Trying to book excursions in Barcelona off the Epic when boarding in Rome

I have purposely booked on the Epic to sail from Rome on July 24th, with the full intentions of taking the $50 shore excursions "Free at sea" deal in order to visit Barcelona. However, when looking at "My NCL" account, there are only 6 excursions on July 28th in Barcelona and they are all for In-transit passengers only. I have rung NCL UK twice now for help and got as usual different stories from different personnel. One of them said it must be a mistake and she would have to E-mail Miami excursions office (still no response) and another one really could not understand why all 6 excursions shown were for in-transit passengers only. Obviously, I am fully aware that the main embarkation port is Barcelona and not Rome and that things are busier in Barcelona for NCL rather than Rome. After saying that, I cannot believe that NCL would not run excusrions into Barcelona for passengers boarding in Rome. Has anybody else found this problem and is there any solution to the issue. I find it incredible that on ringing NCL UK, they really have no idea and have to ask the head office in Miami

13 minutes ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

I have purposely booked on the Epic to sail from Rome on July 24th, with the full intentions of taking the $50 shore excursions "Free at sea" deal in order to visit Barcelona. However, when looking at "My NCL" account, there are only 6 excursions on July 28th in Barcelona and they are all for In-transit passengers only. I have rung NCL UK twice now for help and got as usual different stories from different personnel. One of them said it must be a mistake and she would have to E-mail Miami excursions office (still no response) and another one really could not understand why all 6 excursions shown were for in-transit passengers only. Obviously, I am fully aware that the main embarkation port is Barcelona and not Rome and that things are busier in Barcelona for NCL rather than Rome. After saying that, I cannot believe that NCL would not run excusrions into Barcelona for passengers boarding in Rome. Has anybody else found this problem and is there any solution to the issue. I find it incredible that on ringing NCL UK, they really have no idea and have to ask the head office in Miami

You ARE an in-transit passenger when the ship is docked in Barcelona! 😉 So that is why the 6 excursions for in-transit passengers are showing up in your MyNCL.

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

You ARE an in-transit passenger when the ship is docked in Barcelona! 😉

I think that you are as confused as NCL themselves. The "In-transit" means for passengers disembarking on July 28th at Barcelona. It is not possible to book any of the 6 excursions shown on "My NCL" if you are continuing on the ship going back to Rome

10 minutes ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

I think that you are as confused as NCL themselves. The "In-transit" means for passengers disembarking on July 28th at Barcelona. It is not possible to book any of the 6 excursions shown on "My NCL" if you are continuing on the ship going back to Rome

No, you are not correct. The in-transit passengers are people who are not disembarking or embarking the ship when it is docked at the main port (which would be Barcelona in your case). This means you are one when the ship is docked in Barcelona - because you are embarking the ship in Rome. 

We got In-Transit stickers to put on shirt/jacket when we docked in Barcelona, after we boarded the ship in Rome so we went off the ship as we pleased to tour Barcelona.

What error did you receive when attempting to book a Barcelona excursion?

Edited by bluesea777

Instead of dealing with NCL, my family has decided to use the HOHO bus in Barcelona (September sailing).  I figured that disembarkation for the majority of the ship was going to be confusing enough, that I didn't want to worry about booking an excursion with them.

11 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

What error did you receive when attempting to book a Barcelona excursion?

The "error" was that the "Add to cart" was greyed out. However, I have now discovered that this was because I had not submitted any time. The excursions are now available to book. However, after reading the post from Noobcruiser, I seriously wonder if I am doing the right thing and trying to book an NCL excursion. Thanks for your help and I apologise for saying I thought you were confused

32 minutes ago, JOHNHOWARTH2 said:

The "error" was that the "Add to cart" was greyed out. However, I have now discovered that this was because I had not submitted any time. The excursions are now available to book. However, after reading the post from Noobcruiser, I seriously wonder if I am doing the right thing and trying to book an NCL excursion. Thanks for your help and I apologise for saying I thought you were confused

$50 or not, when you are in a port like Barcelona and can do a private excursion with a reputable tour operator (e.g. Barcelona Day Tours), I would opt for a private tour over being on a big bus with 40 or so of my newest friends.  Lots of info in the Spain port of Call forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/465-spain-ports/

Enjoy your cruise!

I too am boarding in Rome! I have booked my excursions by phone with NCL because you cannot apply the $50 port credit online. If you book online they told me that $50 board board credit will be added to your account. I will pay the difference for my excursions once on board, even better no up front cost!

Also, private tours with similar itineraries often cost about $50 less per person than those booked through NCL, which anyway contracts with a local tour operator to run them. Barcelona Day Tours can combine passengers returning to the ship in Barcelona with others who are leaving the ship at Barcelona that morning but not heading straight to the airport, and with passengers boarding later in the day, if need be. I've toured with them and also with their affiliate Spain Day Tours (in Palma).

In transit passenger = one who is not embarking or disembarking in that port

In Barcelona, you will be considered an in transit passenger.

Here's an example: MSC in the Mediterranean is a multi-embarkation cruise, with four embarkation ports on a 7 day cruise.  If you board in Rome, and are  in port in Barcelona, you will see upon returning to the ship in Barcelona that you will be directed to the "in transit passenger" line while those with the suitcases will be directed to the "embarking passenger" line.

Hop on/hop off bus in Barcelona was wonderful.  There are two different companies--the Barcelona Bus Turistic has three different lines so you can see more areas of the city.  We really enjoyed it.  You can book online if you want and exchange the voucher for a ticket when you first get on a bus.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:05 AM, HolsAddict said:

I too am boarding in Rome! I have booked my excursions by phone with NCL because you cannot apply the $50 port credit online. If you book online they told me that $50 board board credit will be added to your account. I will pay the difference for my excursions once on board, even better no up front cost!

Because a few of our excursions are pricey I will pay before we sail, the credit will just about cover the rest. I like s low bill at the end of the cruise.