Cuba cruises nixed

voyageur9

Seems like Trump administration is banning cruises and other forms of travel to Cuba .. Bolding mine

State Department Seal

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE

For Immediate Release

June 4, 2019

United States Restricts Travel & Vessels to Cuba

Today, the United States took strong action to prevent U.S. travel to Cuba from enriching the Cuban military, security, and intelligence services by announcing new restrictions on authorized travel and vessels to the island.

Going forward, the United States will prohibit U.S. travelers from going to Cuba under the previous ‘group people-to-people educational’ travel authorization.  In addition, the United States will no longer permit visits to Cuba via passenger and recreational vessels, including cruise ships and yachts, and private and corporate aircraft.   

The United States holds the Cuban regime accountable for its repression of the Cuban people, its interference in Venezuela, and its direct role in the man-made crisis led by Nicolas Maduro.  Despite widespread international condemnation, Maduro continues to undermine his country’s institutions and subvert the Venezuelan people’s right to self-determination.  Empowered by Cuba, he has created a humanitarian disaster that destabilizes the region.

These actions are directly linked to the tourism industry, which has strong economic ties to the Cuban security, military, and intelligence sectors in Cuba. Veiled tourism has served to line the pockets of the Cuban military, the very same people supporting Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela and repressing the Cuban people on the island. In Cuba, the regime continues to harass, intimidate, and jail Cubans who dare to voice an opinion different from the one the regime wants them to have.  The United States calls on the regime to abandon its repression of Cubans, cease its interference in Venezuela, and work toward building a stable, prosperous, and free country for the Cuban people. 

• Like 1

I wonder what will happen to people already booked?  Here is a quote from a CNN article:

The Treasury Department in a statement clarified that "certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized will continue to be authorized where the traveler had already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019."

• Like 1

I take that language to mean that HAL could do a cruise that was announced but could not accept new bookings which would presumably make most such voyages economically impossible.

Roy

• Like 1

It took away the P to P  but it did not take away Cuban/Americans from going there to see their families,  Nor does it seem to take away the In Support of the Cuban people category.

Also if the ship sails for another port that is not USA and then goes to Cuba from that port does that count?

And if the ship is not American ship can he tell them they can't go?

It says planes will still fly there because they won't restrict families. 

Does it mean we can not go there from Mexico? 

Does it mean we can not fly there in support of the Cuban people?

How about the other categories?  Religious activities?  (My last trip we spent time at the synagogues, Jewish cemeteries, holocaust exhibits.)

Humanitarian Projects?

I was there last week,  the people are struggling as it is and this only hurts the innocent people,  it does nothing to the government.  They don't care, they are rich.   I feel for the people we met.

• Like 5

Yester day, I commented  here on CC   (in the 'Yikes'  thread) about Cuba's actions in regard to   Venezuela    and speculated the 'travel rules' as pertains to U.S. and Cuba   well could change. I 'm not sure  I was  thinking that would happen so soon,,,,  'one day' later but given recent events in Venezuela I think it was inevitable at least for the  short term.

image.png.5356dd0873c99b5467f93000cbfd0711.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

37 minutes ago, Lady President said:

I wonder what will happen to people already booked?  Here is a quote from a CNN article:

The Treasury Department in a statement clarified that "certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized will continue to be authorized where the traveler had already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019."

Good

Happy to read anyone who has made a deposit for a cruise likely will be able to have their cruise  to   Cuba.

Depending, of course, upon HAL's reaction to this announcement and  whether they will choose to continue their cruises to Cuba.  (proba bly back to  how much money  they may have been making/ losing on those cruises.

image.png.3750972573b5825bf544a3d49638b664.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

Good

Happy to read anyone who has made a deposit for a cruise likely will be able to have their cruise  to   Cuba.

image.png.3750972573b5825bf544a3d49638b664.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

But, if the cruise ship is only 1/4 full how could they possibly afford to go? I am guessing they will just implement another port. It will be interesting....

Daily Mail is reporting all cruise lines sailing from a US port are banned from visiting Cuba effective tomorrow. Lawyers for the cruise lines in Miami have confirmed sailing to Cuba is prohibited effective tomorrow. The lawyers are searching for a loophole but as of a few minutes ago no loophole.

The cruiselines have had two months to come up with emergency plans.

49 minutes ago, wyobean said:

The exception is for "certain group people-to-people educational travel that previously was authorized will continue to be authorized where the traveler had already completed at least one travel-related transaction (such as purchasing a flight or reserving accommodation) prior to June 5, 2019." While I think that all travel can be educational in the broad sense of the word, that's not an out for everyone with a booked cruise to Cuba.

1 hour ago, wyobean said:

But, if the cruise ship is only 1/4 full how could they possibly afford to go? I am guessing they will just implement another port. It will be interesting....

1 hour ago, wyobean said:

You cut off the part of my post which  commented about making /losing money     How did you arrive at a ship being   1/4 full? Anything specific or i dle    speculation?  🙂

• Like 1

If no new bookings are permitted on existing sailings to Cuba, then if a ship is only 3/4 full, the cruise line would probably cancel the Cuban ports and go elsewhere.  You know how any cruise line hates to sail with empty cabins.  If they are prohibited from selling any more bookings on an existing cruise, that cruise will be cancelled or the itinerary will be changed.

