Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Paulette3028

What fun activity did you participate in on a sailing?

Recommended Posts

Here is mine......we were selected as the married longest couple to play on Love and Marriage.  Mitch Meruchi was the CD and as he was going around the audience to find the longest married couple 'that would play' one after another declined.  We were only married 38 years at the time (many others were longer) but alas none of them were 'brave souls'.  It was a blast.  When you are on a cruise, be BRAVE, HAVE A BLAST!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago I won a slot tournament for $5,000. That was fun. Also, later that evening I won the evening Texas Holdem poker Tournament for another $500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've won bingo games on NCL and Carnival.  I also won a drawing on NCL during the same bingo event when I won at bingo.  That was probably annoying to other people.  LOL. I'm too shy to participate in more one-on-one shows.  Maybe someday, after a drink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sat on my balcony, listening to my favorite music through my headphones, sipping some wine, watching the sea go by.  To me, that was very fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we sail Princess we usually participate in the Pop Choir.  EM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got picked for most Celebrity gameshow type things it seemed.

 

First one was formal night where I had been drinking a bit so didn't do well on  WWTBAM type thing. Knew all the bookish and Geography questions but no clue on the others. Got a T-shirt.

 

The next was the next formal night (again dressed up) where our team won Family fortunes (forgot it's US name). I think we won some bubbly.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an amazing table at dinner : two couples from Russia, two from Australia, and a tax accountant and his algebra teacher wife (neither of whom even approached fitting the mold)  - fortunately on most of our cruises we have had interesting and enjoyable table mates.  I am inclined to think that the wider application of “my time”, “free style” or whatever dining has resulted in those who do not enjoy the experience opting out - with the result that those with whom you are seated being   more inclined to participate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting on my aft balcony, sipping a beer and watching the sunset while an albatross glides past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parasailing in the Caribbean, winning 80's trivia with a perfect score, riding in a bucking, rapidly-filling Zodiac in Antarctica, going to a sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica,  etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

Sitting on my aft balcony, sipping a beer and watching the sunset while an albatross glides past.

 

I'm frequently out on a small boat.  I don't think there are albatross where I go, but am not sure i would recognize one.   Anyway, watching waterfowl, and especially pelicans, effortlessly skim the surface of the water is always breathtaking to me.   I never have been able to capture a pic.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

Here is mine......we were selected as the married longest couple to play on Love and Marriage.  Mitch Meruchi was the CD and as he was going around the audience to find the longest married couple 'that would play' one after another declined.  We were only married 38 years at the time (many others were longer) but alas none of them were 'brave souls'.  It was a blast.  When you are on a cruise, be BRAVE, HAVE A BLAST!

 

Thanks for being this type of person and contributing to the fun of others. I haven't been brave enough (or married) to do such a thing yet lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've won bingo games on NCL and Carnival.  I also won a drawing on NCL during the same bingo event when I won at bingo.  That was probably annoying to other people.  LOL. I'm too shy to participate in more one-on-one shows.  Maybe someday, after a drink.

  

Start off at Karaoke --- with a drink or two....and everyone else at Karaoke has had a drink or two or three....so don't worry.  As the saying goes....you probably won't see any of these people again,  anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Had an amazing table at dinner : two couples from Russia, two from Australia, and a tax accountant and his algebra teacher wife (neither of whom even approached fitting the mold)  - fortunately on most of our cruises we have had interesting and enjoyable table mates.  I am inclined to think that the wider application of “my time”, “free style” or whatever dining has resulted in those who do not enjoy the experience opting out - with the result that those with whom you are seated being   more inclined to participate. 

Over the years, now 27 cruises into our cruise history with more booked,  only once did we try MTD.  We did it to 'try it'.  We have enjoyed the company of the people we have been seated with in the dining room.  What I believe is happening unfortunately is that with more and more specialty restaurants and MTD we find ourselves assigned to a table perhaps with 6 or 8, but often times we are the only ones there.  We frequent a Specialty restaurant once (if Izumi is onboard) maybe twice if it is a longer cruise....but the experience of meeting other cruisers at dinner is waning.....SAD to SAY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

Over the years, now 27 cruises into our cruise history with more booked,  only once did we try MTD.  We did it to 'try it'.  We have enjoyed the company of the people we have been seated with in the dining room.  What I believe is happening unfortunately is that with more and more specialty restaurants and MTD we find ourselves assigned to a table perhaps with 6 or 8, but often times we are the only ones there.  We frequent a Specialty restaurant once (if Izumi is onboard) maybe twice if it is a longer cruise....but the experience of meeting other cruisers at dinner is waning.....SAD to SAY.

