Cruise Critic Community
cobber1967

Prices can double in less than a year??

My wife and I are booked on the Celebrity Solstice this Sept. for 10 days from Vancouver to Hawaii.  Next year is our 25th anniversary so we thought it might be nice to take the reverse cruise on the Solstice in May of 2020.  Funny thing though.  The prices published for that cruise next May are more than DOUBLE the published prices for our cruise this Sept.    

Now I've aware of year over year regular increases.  BUT MORE THAN DOUBLE????  What's up with that Celebrity?

Prices are nuts and so is Celebrity ...... I'm glad I booked the Silhouette last year in 2018 for 2020 because it's up thousands of dollars already and would never pay what they are asking today. Rip off ........ 

Their prices fluctuate a lot as the staterooms start to fill up. It seems like the last quarter of rooms per category are significantly more expensive than the first quarter booked, if the cruise is still a ways off. When people cancel at final payment time, the rates will likely drop again.

Agree, prices are scaling up. Our January cruise on Reflection is double what I paid for. That is just the room rate, I also have all four perks. So it is crazy expensive.

This year X make several price drops after Tutu Pele (the volcano) became angry, we are on the Eclipse after your sailing, now the ship has more than 25% of the cabins available for booking.for next year if X keeps struggling to fill the ship wait for the price drops

Edited by gerelmx

We are booked for this  October current prices are 55% higher (same perks) than we booked at, no Suites available 2 AQ open. Final payment in July so we’ll see what happens.  

If they raise prices and folks pay that price they will keep raising the price.  On the other hand there are plenty of us who have moved on to other lines (some of much higher quality then X) where we get more value.  That being said, we just returned (this morning) from 10 days on the Summit.  On this particular cruise we decided to have fun and go on "the cheap."  We booked a very nice regular balcony cabin using a last minute fare (about 3 weeks before the cruise) that cost us about $100 per passenger day.   We took advantage of our Elite Plus benefits (have not done this in many years) and enjoyed our free Bloody Mary's and Mimosas at the Elite Breakfast, multiple cocktails at the evening reception (one could also order the usual drinks at any bar during the 2 hour cocktail hours) and settled for our 480 minutes of free Internet (we used about 200 of those minutes in 10 days).  We also purchased the Classic Wine Package for dinner (drinking a half bottle of wine every evening).  Our total bill for booze was about $400 (including the wine) over 10 days or $20 per passenger day :).  

So hear is my message to the OP.  You have created your own dilemma by accepting the pricing of a one cruise brand.  There are many other brands and some offer better value then X while others do not.  Shopping around and varying your booking strategy, based on the market, can give you some big dividends.  But once a person makes the choice to limit their options they must either pay the price or pass.  We still enjoy Celebrity and had a great time on the Summit...a cruise where we received great value.  But for our longer term bookings (we have 4 more cruises booked in the next year) we look at the entire market and base our decision on itinerary as well as value.  Value does not always mean cheap (our next cruise is on Seabourn) but does mean one should receive an acceptable product for the price.  Right now we do not think that the longer term pricing of X meets our standards so we simply choose other lines.  When X offers a deal that does meet our standards we will be among the first to book :).

Hank

Celebrity are on crack with their prices. We’ve been pouring over itineraries for the next two years and X got none of our bookings. All social media celebrity groups I belong to are complaining about the prices and are booking elsewhere. I wish them luck. Maybe some sucker will pay it but seeing the fire sales on Edge should prevent anyone from booking before final payment. 

For about a four year stretch we were averaging 40-60 days a year, all on Celebrity. In December, it’ll be three years without using their product. We’ve done fourteen days on the Allure of the Seas, and by the end of October we’ll have done twenty eight days on MSC Seaside. It’s a win-win for both sides, we are getting a quality product for our money and they get to sell to someone who will pay their price plus spend money on board which we quit doing the last six cruises with them.

6 hours ago, gerelmx said:

This year X make several price drops after Tutu Pele (the volcano) became angry

Ahh that makes sense now their pricing is based on what the gods alow 😁

14 hours ago, cobber1967 said:

My wife and I are booked on the Celebrity Solstice this Sept. for 10 days from Vancouver to Hawaii.  Next year is our 25th anniversary so we thought it might be nice to take the reverse cruise on the Solstice in May of 2020.  Funny thing though.  The prices published for that cruise next May are more than DOUBLE the published prices for our cruise this Sept.    

Now I've aware of year over year regular increases.  BUT MORE THAN DOUBLE????  What's up with that Celebrity?

Agree it has gotten out of hand and you add the fact that Canadians pay close to 30 % more with our dollar compared to USD and it makes you consider the value vs other forms of Vacation.

