Amsterdam

richwmn

@richwmn or @65 Gator   Hi, guys!  If either of you is out roaming the ship and have time, would you mind wandering by 7021 (midship starboard) and letting me know if there are any service or closet doors anywhere close to it and also the proximity to the door into the Neptune Lounge on that side.  We're currently booked in 7027 but maybe 7021 would be a better location.  Welcome your opinion.  Thanks!  Barb

Edited by zelker

1 hour ago, zelker said:

@richwmn or @65 Gator   Hi, guys!  If either of you is out roaming the ship and have time, would you mind wandering by 7021 (midship starboard) and letting me know if there are any service or closet doors anywhere close to it and also the proximity to the door into the Neptune Lounge on that side.  We're currently booked in 7027 but maybe 7021 would be a better location.  Welcome your opinion.  Thanks!  Barb

Here is a photo of 7021, two opposite doors and the Neptune...

IMG_1554.JPG

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Here is a photo of 7021, two opposite doors and the Neptune...

IMG_1554.JPG

THANK YOU!!!   A picture really is worth a thousand words!  And this is exactly what we needed to see to know we'll stay right where we are.  ☺️

Hi Barb.......I sent a response to you awhile ago on my cell phone and I am not sure that it got onto this thread, I can't find it.

My DH and I are on the next Amsterdam cruise, we are in 7027 also.  I did quite a lot of research on cabins on that floor, most were available as we booked early on.  There were excellent reviews about 7027 (and 7025) as they are right below the Canalleto restaurant and are reported to be very quiet.  They are also conveniently right across from the elevators, the reviews stated that elevator noise was not an issue probably because you need to enter an alcove to get one.

I feel that we made an excellent choice and hope that you will feel the same way.  You are still close to the Concierge lounge.

Hope this helps........Judith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JudithLynne said:

Hi Barb.......I sent a response to you awhile ago on my cell phone and I am not sure that it got onto this thread, I can't find it.

My DH and I are on the next Amsterdam cruise, we are in 7027 also.  I did quite a lot of research on cabins on that floor, most were available as we booked early on.  There were excellent reviews about 7027 (and 7025) as they are right below the Canalleto restaurant and are reported to be very quiet.  They are also conveniently right across from the elevators, the reviews stated that elevator noise was not an issue probably because you need to enter an alcove to get one.

I feel that we made an excellent choice and hope that you will feel the same way.  You are still close to the Concierge lounge.

Hope this helps........Judith

Hi, Judith - you're right, I had forgotten that Canaletto is directly above which is why we originally booked 7027.  Also, it doesn't look like it will be under any of the Lido overhang and farther away where people up there can't see directly onto the verandah - both a good thing.  Proximity to the NL is not a big deal to us - further away is actually not a bad thing in our book. 

Would love to get your firsthand opinions when you get back.  My email is barb dot h at comcast dot net

Have a great time! If you haven't done this itinerary before, it's wonderful and many people repeat it (will be our third time!).

Barb

Edited by zelker

Barb....this will be our third time also for this particular cruise.  It will be our 14th Alaska cruise and our 44th cruise overall.  We will be celebrating our 45th anniversary. 

In my research I also learned all of the good things that you did about 7027.  I will be happy to get in touch with you once I return.  We do not purchase internet on board.  When are you going?

My email address is: markjudith at msn dot com

57 minutes ago, JudithLynne said:

Barb....this will be our third time also for this particular cruise.  It will be our 14th Alaska cruise and our 44th cruise overall.  We will be celebrating our 45th anniversary. 

In my research I also learned all of the good things that you did about 7027.  I will be happy to get in touch with you once I return.  We do not purchase internet on board.  When are you going?

My email address is: markjudith at msn dot com

We're on the June 29th sailing.  This is "only" our 6th Alaska cruise … compared to you we're still rookies but I see you live in the PNW so it's kind of like sailing in your own backyard while we still have to get up there from Colorado.  😉 

Happy 45th by the way!  

It is evening on Amsterdam. Early dining has already started, the Lido opens shortly. MDR menu attached.

This morning the Cruise Director Bruce had a very nice "Coffee Chat" with the Future Cruise Consultant. It was a very good 45 minute presentation which was well attended.

After the "Coffee Chat" the next event was at the main stage, with the Captain giving a presentation on the operation of Amsterdam. Another very good presentation.

Tonight the Main Stage features Mike Robinson, a comedian I believe I have seen before. More on this later.

09JuneDinner.pdf

9 hours ago, richwmn said:

It is evening on Amsterdam. Early dining has already started, the Lido opens shortly. MDR menu attached.

This morning the Cruise Director Bruce had a very nice "Coffee Chat" with the Future Cruise Consultant. It was a very good 45 minute presentation which was well attended.

After the "Coffee Chat" the next event was at the main stage, with the Captain giving a presentation on the operation of Amsterdam. Another very good presentation.