Yes, that does happen, but it is still preferable to having one or two couples who are obviously uncomfortable with the idea of sharing tables.  I guess it is a matter of previous experience:  in college I had meals with a consistent group in shared residence;  in the Navy about a dozen of us shared meals in the wardroom;  at work we had common tables at lunch;  at home we often host, or attend, dinner parties.  Dining  with a group can be one of the more enjoyable aspects of cruising.

 

A couple of times we have simply merged with other tables which had empty seats after a few minutes.   The waiters actually prefer it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, that does happen, but it is still preferable to having one or two couples who are obviously uncomfortable with the idea of sharing tables.  I guess it is a matter of previous experience:  in college I had meals with a consistent group in shared residence;  in the Navy about a dozen of us shared meals in the wardroom;  at work we had common tables at lunch;  at home we often host, or attend, dinner parties.  Dining  with a group can be one of the more enjoyable aspects of cruising.

 

A couple of times we have simply merged with other tables which had empty seats after a few minutes.   The waiters actually prefer it.

Over the years we have cruised I have always found a way to make those 'uncomfortable' comfortable....I am happy for the people skill of it.  I have even managed to overcome the language barriers that happen on occasion.   On our next two cruises, we are actually sailing with our own group, so having people at dinner won't be an issue at all.

 

I agree wholeheartedly that "Dining  with a group can be one of the more enjoyable aspects of cruising."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are quite a few that we had fun participating in. The Marriage Match game, a lot of trivias and quizzes, karaoke nights, black jack and poker in the casino....Beat the Cruise Director, Yes/No game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On long cruises with lots of sea days, we get involved with many activities on board; the bravest thing I've done was to join "Speaker's Corner", and give a 15 minute talk to an audience about an event in my life. This event happened over several mornings, and on the last day there was a special talk from a veteran who had been injured in the army... there was a special venue for this one, and it was packed with people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paulette3028 said:

Over the years we have cruised I have always found a way to make those 'uncomfortable' comfortable....I am happy for the people skill of it.  I have even managed to overcome the language barriers that happen on occasion.   On our next two cruises, we are actually sailing with our own group, so having people at dinner won't be an issue at all.

 

I agree wholeheartedly that "Dining  with a group can be one of the more enjoyable aspects of cruising."

You're not the one who passes out the religious tracts and shares your testimony without asking, are you???  (just kidding)

I doubt that you'd be able to woo me to a group table.  I love traveling solo and cherish my time by myself on a cruise.   I have good people skills, too, as I have to deal with service recovery of unhappy guests all the time - I get paid to turn that growl into a happy laugh 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit that I'm boring, but I just enjoy being with my wife. She runs a large in-home daycare and the only time she can really relax is when she is far away on vacation. Were like a couple of college kids laughing and giggling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On ship, we enjoy the wine tastings and some times beer tastings. We are not sophisticated enough to want to pay top dollar for the high-end wine one, but I was pleasantly surprised and informed by the "walk around the world" tasting on Zuiderdam last month-ish.

 

We like having the beverage package to try different drinks on our own, as well, sitting in the Crows Nest or equivalent watching the waves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I'll admit that I'm boring, but I just enjoy being with my wife. She runs a large in-home daycare and the only time she can really relax is when she is far away on vacation. Were like a couple of college kids laughing and giggling.

I love the part of your comment when you say "Were like a couple of college kids laughing and giggling" --- that is so cool.

 

I look at cruises as the equivalent of 'adult camp'.....except we don't HAVE to do things, we don't want to do.....but we get to be doing things we might not do at home.....and laughing and giggling, fills that gap as well!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Balcony club. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, SRF said:

Balcony club. 😄

Hopefully an 'ocean view'.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, Paulette3028 said:

Hopefully an 'ocean view'.

 

 Spoil sport. 😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...