Edited by Forecheck

Well we as well are looking else where for 2020... being Canadian our prices have really gone crazy... if prices get more on the sane side will book with Celebrity again...... :)

1 hour ago, Forecheck said:

Agree it has gotten out of hand and you add the fact that Canadians pay close to 30 % more with our dollar compared to USD and it makes you consider the value vs other forms of Vacation.

I see that the current exchange rate is $1 = Cad$1.34 - difference of 34%. Are saying that you effectively paying 30% more on top of the exchange rate?

Please remember that there are many folks who can't book last minute. We live in Minnesota and I will be pulling the trigger soon for our air fair for our trip in January.
I also need to book our pre-cruise hotel. I could book everything but the cruise now and wait to see if there are any bargains, but...no.

By the way, for anyone cruising out of Florida mid to late January if you have not looked at hotel rooms, you are in for a shock. The Super Bowl is in Miami early February and hotels are going to make a killing.

8 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

I see that the current exchange rate is $1 = Cad$1.34 - difference of 34%. Are saying that you effectively paying 30% more on top of the exchange rate?

Yes, paying 30% more because of the different exchange rate. It is what your home countries currency value is. It would be the same if I was comparing the dollar to the British pound about 27% difference, in favor of the pound. If I was visiting and paid for a $10 cup of coffee and a scone, it actually cost me $12.72.

32 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

Could pay another 3% bank fee on top of that so 1.37 to the $US. About 7 years ago the $CDN was at par with the $US. 20-20 hindsight I should have bought more $US at that time to stash into travel/vacation fund.

7 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Yes, paying 30% more because of the different exchange rate. It is what your home countries currency value is. It would be the same if I was comparing the dollar to the British pound about 27% difference, in favor of the pound. If I was visiting and paid for a $10 cup of coffee and a scone, it actually cost me $12.72.

Sorry I don’t understand your logic. As a matter of curiosity, I compared the price of a specific 14 night cruise from Southampton.

US $ 3796  

Cad $ 5244 = $3913

Gbp £2996 = $3814

When you convert the currency to $, there is little difference. 

49 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

A cruise package that would cost 10,000 USD would cost 13,406 cdn - Celebrity obviously has no influence on the strength of our dollar vs the USD , however the point is that on top of the inflationary prices and our dollar, CDNS must evaluate the value of a Celebrity Cruise.  

Edited by Forecheck

8 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

Sorry I don’t understand your logic. As a matter of curiosity, I compared the price of a specific 14 night cruise from Southampton.

US $ 3796  

Cad $ 5244 = $3913

Gbp £2996 = $3814

When you convert the currency to $, there is little difference. 

A Cruise that is 3796USD  is 5096 CAD- There is a difference. 

Edited by Forecheck

17 minutes ago, Forecheck said:

Cruise that is 3796USD  is 5096 CAD- There is a difference.

This is not 30% as you have suggested.  Celebrity use US $  as their currency. Exchange rates will influence the amount we have to pay. CAD $13,406 is $10,000. The drop in exchange rate for £ to $ has obviously a big effect on what we pay. UK exchange rate dropped dramatically a few years ago but is relatively stable at moment - I would say that costs are about 20% more than 3 years ago but there has only been minor variations in the last year;

The exchange rate between $ and CAD$ has not really changed in las 12 months

Edited by jimzgoldfinch

24 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Could pay another 3% bank fee on top of that so 1.37 to the $US. About 7 years ago the $CDN was at par with the $US. 20-20 hindsight I should have bought more $US at that time to stash into travel/vacation fund.

If you are booking cruise in Canada would you be paying in CAD $? Therefore no bank fee.

3 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

If you are booking cruise in Canada would you be paying in CAD $? Therefore no bank fee.

We can book in either currency.   No matter the math, we're paying 35% more for our cruises than we were a few years back.  Celebrity sets the currency rate that they use.  Oceania for the longest time was running at 25% which made them more reasonable and attractive.  Regent has been running some Canadian at Par specials.  Celebrity have done nothing to my knowledge.

11 minutes ago, jimzgoldfinch said:

This is not 30% as you have suggested.  Celebrity use US $  as their currency. Exchange rates will influence the amount we have to pay. CAD $13,406 is $10,000. The drop in exchange rate for £ to $ has obviously a big effect on what we pay. UK exchange rate dropped dramatically a few years ago but is relatively stable at moment - I would say that costs are about 20% more than 3 years ago but there has only been minor variations in the last year;

The exchange rate between $ and CAD$ has not really changed in las 12 months

Ya- Its more than 30 % which further enhances my original point -

I am not sure what point you are trying to make -- Can you clarify for me??