Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Many of you read my post about how I was burned pretty severe on the abyss on the symphony of the seas about 1 1/2 week ago. After I returned home I was still in pain and running a fever so I ended up being treated by my personal md who told me It will take weeks if not months for my burn wound to heal completely and I will definitely have a large scar on my arm.... i know many of you may say this sounds crazy and I slid down the abyss slide at my own risk but honestly I feel like there is something royal Caribbean should do regarding this. Because they admitted to me when I filed my accident report that they are aware that many people have gotten hurt on the abyss.... but why have they not taken any precautions to prevent this if they are aware? I'm not asking for a free cruise or anything but this incident ruined my cruise and I will have a scar on my arm to forever remind me of what happened it seems something can  be done to compensate for what happened? Who do I call or contact that will effectively take my matter serious and at least look into it to see if they can do something or do you think contacting royal would be a waste of my time?

Edited by Tntt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suspect they are waiting to hear what you want for your troubles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tntt said:

or do you think contacting royal would be a waste of my time?

👍

Get a lawyer!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Tntt said:

Many of you read my post about how I was burned pretty severe on the abyss on the symphony of the seas about 1 1/2 week ago. After I returned home I was still in pain and running a fever so I ended up being treated by my personal md who told me It will take weeks if not months for my burn wound to heal completely and I will definitely have a large scar on my arm.... i know many of you may say this sounds crazy and I slid down the abyss slide at my own risk but honestly I feel like there is something royal Caribbean should do regarding this. Because they admitted to me when I filed my accident report that they are aware that many people have gotten hurt on the abyss.... but why have they not taken any precautions to prevent this if they are aware? I'm not asking for a free cruise or anything but this incident ruined my cruise and I will have a scar on my arm to forever remind me of what happened it seems something can  be done to compensate for what happened? Who do I call or contact that will effectively take my matter serious and at least look into it to see if they can do something or do you think contacting royal would be a waste of my time?

 

You need to decide what you are looking for before you contact the cruise line.  You say you aren't asking for a free cruise but then you say you want compensation.  You need to make up your mind and then compose an email that is well written and to the point.  Have someone proofread it prior to sending it.  If you are looking for payment of ongoing medical costs, it probably makes sense to contact a lawyer.  Once you accept an offer from the cruise line, there will be no changing your mind, so think about exactly what you are looking for prior to making contact.  Good luck.  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the above recommendations are good.  Decide on the compensation you want, the corollary would be when you buy a house or car, you low ball the deal/sellers.  However in this case you want to highball your compensation request, but not go overboard.

 

The alternative would be engaging an attorney, keeping in mind that a lawsuit would need to take place in Florida.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, not sure what you are asking for, but having a lawyer send a letter with your demands to the company, would the  gather the attention you are  seeking. 

But remember, maritime law, is very different than U.S. law.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not to be negative or anything, but did you not have to sign a waiver before you went on the slide?  Just curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, karena1 said:

not to be negative or anything, but did you not have to sign a waiver before you went on the slide?  Just curious.

No 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

 

You need to decide what you are looking for before you contact the cruise line.  You say you aren't asking for a free cruise but then you say you want compensation.  You need to make up your mind and then compose an email that is well written and to the point.  Have someone proofread it prior to sending it.  If you are looking for payment of ongoing medical costs, it probably makes sense to contact a lawyer.  Once you accept an offer from the cruise line, there will be no changing your mind, so think about exactly what you are looking for prior to making contact.  Good luck.  🙂 

Best answer the OP is going to get!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

👍

Get a lawyer!👍

There ya go....that's what Americans do!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the slide caused injury I would at least contact a personal injury attorney. They definitely should be obligated to pay for your medical bills at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 3:47 PM, FuzzyWuzzy1 said:

There ya go....that's what Americans do!!

 

Are you sure he is an American?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel more than anything they need to reduce the risk to other people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fredflint said:

I feel more than anything they need to reduce the risk to other people.

 

Fred. What is that thing in your avatar that looks like a dead sheep/dog/goat? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 11:51 AM, Host Clarea said:

Go right to the top:  mbayley@rccl.com.

Why? That seems very inappropriate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Maybe I am alone in this but... not every accident results with compensation. I knew to wear long pants and long sleeves on the Abyss when Harmony came to the US.

 

I was burned pretty bad on a cruise several years ago. It was an accident, the coffee carafe had a mini explosion all over me. The staff took me to see the doctor and wouldn't let me off the ship (it was the last morning of the cruise) until they got a specialist there to check my eyes since there were burns near my eyes. 

Just a side note, the only people that ever knew about it were the people at the table with me, including my DH, DS, DBiL and my stepson... I have never told anyone on CC about it. Some on here might be shocked by this... 


All I wanted was to be OK and eventually I was. I do have a few scars from it but it was an accident... Be thankful it wasn't your life. 

Just my 2cents, sorry  

Edited by LilBlackDress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You send a very well constructed letter to RCI.  It will be sent to their legal department where they may request more information or pictures and supporting documentation.   In your letter be clear as to what you expect compensation wise.  They will likely come back with a low ball offer.  Do not accept it.  Reply with your expectations.   They will respond.  You don’t necessarily need a lawyer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 5:21 PM, reallyitsmema said:

 

You need to decide what you are looking for before you contact the cruise line.  You say you aren't asking for a free cruise but then you say you want compensation.  You need to make up your mind and then compose an email that is well written and to the point.  Have someone proofread it prior to sending it.  If you are looking for payment of ongoing medical costs, it probably makes sense to contact a lawyer.  Once you accept an offer from the cruise line, there will be no changing your mind, so think about exactly what you are looking for prior to making contact.  Good luck.  🙂 

I agree,good advice for the op to consider.

If you start high for a deserved compensation they might try to loss adjust down but you should still do okay.

If you set your sights low you will get less with no way to get more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Coralc said:

 

Fred. What is that thing in your avatar that looks like a dead sheep/dog/goat? 

That is my old Komondor, he used to love to sleep in the shower unless we locked the door he would get in.

2010-01-29 17.28.34.jpg

2010-01-15 17.18.15_edit0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, fredflint said:

That is my old Komondor, he used to love to sleep in the shower unless we locked the door he would get in.

2010-01-29 17.28.34.jpg

2010-01-15 17.18.15_edit0.jpg

A fine looking boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are not asking for "free cruise, or anything"....what ARE you wanting from them?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...