Cruise Critic Community
SempreMare

Safe to do laundry the day before disembarkation?

Is it "safe" to do laundry the day before disembarkation? 

Is there a special cut-off time on that day? 

I'm planning what I need to pack for Alaska assuming I'll do laundry twice:

- The day after embarkation day

- The day before disembarkation day

2 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Are you doing the laundry yourself (on a ship with self serve laundry)?  

OR, are you sending the laundry out for the ship to do?

If you are using the self serve, then as long as it is available, it should be safe - but it may be busy.

If you are having the ship do your laundry (which is the case on most ships) - there is NO laundry service on the day before disembarkation.  It normally closes off two days before disembarkation (the day before you are planning) in order to get it back to you.

@kazuI'll be in a Neptune Suite so am planning on having the ship do it since it's complimentary.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, freestyling said:

You can send off laundry the day you embark if that helps

Really? 

YES that would help!  I'd need to pack for 1 less day's worth of clothes given 5 days of pre-trip adventures in Anchorage & Seward.)

I was assuming embarkation day laundry would be a definite no.

Edit:  The laundry would be returned the next morning?

Edited by SempreMare

Last week on Zuiderdam we were told last day to get laundry in was 3 days  before disembarkation for regular service and 2 days ahead for extra cost faster service. We purchased the unlimited package for the whole cruise for $7.00 per day, turned it in nearly  every evening and got it back next afternoon. However, even though we got it back the next day, service included a two day guarantee, which HAL always exceeded. Since you leave the ship early in the morning on disembarkation day and laundry service is an overnight process seems that it would not be possible to turn it in day before you leave the ship.

21 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

@kazuI'll be in a Neptune Suite so am planning on having the ship do it since it's complimentary.

Good plan.

so it is normally the 2nd last day for laundry/dry cleaning.  You can talk to your concierge to confirm when you are on board. they can’t do it the last day as it needs to be back to you in time for packing 😉 

You can definitely send out laundry on embarkation day too.

Laundry on embarkation day is normally returned the next day.

54 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

The laundry would be returned the next morning?

Probably afternoon

If you are getting off Saturday morning, as an example, the latest we would submit laundry would be Thursday night before the room gets cleaned. We have done this scenario many times.

Don't tell anyone, but embarkation day is a great time to send laundry out, as most people don't send it that day.

When you get ready for dinner, just pack up the bag, complete the invoice, and leave it on your bed. The stewards will take it when they do turn-down service. I have had it back as early as the next morning, but as Carol said, afternoon is more likely.

Since you don't have to pay for laundry, don't feel you have to fill the bag. You can even put in that day's clothes when you change for dinner every day if you want to! I have done that when sailing in hot weather climates. I found that with less in the bag, it tends to be returned faster!

We have sent out laundry on embarkation day.  We had the bag ready and on the bed when we went to dinner.

The laundry was returned the next afternoon -- usually right before we left for early dinner.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, kazu said:

Are you doing the laundry yourself (on a ship with self serve laundry)?  

OR, are you sending the laundry out for the ship to do?

If you are using the self serve, then as long as it is available, it should be safe - but it may be busy.

If you are having the ship do your laundry (which is the case on most ships) - there is NO laundry service on the day before disembarkation.  It normally closes off two days before disembarkation (the day before you are planning) in order to get it back to you.

I agree,

If the self service laundry is open and operating, other than possibly being very busy, it should be the same as any other day of  the cruise.

For those having ship's laundry, do it for you,  watch the announced last time you can send it  out and get it back in time

.image.png.d1b62fd71daac8d896e77ec872b91959.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

6 hours ago, freestyling said:

You can send off laundry the day you embark if that helps

Nice thread high jack, what has this got to do with laundry on the day before disembarkation?

17 minutes ago, billbunger said:

Nice thread high jack, what has this got to do with laundry on the day before disembarkation?

High jack? Not even a slight hijack! O.P. wanted help with planning laundry.

25 minutes ago, billbunger said:

OP said: 

7 hours ago, SempreMare said:

freestyling was just giving them more information as to being able to do it earlier, if they wanted.  OP responded with a "yes, that helps".

I turned in laundry on Embarkation Day and it was in my Westerdam stateroom before 11:00 AM.  On the Eurodam in May, I was allowed to turn in laundry the morning before Disembarkation Day because I was in a Neptune Suite.  I would not plan on it but be happy if it happens.

