Jump to content

Haven Suites-Perks, Newbie Info and Hidden fees??


Kfeldmar
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, QueenDoOver said:

 

We have four Nespresso machines between our homes. We found it funny that controls were “reversed” on NCL.  
(Thinking that NCL must have been offered a deal for manufacture issue)

 I remember having chat with Hotel director  on Pride of America week before dry dock. He was excited because they were swapping out Coffee machines to Nespresso. He had a personal Nespresso in his cabin and we  laughed our favorite machines and coffees.  
We now bring a sleeve of our favorite when cruising.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lots of information here.  We love the Haven as well.  I just want to point out the thread is just over 2 years old.  Just something to consider while reading. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Kfeldmar I assume you didn’t get to go on the subject cruise, or was it in the beforetimes? Are you rebooked for a make up cruise like so many of us?

 

Although it’s two years old, still fun reading! Good info. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, phissy said:

We have four Nespresso machines between our homes. We found it funny that controls were “reversed” on NCL.  
(Thinking that NCL must have been offered a deal for manufacture issue)

 I remember having chat with Hotel director  on Pride of America week before dry dock. He was excited because they were swapping out Coffee machines to Nespresso. He had a personal Nespresso in his cabin and we  laughed our favorite machines and coffees.  
We now bring a sleeve of our favorite when cruising.

I have never used a Nespresso machine.  Can I find coffee pods to bring on board for it that are for good ol “brewed coffee” flavor?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NCLherewecome said:

I have never used a Nespresso machine.  Can I find coffee pods to bring on board for it that are for good ol “brewed coffee” flavor?  

You can get Nespresso Original (pods for this machine) online or Costco or Nespresso boutique at Macy’s. You can try some there. (Depending on where you live)

Lungo makes larger cup vs espresso. Light blue pod.
Since patent has lapsed, there are similar looking pods that work for Original machine. William Sonoma sells individual sleeves of all intensities. Decaf lungo is good also.

hope this helps.

Edited by phissy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, phissy said:

You can get Nespresso Original (pods for this machine) online or Costco or Nespresso boutique at Macy’s. You can try some there. (Depending on where you live)

Lungo makes larger cup vs espresso. Light blue pod.
Since patent has lapsed, there are similar looking pods that work for Original machine. William Sonoma sells individual sleeves of all intensities. Decaf lungo is good also.

hope this helps.

We have found Starbucks, Peet’s, Bustelo and others at local supermarkets. Just make sure you get “original” and not “vertuo” or it won’t fit in the machine. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NCLherewecome said:

I have never used a Nespresso machine.  Can I find coffee pods to bring on board for it that are for good ol “brewed coffee” flavor?  

Your Butler will keep your coffee restocked. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It sounds like the Haven on the new Prima will be even better because all the cabins are in the true haven area.  It also sounds like the elevators are more dedicated than mentioned earlier in this post? I also would not like to have the elevator go directly to my floor and skip floors of other passengers so hopefully it does not do this.  Really looking forward to my first Haven and NCL experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

If the Haven area spreads across multiple decks though, does it still count as being in the "true" Haven, or is there even a "true" vs false Haven at that point?

it doesnt matter. if youre booked in a haven, youre booked in a haven, regardless of the deck. some haven cabins are on the same deck as the restaurant, bar and pool, which someone may consider a "true haven"   but  they're all haven and all people in any haven suite get the same perks and goodies.

 

so enjoy 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

If the Haven area spreads across multiple decks though, does it still count as being in the "true" Haven, or is there even a "true" vs false Haven at that point?

As long as the cabin is in the H category then you are staying in a haven suite. Thus you have the same benefits even if you don't stay in the Haven area  Majority of cabins are in the section called Haven but others like aft and spa won't be. 

 

If location is your thing then get one which is in the Haven. You find that similar cabins in and out of the haven could have a difference of a few hundred dollars. Like real estate, location cost more

Edited by Yinster
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No, I understood that a Haven cabin is still Haven even if not within the courtyard area proper. Someone above had said "the new Prima will be even better because all the cabins are in the true haven area".

 

My point was that it was still spread across multiple decks. Albeit all in the same side of the ship this time (rather than forward facing, aft facing and courtyard on both sides as with the current set up). With the current designs the "true Haven" was always considered those near the courtyard. Yes you still get the perks of Haven and access to the courtyard if you're all the way aft, but for some it was less desirable because you weren't "right there". "True" Haven was just one deck away at most, but always near that courtyard.

