Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
erdoran

NCL free air - can I pay to upgrade to business class?

Anyone use the free air and upgrade to business class?  Is it do-able?  How did the final cost compare to what you would have paid yourself for a business class ticket?  TIA

Posted (edited)

Probably best to pose this question to the air carrier you’ll be flying on.  I’d think each flight might be a different fare depending on date, city flown from/to, who the carrier is, etc.

Some fares can’t be upgraded on certain carriers.

Edited by graphicguy

I had asked this very question and was told no by NCL.  It is true you may get a different answer from the airline.  The problem in asking the specific airline is that they currently use three airlines and you won't know for sure until you are booked with a specific airline.  Therefore you must commit before you know if you can upgrade.  

I just upgraded my free airfare to first class on Delta.  Did it online with no issues.  I had several sky miles that had built up that I don't see that I'm going to be using in the near future and thought it would be a fun start to our cruise.

Sure can. 

I cant afford business class..LOL

But i was able to upgrade to premium economy for my recent trip via United airlines website.

10 hours ago, ute_fan said:

I just upgraded my free airfare to first class on Delta.  Did it online with no issues.  I had several sky miles that had built up that I don't see that I'm going to be using in the near future and thought it would be a fun start to our cruise.

Awesome. I tried to do this online thru delta but in didn't have the required info to do online. No confirmation number. No credit card due to NCL booked.. I only see edocs and NCL reservation confirmation. Flight time and Flight #. Still 105 days out though. Am I missing something to do this online?

In your e-docs it should show the confirmation #. 6 alpha numeric characters preceded on my docs by a DL-.

Hope that helps. 

I didn't do it, but I did have the option to upgrade on my flight on American Airlines last month.  

Posted (edited)

I saw the option thru American's website.  You get it when you click on the link to choose your seats

Edited by dbrown84

Good tip....Now does anyone know if you upgrade to first class on Delta, then are the baggage fees waved?

4 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

Good tip....Now does anyone know if you upgrade to first class on Delta, then are the baggage fees waved?

Yes, if you are booked into first class prior to departure then your bags are free.