OTC medication question UAE

cruise kitty

Hi all,

(this is for flying into UAE, DUBAI)

I've looked over the list of medications that are allowed &/or banned.   It appears that an ingredient in Claritin-D  is on the list with remarks that say:  "Quantity for period of stay or one month, whichever is less"

Does this mean that I can bring my Claritin-D ) ( I'll keep in in the original, sealed box)  without preauthorizing it?  Do I have to declare it, or can it just be in my checked luggage?   thanks in advance :)

Edited by cruise kitty

11 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi all,

(this is for flying into UAE, DUBAI)

I've looked over the list of medications that are allowed &/or banned.   It appears that an ingredient in Claritin-D  is on the list with remarks that say:  "Quantity for period of stay or one month, whichever is less"

Does this mean that I can bring my Claritin-D ) ( I'll keep in in the original, sealed box)  without preauthorizing it?  Do I have to declare it, or can it just be in my checked luggage?   thanks in advance 🙂

There is no need to preauthorise any medication, that is just an option.  If you are entering the country with an item that is on the controlled list then you can carry it with you along with the supporting documentation listed, i.e. original prescription, medical report etc.  If a substance or medicine is on the list then it is available only by prescription in the UAE not as an OTC item.  You do not need to declare, but the medication should be in you hand baggage for inspection if requested when you pass through immigration and customs....

Anne...

11 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

There is no need to preauthorise any medication, that is just an option.  If you are entering the country with an item that is on the controlled list then you can carry it with you along with the supporting documentation listed, i.e. original prescription, medical report etc.  If a substance or medicine is on the list then it is available only by prescription in the UAE not as an OTC item.  You do not need to declare, but the medication should be in you hand baggage for inspection if requested when you pass through immigration and customs....

Anne...

thank you so much Anne :)

Do you need the 'D' part? It seems to be the Pseudaphrine that makes decongestants hard to get and suspect in a lot of places.  Check the ingredients of plain claritin on line and compare to the list.

9 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Do you need the 'D' part? It seems to be the Pseudaphrine that makes decongestants hard to get and suspect in a lot of places.  Check the ingredients of plain claritin on line and compare to the list.

Hi, yes, I definitely need the "D" part :)

5 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi, yes, I definitely need the "D" part 🙂

I checked this for you and it is the ‘D’ substance (pseudoephedrine) that is on the controlled list however according to the list it does not require any supporting documentation with it if you are carrying it with you, just the quantity you can bring into the country is restricted.  Personally, I would get my GP to issue a prescription for the use of Claratin D  and keep that with the medicine, in its original packing just in case one does get spot checked upon entry.

Anne...

10 hours ago, Jayayeff said:

I checked this for you and it is the ‘D’ substance (pseudoephedrine) that is on the controlled list however according to the list it does not require any supporting documentation with it if you are carrying it with you, just the quantity you can bring into the country is restricted.  Personally, I would get my GP to issue a prescription for the use of Claratin D  and keep that with the medicine, in its original packing just in case one does get spot checked upon entry.

Anne...

Thank you Anne!  Yes I plan on bringing it in the sealed original box, & I can get my Dr. to write up an RX for it as well.