But, if the post from Granny DI above is correct, no ship sailing from a US port can call at Cuban ports, no matter how it's flagged or the citizenship of its passengers.

My guess is this - that "IF" (and it's a big i"if") the US government gives any exemptions for those already booked to still travel that the cruise lines will sail the published itineraries through end of June / earl;y July and then everything thereafter will be modified to alternate ports short term, and major fleet redeployments long term.  Given that Cuba cruises have sold at fares premium to other similar length voyages, I would expect they will compensate those paid in full (and in penalty) in some way, and those not paid in full will be re-fared for the new sailings and have the option to cancel w/o penalty.

I foresee HAL doing a COMPLETE redeployment on Veendam as her ONLY purpose in the Caribbean is to sail to Cuba.  Beyond that she's just not competitive on a 7 day routing from FLL, especially with her odd mid-week schedule.  As those sailings do not resume until Fall HAL would most likely allow anyone booked on her to receive a full refund of monies paid, even if on a non-refundable fare of some sort.

3 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

My guess is this - that "IF" (and it's a big i"if") the US government gives any exemptions for those already booked to still travel that the cruise lines will sail the published itineraries through end of June / earl;y July and then everything thereafter will be modified to alternate ports short term, and major fleet redeployments long term.  Given that Cuba cruises have sold at fares premium to other similar length voyages, I would expect they will compensate those paid in full (and in penalty) in some way, and those not paid in full will be re-fared for the new sailings and have the option to cancel w/o penalty.

I foresee HAL doing a COMPLETE redeployment on Veendam as her ONLY purpose in the Caribbean is to sail to Cuba.  Beyond that she's just not competitive on a 7 day routing from FLL, especially with her odd mid-week schedule.  As those sailings do not resume until Fall HAL would most likely allow anyone booked on her to receive a full refund of monies paid, even if on a non-refundable fare of some sort.

If they re-assign the Veendam, then home port her in Tampa.   Since the sale of the Prinsendam was announced, the Rotterdam was pulled from Tampa and there are no HAL ships in Tampa for the future.   Tampa needs a HAL ship to be home ported there, and the Veendam would be perfect.

4 hours ago, Granny DI said:

Daily Mail is reporting all cruise lines sailing from a US port are banned from visiting Cuba effective tomorrow. Lawyers for the cruise lines in Miami have confirmed sailing to Cuba is prohibited effective tomorrow. The lawyers are searching for a loophole but as of a few minutes ago no loophole.

The cruiselines have had two months to come up with emergency plans.

Following this thread and news as we are booked on the Veendam Dec 11th specifically to visit Cuba.

What I was getting at is that some  ships for next year and beyond may just have started getting reservations. They could easily be 1/4 full. I didn’t intend to cut off your post. I just hit the quote button.

Edited by wyobean

3 hours ago, sail7seas said:

You cut off the part of my post which  commented about making /losing money     How did you arrive at a ship being   1/4 full? Anything specific or i dle    speculation?  🙂

So good to hear from you Sail!!!!!

Ive been hoping to see you back!

we have friends waiting for a call back from their TA in regards to Cuba.

Take care 

Denise😊

We luckily went to Cuba last summer.  We spent our $ on private tours and buying local goods.  We know we were supporting the government, but we also we supporting the Cuban people with our direct payments to them in cash.  We really liked the country and the people and would like to go back.  Maybe through Mexico or a Caribbean country now.  There are lots of tourists in Cuba, just not a lot of American tourists!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

IMO, Veendam is not suitable as a Caribbean  cruise ship without her aft pool.    I didn't think her particularly good for Bermuda.     I might book her again for a 'cool/cold weather cruise' but she is done as a warm weather ship,  IMO   image.png.bfb105378dfb8ea531073d3e4348a342.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

image.png

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

Hmmm, I just got a note saying essentially "hold tight, we'll let you know by tomorrow at 6pm":

Today, the United States government shared that educational and recreational (or people-to-people) travel to Cuba is no longer permitted and you may be wondering how this affects your upcoming cruise. Please know, we are assessing what these changes mean for all of our future Cuba cruises and we kindly ask for your patience. We promise to share an update with you and your Travel Partner by tomorrow, June 6th, at 6:00 PM EST. 

Edited by BethKel

We just booked this on Sat and I had our travel agent contact HAL to refund today.  I am worried if we keep it, that that HAL will end up substituting Cuba with other ports and I am already doing a 2 week cruise a few months before what was going to be our cruise to Cuba. I don’t need to spend a week on the Veedam to visit ports I have been to many times.  

3 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Agree.  We are on another line for Cuba in 2020.   100% Cuba itinerary.   Another itinerary for the same price is not acceptable.  However, we had something like this happen to us two years ago after the terrible hurricanes.  We were given (by yet  another cruise line) a completely different itinerary from what we had booked and paid for in full.  We were sent to a 100% different cruise from that we paid for and other ships of the same line were given the remaining ports from out itinerary.  I have not booked since with that line.