Please do not send in your laundry on the day prior to disembarkation day. That day/night plus embarkation day itself are the busiest times for the laundry guys in their domain underwater on C-Deck

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, SempreMare said:

Really? 

YES that would help!  I'd need to pack for 1 less day's worth of clothes given 5 days of pre-trip adventures in Anchorage & Seward.)

I was assuming embarkation day laundry would be a definite no.

Edit:  The laundry would be returned the next morning?

Send our what you need laundered on first day, as   soon as you can and indicate you hope to have it  done and returned to you next day

It is not free in Neptune suites,,,,   it is included in the prices we pay for those cabins. 🙂

image.png.19f3770a04bdc920de8d8f81be306e52.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

15 hours ago, sail7seas said:

Send our what you need laundered on first day, as   soon as you can and indicate you hope to have it  done and returned to you next day

It is not free in Neptune suites,,,,   it is included in the prices we pay for those cabins. 🙂

image.png.19f3770a04bdc920de8d8f81be306e52.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Fair point, however HAL umlimited laundry package which includes pressing is so inexpensive that its cost is inconsequential compared to cruise cost even for those who do not have it included. We paid just $107 for 14 days of unlimited service last month and the quality and promptness of the service was outstanding. 

On both Holland America and Carnival, we have the ship do our laundry 2 days before disembarking. I wouldn't wait to do it the day before, although it sounds from other posters that they don't do it anyway the day before. It's so nice to pack up to go home with the laundry done except for the last travel day clothes and being free, too.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, edgee said:

Fair point, however HAL umlimited laundry package which includes pressing is so inexpensive that its cost is inconsequential compared to cruise cost even for those who do not have it included. We paid just $107 for 14 days of unlimited service last month and the quality and promptness of the service was outstanding. 

AND, a five star mariner gets free laundry and pressing, but not dry cleaning.      Annoying how they duplicated that Mariner benefit with what is included in  a neptune   suite.  five star  mariners   bought it with all  the cruises they 'bought '  and now get it duplicated by buying use of a neptune suite.      Such duplications irritate me as each loses value.

image.png.9433743dfaec9b9f43c3a3166b1cf477.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

image.png

image.png

Edited by sail7seas

8 hours ago, Djptcp said:

On both Holland America and Carnival, we have the ship do our laundry 2 days before disembarking. I wouldn't wait to do it the day before, although it sounds from other posters that they don't do it anyway the day before. It's so nice to pack up to go home with the laundry done except for the last travel day clothes and being free, too.

Does Carnival have any laundry perks for suite passengers? We are going to try a Carnival RT to Hawaii next year. If no bennies, do you have any information about their laundry prices? Could not find it on their web site.

Thank you for any info.

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2019 at 4:49 PM, sail7seas said:

I did not say it was free. 

I said:  

>> @kazuI'll be in a Neptune Suite so am planning on having the ship do it since it's complimentary.

From a travel podcast I listen to,  the host interviewed a CEO-level exec, who  mentioned certain classes of amenities as complimentary.  When the host used the word "free",  he corrected the host to use the word "complimentary" because those amenities were not no-cost;   they were being paid by someone, either directly via the guest or by the company via a promotion.

Edited by SempreMare

On 6/3/2019 at 10:53 AM, RuthC said:

Don't tell anyone, but embarkation day is a great time to send laundry out, as most people don't send it that day.

When you get ready for dinner, just pack up the bag, complete the invoice, and leave it on your bed. The stewards will take it when they do turn-down service. I have had it back as early as the next morning, but as Carol said, afternoon is more likely.

Since you don't have to pay for laundry, don't feel you have to fill the bag. You can even put in that day's clothes when you change for dinner every day if you want to! I have done that when sailing in hot weather climates. I found that with less in the bag, it tends to be returned faster!

Thank you for that information! We're doing a 20 day Mediterranean cruise in the fall, with a 5 day pre-trip stay in Rome. Knowing that we can send out laundry on embarkation day is great news!

We almost always had a pre-cruise  hotel stay and many  times I sent out clothes for laundering on  the ship on embarkation day.    It always came back promptly and  beautifully laundered, folded  and/or  on hangers as per what I indicated to be my choice.

image.png.a5119c6367bd773bc837cbc8a9b35396.png