Crystal vs Regent

hospsafe

59 minutes ago, FeliciaLee said:

In fact, on night nine I said to the M'D "Wow, they usually greet us by name every night on HAL, yet you still don't seem to even know who we are."

Wow, that's a really rude thing to say, even if the M'D didn't know who you were (which may or may not have been the case).  I'd never even consider chastising someone or demeaning them in public for something as inconsequential as that.   I'm sure the M'D knew you from then on, though probably not in the way you wanted to be recognized. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

Wow, that's a really rude thing to say, even if the M'D didn't know who you were (which may or may not have been the case).  I'd never even consider chastising someone or demeaning them in public for something as inconsequential as that.   I'm sure the M'D knew you from then on, though probably not in the way you wanted to be recognized. 

Yes, when someone has that glazed over face every day and is ice cold I tend not to really care that much about first class decorum. 

• Like 1

Frankly I wouldn't turn down a cruise on either line. LOL. However we used to cruise on Regent. Once Crystal went to all inclusive, we tried Crystal and now consider it our primary line. 

On 6/24/2019 at 6:36 AM, calliopecruiser said:

Agree with you!  There is no reason to demean anyone - especially when they work as hard as the crew does on all cruise lines.  

BTW, the servers in Compass Rose (MDR on Regent) do know everyone's name as it is on the ticket that the Maitre 'd hands to the server when you are being seated.  Sometimes they are just too busy trying to give great service to check your name all of the time.

In general, we find that sitting in the same "section" (not table" of your favorite server is good for both them and you.  They will get to know your likes and dislikes and can make recommendations based on this knowledge.  While you can get great service anywhere, it is more personalized when they get to know you.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:42 PM, hospsafe said:

Well after a few days of diving into so much information involving all three of them (Crystal, Regent and Seabourn) it looks like I have going to have to throw a dart.  Based on what I have read there isn't one thing that sticks out to me as major advantage among the three. Unless I decide to do an Asian itinerary and then I think Regent has the advantage with the 3 night pre/post stay.  Ultimately I am sure, at some point, I will try all three.

This is not surprising.  

Try to see if you can find people who know you (friends, travel agent) and have sailed one or more of these lines to just tell you about the line(s) they are familiar with.

In the end, you really won't know until you experience it yourself.

For our first sailing no a luxury line we did have friends who had sailed Crystal so that was a big help.

Four years later I wanted to try another luxury line and faced a similar challenge as you did.  We ended up sailing Seabourn and loved it too.

We also sailed Silversea (twice) years later but that didn't work for us but I am reminded they have their following as well.

If you can't narrow this down and that is understandable try to let the itinerary be the driver for you.  

I mentioned this earlier but having had to make similar decisions years ago as well as reading so many of these types of threads it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks when you do these comparison threads because so much of the experience is subjective and so much of it is based on our own likes/dislikes.

For example, which is better Lexus/Mecedes/BMW.  In the end it really doesn't matter what others think.  When I made my decision I had to test drive each car and that is what I did.  

For cruises hopefully in time you will be able to try each one out.

In the meantime just start with itineraries and those items that are fact based (size of ship, what's included in the cruise fare, ship layout and amenities, etc., etc.  

Good luck with your decision.  It's a fun problem to have.

Keith

• Like 2

On 6/24/2019 at 2:34 AM, FeliciaLee said:

We loved Regent, but probably won't return. It just wasn't for us. When friends ask why, we usually say: "Well, it was sort of like wealthy people who aren't wealthy enough to own a private yacht, but want to be left alone."

Actually, we found the Regent Explorer to be rather interesting (for lack of a better term) - and a lot less expensive than taking the yacht out.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 11:14 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

Actually, we found the Regent Explorer to be rather interesting (for lack of a better term) - and a lot less expensive than taking the yacht out.

FOTFL!!!  This will keep me smiling all night.

• 3 weeks later...

I've sailed both lines, including lengthy "world" or "grand voyage" cruises on both Regent and Crystal. I'd happily hop on either for the right itinerary.

A couple of years ago, I did a side-by-side comparison of the two on here, but that was before the site redesign.  Anyway, I find that each has its strengths and not-so-strongs, so much depends on what matters most to you. As to vibe, it seems that that changes with each cruise. Even on the lengthy, multi-segment cruises, the personality of the cruise varies with each segment. After all, the vibe is to some extent set by the people on the cruise.