 

Now, some rooms will be several decks away from that courtyard/lounge/bar. So yes, you don't have to walk from back to front, but you still are not just one flight of stairs away for some. So that was my hypothetical question - what is now considered "true" Haven on the Prima when all the cabins are in one general location (rather than all over), but spread across multiple decks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Then to answer your question, if a cabin is within the area that needs access by a haven key card then it's in the "true" haven. Which means all the cabins in the Prima regardless which deck it is in. 

MSC yacht club is on several decks but everyone is in the yacht club area. 

 

if you think staying several decks below the haven facilities makes it less haven then I guess you need to make sure you are in the deck you want. 

 

Personally I don't care which deck I'm on if I'm in the haven. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I prefer the forward/aft Haven cabins which seem to be more private and less noisy. Not counting Prima, aft Haven's are the best which is probably why all Havens on the Prima were moved  to the rear of the ship where the best views are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/26/2021 at 2:49 PM, phissy said:

We have four Nespresso machines between our homes. We found it funny that controls were “reversed” on NCL.  
(Thinking that NCL must have been offered a deal for manufacture issue)

 I remember having chat with Hotel director  on Pride of America week before dry dock. He was excited because they were swapping out Coffee machines to Nespresso. He had a personal Nespresso in his cabin and we  laughed our favorite machines and coffees.  
We now bring a sleeve of our favorite when cruising.

Would much prefer a Keurig.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Would much prefer a Keurig.  

I find Keurig watery. We’ve tried many varieties but it never comes up rich and strong.  Is it a particular brand that you like? I’m really looking forward to trying the nespresso machines on the ship to see if the investment is worth it. Time for something new.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 4:09 PM, gardening_guy said:

I find Keurig watery. We’ve tried many varieties but it never comes up rich and strong.  Is it a particular brand that you like? I’m really looking forward to trying the nespresso machines on the ship to see if the investment is worth it. Time for something new.

I'm just the opposite.  I don't care for overpowering coffees.  In fact, I usually put several ice cubes in my keurig to dilute the coffee even further.  I do use a morning blend which tends to be rather mild. Understand now that I'll usually consume six or eight cups a day.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 5:09 PM, gardening_guy said:

I find Keurig watery. We’ve tried many varieties but it never comes up rich and strong.  Is it a particular brand that you like? I’m really looking forward to trying the nespresso machines on the ship to see if the investment is worth it. Time for something new.

You can have your butler bring you a pot of French Press coffee from the Haven restaurant every morning. It is much better than the Nespresso coffee, in my opinion.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Falckon said:

You can have your butler bring you a pot of French Press coffee from the Haven restaurant every morning. It is much better than the Nespresso coffee, in my opinion.

Yes that's what we've done.  I don't care for the Nespresso and tiny cups of coffee....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Falckon said:

You can have your butler bring you a pot of French Press coffee from the Haven restaurant every morning. It is much better than the Nespresso coffee, in my opinion.

Doesn't have to be French Press.  I spent 30 years drinking Army Coffee.  It doesn't have to be something special.  Just regular coffee will do.  Having the butler bring the coffee isn't as good a solution as having a Keurig where I can make a fresh cup without waiting on the butler.  To be honest, I'll probably just pull on a polo and a pair of shorts and ramble to the Haven Buffet and fetch my own.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Doesn't have to be French Press.  I spent 30 years drinking Army Coffee.  It doesn't have to be something special.  Just regular coffee will do.  Having the butler bring the coffee isn't as good a solution as having a Keurig where I can make a fresh cup without waiting on the butler.  To be honest, I'll probably just pull on a polo and a pair of shorts and ramble to the Haven Buffet and fetch my own.

Lol, I always prefer going the the Haven Restaurant.  My wife forces me to do one breakfast in the suite.  “Happy wife, happy life.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Doesn't have to be French Press.  I spent 30 years drinking Army Coffee.  It doesn't have to be something special.  Just regular coffee will do.  Having the butler bring the coffee isn't as good a solution as having a Keurig where I can make a fresh cup without waiting on the butler.  To be honest, I'll probably just pull on a polo and a pair of shorts and ramble to the Haven Buffet and fetch my own.

Yes I'm the same.  I want my coffee now, not 5 minutes from now.  🙂 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2021 at 5:09 PM, gardening_guy said:

I find Keurig watery. We’ve tried many varieties but it never comes up rich and strong.  Is it a particular brand that you like? I’m really looking forward to trying the nespresso machines on the ship to see if the investment is worth it. Time for something new.


totally agree on the Keurig being too watery.  We have a nespresso machine at home and it’s great for cappuccino, but we still use an old fashioned 12 cup drip pot for regular coffee. It’s still better than the nespresso for regular coffee. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...