Tonight the Main Stage features Mike Robinson, a comedian I believe I have seen before. More on this later.

09JuneDinner.pdf 39.25 kB · 35 downloads

Thanks for posting the menus!   So my question, is the MDR dinner food as good as it reads?

We are booked on the Amsterdam next year and following with a lot of interest.  Thanks for posting the menus as well.  Now that I see a picture of 7021, do you know if the emergency exit is also on the deck below?  We are booked in 6159 and on the deck plan there’s just a blank space.  We moved from 6147 across from the laundry room thinking it might be better.  I would appreciate a picture or any info of what is across 6159 starboard side.  Thanks for your help.

4 hours ago, Signal Mtn said:

Thanks for posting the menus!   So my question, is the MDR dinner food as good as it reads?

"Good" can be so subjective.  We took our first cruise (which was on HAL) in 2004 and continue to enjoy the product they offer - and have 3 cruises booked with them between now and spring of 2020.  As on any cruise line, or in any restaurant for that matter, sometimes food (and service) is really good, sometimes not so much.  But it's never been consistently off enough to keep us from continuing to sail HAL .  Of course, YMMV.

Good Morning,
Today is a long day in Anchorage, we arrived at 7:00am and all aboard is 8:30pm
Entertainment tonight:
Ocean Bar:
Ocean Trio has 3 sets today, 6:00, 7:45 & 9:45
Piano Bar:
Wally B entertains from 8:45 until closing
Explorers's Lounge:
Return Tomorrow
Main Stage:
Comedian Bengt Washburn returns
Movie:
Glass
Today's movies on the TV
Ch35: Fantastic Beast: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Ch36: Book Club
Ch37: Free Solo   
Happy Hour:
4:00 - 5:00 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest, 9:45 - 10:45 in the Ocean Bar, 10
over the course of the day - Scattagories, Pickleball, Ping Pong, Party
Bridge, Mahjong and moreimageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

TowelAnimal20190609.jpg

W&W20190610A.jpg

W&W20190610B.jpg

Edited by richwmn

3 minutes ago, SammyMiami said:

Question, can I do my own laundry onboard? or do I need to bag it for them?

Amsterdam still has a Self-Service Laundry facility available. Someone else will chime in with costs, I'm sure.

49 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Amsterdam still has a Self-Service Laundry facility available. Someone else will chime in with costs, I'm sure.

I understand that the ship provides detergent for the washing machines.   I am wondering if that is optional or if the detergent is automatically dispensed into the machine.  My husband has skin allergies and so we always bring our own detergent to avoid issues.  Would appreciate any info you could provide.

5 minutes ago, 2pbears said:

I understand that the ship provides detergent for the washing machines.   I am wondering if that is optional or if the detergent is automatically dispensed into the machine.  My husband has skin allergies and so we always bring our own detergent to avoid issues.  Would appreciate any info you could provide.

I have never used the laundry facilities, so I can't directly answer. However @RuthC has contributed such information in the past and hopefully will answer.

2 hours ago, 2pbears said:

It's not optional as the detergent has to meet the requirements for processing and getting rid of.   That doesn't prevent you from also adding your own but I don't believe it'll be of much use along with the ship's detergent.  You also want to be sure that upcoming drydocks aren't going to delete the self-serve laundry as they have on at least the Zaandam.

Used to be $2 per laundry load, $1 per dryer load, quarters only.

On that note, a friend of mine does laundry in a hand spun salad mixer, usually only delicates/intimates.  Might be an idea for you as an option.

Edited by 0bnxshs

18 hours ago, richwmn said:

09JuneDinner.pdf 39.25 kB · 60 downloads

I would have opted for the Lido.

5 hours ago, zelker said:

"Good" can be so subjective.  We took our first cruise (which was on HAL) in 2004 and continue to enjoy the product they offer - and have 3 cruises booked with them between now and spring of 2020.  As on any cruise line, or in any restaurant for that matter, sometimes food (and service) is really good, sometimes not so much.  But it's never been consistently off enough to keep us from continuing to sail HAL .  Of course, YMMV.

Thanks that was helpful!

It is really a nice day in Anchorage today. As we have seen each day so far the temperature is moderate and we have had no rain.

Amsterdam is docked in a very industrial area where we were told we can not walk around the terminal area. HAL is providing a shuttle to downtown Anchorage, an area within walking distance to quite a few things. It is not a very long shuttle ride on large tour buses.

About three blocks from where the shuttle drops off its passengers there is a Visitor Center that is pretty nice. One of the things that is available there is a $20, one hour trolley tour around Anchorage. I took the trolley and had a very good driver / tour guide and felt the money was well spent.

A note on last night's entertainment on the main stage. Mike Robinson is a very funny comedian / ventriloquist. When I saw the name I thought I had seen him before and I was right. He has been around HAL for a least a couple of years. His show was funny and the time passed quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1