Virgin Voyages' Letter Re: Cuba

uromac

FYI:

Letter from Virgin Voyages regarding Cuba travel ban:

https://view.e.virginvoyages.com/?qs=50961a56dd301e75f006328de8ce5d89ffe615b52a56584bdba0224e4781723d31d147e6cd83b1949eff4396754ab16148af8e0abc53f100405ca0f7b6797442d5d01f126adf4451750532f054d05b31

I personally would love an extra day on Virgin's Bimini Beach Club  or a visit to Necker Island!! 😉 

Edited by uromac
adding info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, uromac said:

FYI:

Letter from Virgin Voyages regarding Cuba travel ban:

https://view.e.virginvoyages.com/?qs=50961a56dd301e75f006328de8ce5d89ffe615b52a56584bdba0224e4781723d31d147e6cd83b1949eff4396754ab16148af8e0abc53f100405ca0f7b6797442d5d01f126adf4451750532f054d05b31

I personally would love an extra day on Virgin's Bimini Beach Club  or a visit to Necker Island!! 😉 

Options are limited to where they can sail on a short cruise from South Florida.  Also many other cruise lines all trying secure new ports as well, with those cruise lines having more ships and clout to get first dibs.  I'm thinking this is pretty big blow for VV, as they really marketed Cuba as a big part of the Virgin experience.  Perhaps they will rethink 7-day cruises and throw in a mix of those?  

I personally was looking at Virgin for the Cuba experience.  The adults only, no buffet was a huge draw, but pricing was so high, I paused. I can honestly say that if Virgin is unable to go to Cuba, then I will look elsewhere. 

My guess is it will be somewhere very close to Florida as VV appears to be keeping fuel charges at a minimum.   Cuba was about as close as you can get so I hardly doubt they will travel very far with the new location.   The business model looks like it was built on cheap fuel expenses with the closeness and the overnight..   Looks like a tough one for VV.

Any chance they would do Key West? It seems like a natural fit as it has the party atmosphere that adults traveling without children may be seeking. Not many ships call on Key West it seems, I wonder why? Port fees too expensive? I know weather can be challenging there for docking. 

Quite a few cruise lines have included Key West on their former Cuba and new substitute itineraries.  It definitely seems like a better fit for Virgin than Nassau.  The problem is that Key West is reachable by car and is a tough sell as the only featured destination.  I'd rather go there as part of a longer itinerary.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 11:11 PM, Nymich said:

My guess is it will be somewhere very close to Florida as VV appears to be keeping fuel charges at a minimum.    

I agree 100%.  SCARLET LADY is definitely going to be a slow boat based on their itineraries.  Essentially floating around at a very minimal speed.  They do seem to be focused on minimal fuel usage itineraries.  

On 6/9/2019 at 10:04 AM, Essiesmom said:

Maybe they can broker a deal with MSC to use their new private island, Ocean Cay, when they are not using it.  Or Coco Cay, but RCI has more ships to go there than MSC.  EM

Not exactly an ideal cruise for what Virgin is charging.

On 6/9/2019 at 10:04 AM, Essiesmom said:

Maybe they can broker a deal with MSC to use their new private island, Ocean Cay, when they are not using it.  Or Coco Cay, but RCI has more ships to go there than MSC.  EM

Virgin’s Beach Club is supposed to offer essentially the same experience.  I can’t see them using a branded experience from another line.  They are all about being different and unique.  

Key West and Nassau (hopefully not Freeport) are likely replacements for Cuba, if there is even any dockage space left.  

10 hours ago, eroller said:

Virgin’s Beach Club is supposed to offer essentially the same experience.  I can’t see them using a branded experience from another line.  They are all about being different and unique.  

Key West and Nassau (hopefully not Freeport) are likely replacements for Cuba, if there is even any dockage space left.  

What is different about Key West and Nassau?  I know you walked when the itineraries came up and now wish we did, but the 20% non-refundable deposit is a concern.  We booked for Havana and if the best Virgin can do is substitute KW and Nassau what a disappointment.  

I’m booked on Richards Birthday Bash which is 4 nights/5 days and was scheduled to do Bimini and Havana for 2 days.  While I understand that Virgin can’t control the Cuba changes, I am disappointed that they send one email saying the port is changed to Key West and another email will be coming regarding special pricing, only to get my revised itinerary and find the special pricing is only $66 cheaper.  There is a huge difference between going to Cuba for 2 days and Key West for 1.  For $3700 I can do a 4 Night/5 day cruise on any other line 3 times.  Other cruise lines are offering 20% -40% discounts on 2020 bookings or significant onboard credits.  $66 is passing the port tax savings into the consumer.  I’m also disappointed that the email had no info on canceling options. You have to call or chat and have to specifically ask about how to get a full refund  or they just tell you you can move your deposit to another booking.   Once you press they’ll tell you you have till 7/10 to decide to cancel for full refund of deposit.  Key West is drivable from Miami and not an equal replacement for 2 days in Cuba.  Virgin needs to adjust the price based on the destination.

I also was taken back by the "discount", my fare dropped $22 for the first sailing on April 1st. I would have rather had them offer to buy me a beer or two. If I decide to keep the reservation, I have no reason to get off the ship the whole time. I guess that is one plus.