Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
perlgirlnj

Rookie mistake on Crystal OBC

Recommended Posts

I never thought I'd do this, but I planned out--and largely paid for since they're private excursions--all of our excursions for our upcoming Iceland/Norway cruise.  I neglected to take into account that we have a healthy amount of OBC begging to be used.  Generally I'd use it for internet (but it's included), specialty dining (but it's largely included), spirits (included), etc.  We hope to use some for a Vintage Room lunch, and I'd never complain about a massage, but that still leaves us with a pretty good amount of OBC left.  What am I missing that we could spend this on?

 

I just looked over all of our excursions to see if I wanted to cancel something and use the OBC for a Crystal excursion, but honestly, I like what I've already booked and I don't want to mess it up.  And I can't find anything to add on that works in terms of timing or that isn't duplicative.

 

Silly problem, right?  :classic_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do what my daughter does, SHOP!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought. Take a look at the reserve wine list. It's fantastic. I've spent the bulk my OBC on reserve list wines many times. I know I'm not the only one who's taken a carton or more of reserve list wines with me when leaving the ship. Yes, the list is that good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund?  It's used for the entire crew to have parties, purchase sporting equipment such as bicycles, or help crew who need to return home for family emergencies, etc.....it seems to be a worthwhile use of some of one's "extra" OBC.

 

~Nancy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crew fund is a good idea if Crystal will let you use it for that.  If not, and the OBC came from outside sources (read: not Crystal),  it should be refundable in cash (or at least that was our experience on Silversea).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The crew fund is a good idea if Crystal will let you use it for that.  If not, and the OBC came from outside sources (read: not Crystal),  it should be refundable in cash (or at least that was our experience on Silversea).

No OBC is refundable on Crystal.

We've used ours for massages, facials, shopping and the crew welfare fund and/or tipping for extra special service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AtA said:

No OBC is refundable on Crystal. 

 

Even if it was given to you as a gift from, say, your TA?  What right do they have to keep that money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Silver Sweethearts said:

 

Even if it was given to you as a gift from, say, your TA?  What right do they have to keep that money?

Yes even if it is given by your TA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is already another thread on the topic of on board credit and the fact that it is not refundable so if one wants to argue this how about posting there and keeping this thread focused on what the original poster is asking about.

 

pelgirlnj some thoughts for you for how to use on board credit.

 

If you need a transfer at the end of the cruise once on board the ship you could book a private transfer to take you to airport or hotel.  You could book a shared transfer instead but with a lot of on board credit a private transfer is something to think about.  If you want to do a private one see the concierge once on board the ship.

 

Gratuities for individuals charged to your shipboard account and/or the crew welfare fund.

 

Salon appointments such as a Massage, or nails or cut, etc.

 

Personal Training with one of the two Fitness Directors

 

Connoisseur Wine

 

Sign up for a group Vintage Room

 

On-Board Shopping

 

Having items washed, pressed or dry cleaned  (NOTE: Pressing would be included if staying in a suite).

 

Purchasing Caviar 

 

These are just some idea of how you could use the credits.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super ideas, several I didn't know about at all.

 

We're excited--it's soon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on this cruise.   Look forward to meeting you, perlgirlnj.

 

It's been a while since I sailed with Crystal.   I looked at the shore excursions.   No prices???  How can one reserve an excursion without knowing prices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Private dance lessons. 

 

Private Vintage Room dinner. 

 

Acupuncture (available from the Salon). 

 

Perhaps private golf lessons? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years back, our brilliant butler let it drop, accidentally, that he was to be married to another staff member, whom we knew and valued highly. Had lots of OBC. Made a nice wedding present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Private setting with the photographer?

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're a lover of sushi you can also order special menu items from Umi Uma. I don't think they give you the special items menu automatically so you may need to ask for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That’s a great idea, ClefsDor. The special sushi menu is posted outside UU along with the regular menus. 

Edited by TER777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

On another thread, I found the included spirits list.  Am I reading this correctly that there are no single malt scotches included?  If so, that'll use some OBC because that's what DH drinks.  I'm sure one of these threads has a complete spirits list but I can't find it at the moment.  Can someone tell me typical prices for a pour of something like Macallan or Oban or Dalwinnie?  Or tell me where the spirits list is?

 

EDIT:  Found it myself finally!

 

Thanks for the great ideas above.  We'll be doing some spending (and probably donating) for sure.

Edited by perlgirlnj
Found the list!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, perlgirlnj said:

On another thread, I found the included spirits list.  Am I reading this correctly that there are no single malt scotches included?  If so, that'll use some OBC because that's what DH drinks.  I'm sure one of these threads has a complete spirits list but I can't find it at the moment.  Can someone tell me typical prices for a pour of something like Macallan or Oban or Dalwinnie?  Or tell me where the spirits list is?

 

Have a look at this thread - 

 

Plenty of Single Malts on the All Inclusive list and you can buy some of the Premium ones if they’re not to your liking 

 

See page 5 for a link to a recent listing - while things do change it will give you a good indication on the range 

Edited by Stickman1990

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not Crystal, but same idea. We had $600 OBC with Regent and couldn't find a way to spend it.....We sent all of our laundry to be cleaned....right down to the underwear. Packed everything clean and pressed in the suitcase on the last day and went home with all clean clothes except what we were wearing. Kinda great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 2:40 AM, Keith1010 said:

There is already another thread on the topic of on board credit and the fact that it is not refundable so if one wants to argue this how about posting there and keeping this thread focused on what the original poster is asking about.

 

pelgirlnj some thoughts for you for how to use on board credit.

 

If you need a transfer at the end of the cruise once on board the ship you could book a private transfer to take you to airport or hotel.  You could book a shared transfer instead but with a lot of on board credit a private transfer is something to think about.  If you want to do a private one see the concierge once on board the ship.

 

Gratuities for individuals charged to your shipboard account and/or the crew welfare fund.

 

Salon appointments such as a Massage, or nails or cut, etc.

 

Personal Training with one of the two Fitness Directors

 

Connoisseur Wine

 

Sign up for a group Vintage Room

 

On-Board Shopping

 

Having items washed, pressed or dry cleaned  (NOTE: Pressing would be included if staying in a suite).

 

Purchasing Caviar 

 

These are just some idea of how you could use the credits.

 

Keith

 

Ditto about those wonderful Crystal Private Transfers that make coming and

going so easy and relaxing.

Edited by orchestrapal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditto on the ship transfer.  We did that and it made it much smoother to get to the airport stress free.

Also, my wife had her hair blown out (I guess that's a thing) a few times and she loved it.

We didn't do it, but I think you can use it to get "bet only" chips for the casino.  Winning chips come back as regular chips that can be cashed.  Of course I would probably loose everything with nothing to show.  Kinda like a blowout I guess 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 2cruiseagain said:

We didn't do it, but I think you can use it to get "bet only" chips for the casino.  Winning chips come back as regular chips that can be cashed.  Of course I would probably loose everything with nothing to show.  Kinda like a blowout I guess 😁

 

You can not use OBC in the Casino - for a short period a couple of years ago they allowed it but that was stopped fairly quickly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure we could have used at least a portion (may $100) for the bet only chips.  I just remember them explaining how those type of chips worked.

Of course I could be wrong as I never tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...