I'll try to keep this brief (not my strong suit), but here's a few areas of comparison:

1. Cabins. I can only speak to the lowest-level balcony cabins (though I've done non-balcony on Regent Navigator), because that's where I stay absent a free upgrade. Regent wins this one hands down. The cabins are larger, the beds more comfortable, the closets larger. Crystal has only bath/shower combos at this level, so if you want or need a step-in shower you have to go to a higher level cabin (or use the showers in the gym locker room). On the other hand, Crystal has double sinks at this level and Regent does not (except on Explorer).  Crystal has more storage space in the bathroom. Regent has walk-in closets. Crystal has a reach-in closet alongside the bed, which is awkward for the person sleeping on that side of the bed. 

2.  Food. I realize this one is subjective, but I find Regent's main dining room better than Crystal's by a significant margin. On the other hand, I find Crystal's alternative restaurants better. However, only one evening per cruise in each alternative restaurant is included. After that, a surcharge is imposed unless you are on a full world cruise or are in a higher-end suite. Regent's is always included, but you can only make one reservation per cruise in advance. But I've never had a problem getting more once on board.

As for dining, Crystal only recently went to open seating. I haven't been on since the change, but from what I'm hearing, they don't really have the flow of building a table nailed yet, but are coming along.

3. Excursions. Some of Regent's are included, some have an extra charge, though generally less than on Crystal. Crystal charges for them. However, it often provides generous OBCs that you can use for excursions. But the excursions are a bit higher-priced. As to quality, they are much the same--they use pretty much the same on-shore vendors. However, Regent seems to take greater ownership and have better understanding of its offerings. Crystal does great for the passenger on board (see discussions below), but their service has a way of deteriorating when the passenger is off the ship.

4. Entertainment. The edge goes to Crystal on this one. While the kinds of offerings in the main theater are pretty much the same between the two lines (in fact, I've seen many of the same headliners on both), Crystal offers much more variety elsewhere on the ship. Their lobby lounge and piano bar are particular stand-outs.

5. Sea days. Crystal wins this one by a mile. They have more venues and considerably more offerings. Crystal has a strong reputation for its on-ship enrichment activities that is much deserved.

6. Crew. Both are beyond fabulous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wishIweretravelling - thank you for posting your experiences with Regent and Crystal.  We are going to board Crystal with the same open mind as when we have cruised other lines that were new to us.  I realize that Alaska cruises are different (the make-up of the passengers. - more newbies and families) since I tell the same thing to people that take Alaska cruises on Regent.  

• Haha 1

I am reminded that every cruise can be different.

It is human nature to make conclusions from one cruise that what one experiences is always the case.

For some things that can be true.  Take a cruise line with three identical ships with everything being the same.  Yes one can conclude if the size of the ship makes sense for them.  They can conclude if the room they booked worked or didn't work for them.  They can conclude if the chose of restaurants or the choice in hours worked or didn't work for them.

On the other hand some things do vary by cruise such as:

How full the ship is.  This can impact service levels.

How many children are on board.

Demographics of guests.

Whether or not it is a port intensive cruise or a cruise with a mix of sea days and port day or if it is a crossing.  This can impact how much time one spend on or off the ship and what the entertainment or enrichment may be like.

Even who the cruise director can come into play or who your stewardess or butler might be.

Weather is a factor.

The Executive chef or the Pastry Chef can be a factor.  i have sailed on cruises for many consecutive days and I could tell you when the Pastry Chef changed just on some subtle items.  

In the last place we lived I had a go to restaurant.  Also in Miami I had a go to restaurant.  In both instances we had delicious meals and wonderful service most times we went to each restaurant.  However, one time each restaurant had an off night.  In one case it was the food being off.  In another case it was the service being off. 

I am also reminded reading a live post on the Regent board where the poster had a different experience this time around with respect to a few aspects of the cruise (food, entertainment) than the last couple of times.  This one was more positive.  

I have yet to sail on two cruises that are precisely the same.  Even the weather can make a big difference.

So my view is always when the opportunity is there to try another cruise line.  We certainly have.  At the same time I am reminded that for certain things I would not rush to judgement on them.  We have only sailed on cruise line where our experience was not good at all.  I can tell you several things that were off.  I know some people who love that cruise line so I just say to myself that some of the things might have been one offs and I think they were to a large extent.

I find the same things true for Hotels and for so many things even servicing our car.  We love the cars we drive and the service.  But over the years two times the service was not what we normally experience.  If this was our first time in for service we might draw a conclusion that was different then having the cars serviced for as many years as we had at two dealerships over those years.

Keith