Jump to content

Where is Alaska Cruise tour info?


Recommended Posts

I am going on an Alaska Denali Explorer cruise tour next month.  I know I have read on here something about how you keep certain luggage with you, etc.  I also know that on the train I think your carry on has to be small... although I don't know how small.  Where do I find this info on Princess' website?  It should be readily available for all cruisetour participants.  Maybe I am missing something.

 

Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be but I found this thread very helpful.

 

for a short summary  each person is allowed 1 bag that follows them to each lodge that you will tag with the follow me tags they give you.  The rest of your luggage if any will have the meet me at ship.  your carryon needs to be small like backpack or tote as I believe it said it goes under your seat in most buses and train.  I have been on the train and I normally have a wheeled bag that fits under airplane seats...it did not fit...so unless you want to be stuffed with it on your lap or resting your feet on it.  We plan on doing the 1 bag per person to the lodge and then both DH and I are bringing backpacks to fill with the stuff we will need throughout the day or stuff we don't want in the mass luggage pile, money, jewelry etc stuff we have for the entire trip but don't want to leave in my big bag...between the 2 backpacks we should be good.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Marvie227 said:

 

Thanks!  I was looking for something like this.  I have no idea where on the website it is but I am glad you found it.  I wonder how many people on the tour won't know info they need to know?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dickinson said:

 

Thanks!  I was looking for something like this.  I have no idea where on the website it is but I am glad you found it.  I wonder how many people on the tour won't know info they need to know?

I've found some of the more obscure corners of the Princess website are easier to find via Google than by reasoning with the site.

 

Jim

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

I've found some of the more obscure corners of the Princess website are easier to find via Google than by reasoning with the site.

 

Jim

 

Great idea!

Link to post
Share on other sites

"We recommend sort-sided tote bags or backpacks no larger than 17"X14"X4" width with a zip enclosure.

Wheeled carry on cases that are used as carry-on luggage on airlines are too large and are not suitable as hand-carried luggage on motorcoaches and trains."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hubby and I each have rolling backpacks that hold our CPAP machines, a laptop, and other carryon "stuff".  On the buses, the bus driver would usually open up the bottom so we could stick our bags in there, and there were usually a couple of other people doing that as well.  On the train, the new seat configuration allowed them to fit side by side under the seat in front of us but we were also asked by the host of our train car if we wanted him to store it for us.  So if you have the need to take a slightly larger bag with fragile equipment, they are very accommodating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Hubby and I each have rolling backpacks that hold our CPAP machines, a laptop, and other carryon "stuff".  On the buses, the bus driver would usually open up the bottom so we could stick our bags in there, and there were usually a couple of other people doing that as well.  On the train, the new seat configuration allowed them to fit side by side under the seat in front of us but we were also asked by the host of our train car if we wanted him to store it for us.  So if you have the need to take a slightly larger bag with fragile equipment, they are very accommodating.

 

Thank you!  For various reasons I have not been proactive about this cruise and am just now starting to take it seriously.  I do see you are on the roll call which I posted once.  We are doing a six day land tour first.  Usually we bring a laptop with us when traveling but I am concerned about leaving it in buses in the underneath section and also having to possibly carry it with us on the train.  I told dh to learn to use my iPad 😉

 

Overall I felt that if I, a frequent reader of cc didn't know about luggage for the cruisetour, then how do other people who are not on cc know?  They probably don't!

 

Almost forgot... the new seat configurations... Are they on all the trains or only certain ones?  I saw a thread recently where they said that the dims of 17x14x4 were for the old configuration but that is what Princess posts.  I don't think I ever saw any other dims but could have missed more posts as I don't remember if I was "following" it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dickinson said:

 

Thank you!  For various reasons I have not been proactive about this cruise and am just now starting to take it seriously.  I do see you are on the roll call which I posted once.  We are doing a six day land tour first.  Usually we bring a laptop with us when traveling but I am concerned about leaving it in buses in the underneath section and also having to possibly carry it with us on the train.  I told dh to learn to use my iPad 😉

 

Overall I felt that if I, a frequent reader of cc didn't know about luggage for the cruisetour, then how do other people who are not on cc know?  They probably don't!

 

Almost forgot... the new seat configurations... Are they on all the trains or only certain ones?  I saw a thread recently where they said that the dims of 17x14x4 were for the old configuration but that is what Princess posts.  I don't think I ever saw any other dims but could have missed more posts as I don't remember if I was "following" it.

 

 

Don't worry!  You should be able to bring on a laptop bag with no problems.  There are usually extra seats on the buses if it is too big for the overhead bin too.  By the way, when we left our bags under the bus, there were only a couple down there and they laid flat on their backs with nothing piled on top.  I wouldn't put our bags down there otherwise.  My backpack is roughly 13 - 14 inches deep, same width, and about 20" high and hubby's is slightly smaller.  If you have a laptop bag, you shouldn't have any problem at all.

 

All of the Princess trains have been reconfigured to two seats.  We've been on both train configurations and we actually managed to get our bags to both fit under the bench seats too.  They stuck out a little bit but it worked and we still had legroom.  With the new seats, we need to put them under the seat with the wheels towards us and they just fit without crushing them.  I've put a picture below of the under the seat space.  Would have been better if I had a measuring device but at least you'll know what you're dealing with!

 

 

319 (12).JPG

319 (11).JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

 

Don't worry!  You should be able to bring on a laptop bag with no problems.  There are usually extra seats on the buses if it is too big for the overhead bin too.  By the way, when we left our bags under the bus, there were only a couple down there and they laid flat on their backs with nothing piled on top.  I wouldn't put our bags down there otherwise.  My backpack is roughly 13 - 14 inches deep, same width, and about 20" high and hubby's is slightly smaller.  If you have a laptop bag, you shouldn't have any problem at all.

 

All of the Princess trains have been reconfigured to two seats.  We've been on both train configurations and we actually managed to get our bags to both fit under the bench seats too.  They stuck out a little bit but it worked and we still had legroom.  With the new seats, we need to put them under the seat with the wheels towards us and they just fit without crushing them.  I've put a picture below of the under the seat space.  Would have been better if I had a measuring device but at least you'll know what you're dealing with!

 

 

319 (12).JPG

319 (11).JPG

 

Thank you so much for this info and the pictures!  If I have any other questions I'll either ask here or on the roll call.  Thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic's State of the Industry Report - Trends & Future Outlook
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...