What have they done to your Cuba cruise?

I leave in 10 days for a Cuba only cruise on the Empress (3 days in Cuba and one Coco Cay).  I called and they said they have no information one way or another and plan to have a statement in 24 hours.

There are only a few options :

1  Get the cruises that are booked grandfathered in

2.  Change the itinerary

3. Cancel

In our case the entire itinerary is Cuba and I cannot imagine that they can get any ports other than maybe Bahamas and 3 trips to CoCo Cay LOL which I think would cause a mutiny.  And cancelling is not going to be an option so they better try to find a loophole.

I think the biggest issue is the government gave them no time to make adjustments.  I guess in 10 days I will either be having a staycation or Cuba.  No way I am spending 8 days floating aimlessly around Miami...

Edited by Ms BumbleBee
added the ship name
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

I leave in 10 days for a Cuba only cruise on the Empress (3 days in Cuba and one Coco Cay).  I called and they said they have no information one way or another and plan to have a statement in 24 hours.

Ugh.  Good luck!!

19 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

For those currently booked on Cuba cruises (Empress and Majesty?), what have you heard from RCI about what is going to happen to your trip?

Q

Does the June 4, 2019 statement regarding Cuba impact my ability to cruise to Cuba in the future?

A

Latest Update - June 4, 2019 at 1:45 pm EST

Royal Caribbean is closely monitoring the announced changes to U.S. policy regarding travel to Cuba. We will communicate additional updates to our guests and travel partners when additional information becomes available.

6 minutes ago, vacationlover_mn said:

Ugh.  Good luck!!

Thanks!  I am going to just wait and see at this point.  I hope common sense allows grandfathering for cruises that are happening in the next 30-60-90 days but I am not holding my breath.  At this point I am assuming I am donating the cost of 2 rooms to RCL and the cost of 3 flights to AA and will be sitting at home.

I cannot imagine RCL being able to come up with an itinerary out of air that will make it worth spending 8 days on a tiny boat with no real amenities.  We picked the trip for Cuba - had we wanted something else we would have booked it.  Not angry at RCL just the fact that the trips that are most impacted happen to include us.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Ms BumbleBee said:

There are only a few options :

1  Get the cruises that are booked grandfathered in

2.  Change the itinerary

3. Cancel

In our case the entire itinerary is Cuba and I cannot imagine that they can get any ports other than maybe Bahamas and 3 trips to CoCo Cay LOL which I think would cause a mutiny.  And cancelling is not going to be an option so they better try to find a loophole.

I think the biggest issue is the government gave them no time to make adjustments.  I guess in 10 days I will either be having a staycation or Cuba.  No way I am spending 8 days floating aimlessly around Miami...

So, you want Royal to break US Law?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Uhhh no.  I said they will figure out how to comply or not.  As I said I am waiting to hear how the cruiselines will interpret.  Until then I will wait and see.

I also said I understand if we don't go to Cuba and the adjusted itinerary is not interesting I will simply stay home.

To be clear:

I am not asking RCL to break the new US laws

I am not demanding my money back

I am not posting replies that add no value.

I simply answered what I know as of today and my plans. 

• Like 16

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

It seems at least a couple folks might.

Not sure why there's so much 'surprise" being expressed in these posts...this was a real probability mentioned months ago to start this summer.  Here's today's Department of State formal announcement - it seems quite clear:

"Today, the United States took strong action to prevent U.S. travel to Cuba from enriching the Cuban military, security, and intelligence services by announcing new restrictions on authorized travel and vessels to the island.

Going forward, the United States will prohibit U.S. travelers from going to Cuba under the previous ‘group people-to-people educational’ travel authorization. In addition, the United States will no longer permit visits to Cuba via passenger and recreational vessels, including cruise ships and yachts, and private and corporate aircraft."

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, pcdoctor01 said:

NCL pretty much said the same thing.   I'm soooo disappointed.

As did Carnival and others. Compliance isn't optional.

When all this started to be a real possibility as far back as late last year...some folks changed their cruise plans accordingly, while some did not. Knowing this could happen, not changing it came with the risk today's announcement might happen.

• Like 3

Q

Does the June 4, 2019 statement regarding Cuba impact my ability to cruise to Cuba in the future?

A

Latest Update - June 4, 2019 at 6:00 pm EST

We are aware of the new U.S. travel restrictions to Cuba and we are analyzing the details to understand the impact to future sailings.  We expect to know more within the next 24 hours and will communicate any changes as soon as we are able.  In the meantime, we are adjusting the itineraries of our June 5 and June 6 sailings, which will no longer stop in Cuba. We are communicating with our guests about those changes. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Looks like Royal understands the order. 

Empress was sold. Royal moved it back to do Cuba cruises. MJ was for sale. I wonder what happens to them now. MJ especially is a high maintenance ship. 

Empress could be "re-purposed" to the Bahamas or Bermuda. That would let Royal rethink what they want to do with Independence and/or other larger ships that now go to Coco Cay.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Nothing but a guess...but it wouldn't be a shock if one of those ships is suddenly "up for sale".  With all the new ships being delivered in 2019 - 2021...and Cuba likely off the table for destinations for some time...the revenue potential just isn't there to keep some of the smaller/older ships.