as normal at no additional charge.  Be sure you activate wifi calling before you leave and are still connected to your network, and remember to put your phone in airplane mode once you pull out of port, otherwise your phones will roam off the cell towers on the ship.

6 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You will need to purchase something because there is no text or chat capability in the RCI app as of yet. 

I believe Allure and Harmony have the free texting with the RCI App.

This is good news!   So, on Harmony if you have no intention of doing anything other than "texting" from person to person (plus the other little one-offs)  there is no need to buy the Voom package?  I've been trying to find a way to keep track of the other family members onboard without buying an internet package I can do without. 

2 minutes ago, janazaz said:

This is good news!   So, on Harmony if you have no intention of doing anything other than "texting" from person to person (plus the other little one-offs)  there is no need to buy the Voom package?  I've been trying to find a way to keep track of the other family members onboard without buying an internet package I can do without. 

That's correct.  Every phone you want to text must download the RCI App.  You will only be able to text those with the RCI App on your cruise.

Better than walkie-talkies.  Will that work if you wanted to text anywhere other than within the ship....like back home as long as they have the recipient also has the RCI app?  Teen onboard will be asking. 

Just now, janazaz said:

Better than walkie-talkies.  Will that work if you wanted to text anywhere other than within the ship....like back home as long as they have the recipient also has the RCI app?  Teen onboard will be asking. 

No, the texting via the RCI App will only work between those on the same ship using the RCI App.

• Like 1