Jump to content

Noumea - in the afternoon


Recommended Posts

The sea temperature on the day in Noumea (according to the operator) was 23 degrees Celsius (about 74 degrees Fahrenheit).  Everyone was asked to put on a wetsuit.  The two guides both had full wetsuits including head covers.

 

The water was cold for me.  I had on a 3mm 'shorty' it covered me to my knees and to my elbows and when I got into the water it took my breath away which added to my confusion and combined with the strong current made me loose my focus.  But that was me, I feel the cold.  I used this wetsuit for all of our snorkeling adventures and was very grateful that my husband insisted on me purchasing it prior to the cruise.  There is no way I would have gone into the water without it.  And I was still cold.

 

On the land it was quite warm for a couple of the ports, however we encountered a low pressure which cooled the air temperature considerably towards the end of the cruise.  For the second last port, Mare, it was really cold and windy on shore, it ended up raining and all the passengers were back on board well before the set time.  For the Isle of Pines, we missed the port due to rough seas/weather.

 

I want to do this cruise again but will choose April or October/November.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, vtoria98 said:

Can you tell me about the weather? I will be headed there next July and I am wondering what air and water temps would be like. I am from Florida so temps below 70f are chilly to me but this is a once in a lifetime cruise across the world for me so I am going no matter what but I want to be prepared.

 

Thanks 

I would imagine it could be like Florida in December. I'll find out soon enough as I will be in Miami end of this November.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, aussiebossyboots said:

The sea temperature on the day in Noumea (according to the operator) was 23 degrees Celsius (about 74 degrees Fahrenheit).  Everyone was asked to put on a wetsuit.  The two guides both had full wetsuits including head covers.

 

The water was cold for me.  I had on a 3mm 'shorty' it covered me to my knees and to my elbows and when I got into the water it took my breath away which added to my confusion and combined with the strong current made me loose my focus.  But that was me, I feel the cold.  I used this wetsuit for all of our snorkeling adventures and was very grateful that my husband insisted on me purchasing it prior to the cruise.  There is no way I would have gone into the water without it.  And I was still cold.

 

On the land it was quite warm for a couple of the ports, however we encountered a low pressure which cooled the air temperature considerably towards the end of the cruise.  For the second last port, Mare, it was really cold and windy on shore, it ended up raining and all the passengers were back on board well before the set time.  For the Isle of Pines, we missed the port due to rough seas/weather.

 

I want to do this cruise again but will choose April or October/November.

23C? Cold/cool? That's about normal summer water temperature here in Newcastle, no need for wet suits. We used to holiday on the Sunshine Coast Aug/Sep and I would surf wearing only boardies wondering why everyone else was wearing wetsuit. Until a couple of years ago I would windsurf here in winter wearing spring suit and booties. As I'm getting on a bit (now 70) I now windsurf wearing a steamer. You being from Canberra I would have thought the temperatures  you were experiencing above would be positively balmy.😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

23C? Cold/cool? That's about normal summer water temperature here in Newcastle, no need for wet suits. We used to holiday on the Sunshine Coast Aug/Sep and I would surf wearing only boardies wondering why everyone else was wearing wetsuit. Until a couple of years ago I would windsurf here in winter wearing spring suit and booties. As I'm getting on a bit (now 70) I now windsurf wearing a steamer. You being from Canberra I would have thought the temperatures  you were experiencing above would be positively balmy.😀

 

Well I may now live in Canberra (suffering today) but I am not originally from Canberra.  Also I am a 'Frog' and really feel the cold.  Even swimming at Surfers in March is just OK!:classic_rolleyes:

 

Looking to Papua New Guinea on Sea Princess in January 2020 - now the sea temperature should be all OK for me then:classic_biggrin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

23C? Cold/cool? That's about normal summer water temperature here in Newcastle, no need for wet suits. We used to holiday on the Sunshine Coast Aug/Sep and I would surf wearing only boardies wondering why everyone else was wearing wetsuit. Until a couple of years ago I would windsurf here in winter wearing spring suit and booties. As I'm getting on a bit (now 70) I now windsurf wearing a steamer. You being from Canberra I would have thought the temperatures  you were experiencing above would be positively balmy.😀

When we see people surfing without a wetsuit or swimming on the Sunshine Coast in August, we know they are from 'down South'. Too cold for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, aussiebossyboots said:

 

Well I may now live in Canberra (suffering today) but I am not originally from Canberra.  Also I am a 'Frog' and really feel the cold.  Even swimming at Surfers in March is just OK!:classic_rolleyes:

 

Looking to Papua New Guinea on Sea Princess in January 2020 - now the sea temperature should be all OK for me then:classic_biggrin:

Now you're talking. I was in New Guinea January this year. Beautiful. I hope you call in to Conflict Islands, best snorkeling ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, and escaping the cold here will be good as well.

We are finding the unseasonal cold in Brisbane a bit much. For you from Canberra, it wouldn't be cold. I was going to say "it would almost be like summer" but then I recalled the hot summers in Canberra.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

We are finding the unseasonal cold in Brisbane a bit much. For you from Canberra, it wouldn't be cold. I was going to say "it would almost be like summer" but then I recalled the hot summers in Canberra.

Yep, normally gets hotter here in Summer than Qld (Coast) as well, luckily not the humidity that normally comes with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

How cold has it been? I'm arriving in Sydney on 9/23 and am wondering whether it might not really be spring yet.

Yes  it will be spring when you arrive in Sydney. The day temperatures will most likely be between 20 - 23 degrees C give or take a couple of degrees and mainly sunny. 

 

Leigh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

How cold has it been? I'm arriving in Sydney on 9/23 and am wondering whether it might not really be spring yet.

It is unseasonally cold at the moment which is why we are talking about it. 🙂The temperatures we have now are what we would expect in early July (or even a fair bit colder). By 23rd September it will be reasonably warm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Ok then! We're currently having what I think of as perfect weather up here in the Seattle area - about 23 C daytime and 12 C nighttime temps. I think I'll love your weather next month.

I think you will. That's about what we're getting here today  100klm north of Sydney. I live on a south latitude close to San Diego's north latitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

I think you will. That's about what we're getting here today  100klm north of Sydney. I live on a south latitude close to San Diego's north latitude.

Yeah it's not a bad area, us locals have been known to refer to it as "Paradise".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...