Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
silversurf

Wheelchairs in buffet

Do P and O have designated areas in buffet for people in wheelchairs? We find buffets difficult enough without hunting for a table. We use them as little as possible, but sometimes with early excursions we need to use them for breakfast.

Room service is not an option as we don’t like the panini and the other offerings aren’t really substantial enough to start the day.

NOt as far as I know, but I have seen people walking around with "can I help you" on their apron. maybe nab one of them and get them to find you a table..or any lurking officers would be a good bet..just a smile and could someone help me please..and I think you may find from there on in, should not be a problem.

Posted (edited)

The staff are a bit better trained these days on helping people who have an obvious problem.  You might well get a bit of assistance with seating.

If you want an early breakfast why not look at the MDR waiter service breakfast option.  Times and location of the MDR doing breakfasts are always in the relevant section of "Horizon" newsletter.   Never busy early on and waiters will direct you to a suitable table, take your order and look after you well.  You can choose to have your own table or share and chop and chance every day if you wish.  Port days they start earlier than sea days, so you need to check the times for tomorrow daily.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Thanks chaps.

John, we prefer our breakfast in the MDR, but I didn’t know they started earlier on port days.

you have to allow lots of time as waiting to get a wheelchair in a lift can take some time.

Take a sharp stick...😀

I have seen wheelchair users approached by staff as they enter the buffet and helped with seating etc, but I assume this could change from ship to ship.

Goid luck and enjoy.

Andy

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, silversurf said:

Thanks chaps.

John, we prefer our breakfast in the MDR, but I didn’t know they started earlier on port days.

you have to allow lots of time as waiting to get a wheelchair in a lift can take some time.

On the final, disembarkation day they open even earlier for the waiter service breakfast in MDR, really early something like 6.30 and 7.30?.  They run a two sitting breakfast on this day only and a biggish queue builds up they let you all in at once then lock everyone else out after 15 mins.  Then it's closed shop until the next queue gets let in an hour later.  This is quite efficient for the last day.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The first time I came across seating reserved for passengers with mobility problems was last year with  Celebrity. It really made using the buffet easier and, IMHO, is something that other lines could learn from.

9 hours ago, Slugsta said:

The first time I came across seating reserved for passengers with mobility problems was last year with  Celebrity. It really made using the buffet easier and, IMHO, is something that other lines could learn from.

My wife is a wheelchair user and, although it can sometimes be difficult, we always find somewhere to sit in the buffet. Personally I would not want to always be seated in the same area and always with other wheelchair users.   On Ventura this January we were one evening put on a table for 8 in the MDR with 3 other wheelchair users all remaining in their wheelchairs, it was a most uncomfortable dinner.

19 minutes ago, happytravelleruk said:

I always stay in my wheelchair in the MDR.   Why was it uncomfortable?

Both in terms of having to squeeze up because 2 of the chairs were quite wide, and because it felt like we had all been put together out the way.

Wheelchair users are not limited to the 'designated' tables - but I agree that, at busy times, able-bodied people might try to say 'Those are your tables, you can't use ours'. All I can say is that it seemed to work well when I saw it. There were a few tables at one end of the buffet and they never seemed uncomfortably crowded.