Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 6/7/2019 at 5:12 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

We were in Stockholm yesterday 6/06/2019, on the HAL Zuiderdam.

Heads-up, there was NO HAL Shuttle. You had the option of HOHO with Red Bus Sightseeing as an excursion or Stromma HOHO, taxi approximately $50US or walking 2.8 miles.

Nothing was noted on the "When and Where" about a shuttle so some scrambled in the morning.

We arrived at 7:00am - before MD or Pinnacle were open at 7:30am. Boarded the Stromma HOHO, because we had booked online before cruise.

We waited from 8:00 to 8:25 on the bus before leaving to the Vasa Museum. At that point we were told we had to all get off and pick-up another bus or boat (already in progress). Right., NOT. The buses and boats don't start until 10:00am - 5:00pm. We waited over an hour for the boat and it was 40 minutes late with few seats. In fact not all of us could board the boat and some had to wait until next boat (20 minutes +. Actually there were seats available, because some people were only 2 instead of 3 to a seat). We were full and could only let the people know at next stop there was no room. We got off - 2 people and 4 were waiting 1 in a wheel chair, they too were told no room.

When we boarded the second time, there were only 5 seats and 7 of us waiting. We got off the next stop and walked to the Opera House, where busses could be picked-up back to the ship. 2 stops available. 1st is the #1 stop and would take 15 stops before the ship. 2nd was a little further and was stop #8. It would only be 7 stops before retuning to the ship.

We spent most of our time waiting for a HOHO Bus or Boat.

Princess did have a large bus waiting for their people at the Opera House and was direct to the ship.

Not sure why HAL did not have one. We have had a Ship Shuttle on Celebrity last visit to Stockholm. First cruise NCL, was docked downtown area.

Very disappointed in HAL on this one. We expected more.

Have to say, very unhappy with Stromma HOHO and also spoke with people who were on the the Red Bus HOHO, not good either.

Forewarned is forearmed. 

 

 

Hi Joe & Pat!   

 

Hope your Baltic trip has been good despite this issue.  Hope to sail with you again sometime.  We are doing the Baltic next year on the Silhouette!!

Hope you will be doing a review of this cruise,  I'm sure it will be helpful in our planning for next year.

 

Jeanne

Edited by Gracie115

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 1:46 PM, Gracie115 said:

 

Hi Joe & Pat!   

 

Hope your Baltic trip has been good despite this issue.  Hope to sail with you again sometime.  We are doing the Baltic next year on the Silhouette!!

Hope you will be doing a review of this cruise,  I'm sure it will be helpful in our planning for next year.

 

Jeanne

 

Hey Jeanne,

Had a few blips(including a "delay" in Kiel). but weather was nice - actually got a little sunburn 😳. Would love to sail with you two too.

We will be doing a review when we get home. We are currently on a cruise to Norway, Iceland, Shetland Is. and Scotland. It will be a few weeks before we get to the review.

In the mean time, here is a review from 2016 Baltic on the Eclipse.

 Joe & Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

Hey Jeanne,

Had a few blips(including a "delay" in Kiel). but weather was nice - actually got a little sunburn 😳. Would love to sail with you two too.

We will be doing a review when we get home. We are currently on a cruise to Norway, Iceland, Shetland Is. and Scotland. It will be a few weeks before we get to the review.

In the mean time, here is a review from 2016 Baltic on the Eclipse.

 Joe & Pat

Thanks for the link!!  I know it will be helpful!!

 

Hope the rest of your cruise is wonderful, that sounds like one we would like to do someday!!

 

Jeanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DW and I have long been DIYers when it comes to travel, be it cruise ports, our extended driving trips, etc.  We have long agreed to disagree with many of our cruising friends when it comes to using HoHo's in port.  We do not like HoHo's for several reasons and seldom use the things.  They are usually expensive (when compared to using normal local public transit), involve a lot of waiting around (for the next bus, for the bus to leave, etc) and it means we often have to base our day on the HoHo schedule.  Our preference in Stockholm is to use local transit including the buses, trams and underground  coupled with a lot of walking.  It is a lovely city with much to see and do. Consider that a Travel Card is only about $10 (for Seniors) and covers unlimited public transit for 24 hours.  Unlike the HoHo one seldom waits more then a few minutes to access a bus, tram or the underground.

 

Hank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

DW and I have long been DIYers when it comes to travel, be it cruise ports, our extended driving trips, etc.  We have long agreed to disagree with many of our cruising friends when it comes to using HoHo's in port.  We do not like HoHo's for several reasons and seldom use the things.  They are usually expensive (when compared to using normal local public transit), involve a lot of waiting around (for the next bus, for the bus to leave, etc) and it means we often have to base our day on the HoHo schedule.  Our preference in Stockholm is to use local transit including the buses, trams and underground  coupled with a lot of walking.  It is a lovely city with much to see and do. Consider that a Travel Card is only about $10 (for Seniors) and covers unlimited public transit for 24 hours.  Unlike the HoHo one seldom waits more then a few minutes to access a bus, tram or the underground.

 

Hank

 

I like local transportation, too, if I have a specific destination in mind and can plan the trip in advance. AND easily get a transit card. It's easier in some places than others, although more cities are accepting contactless credit cards for payment, which I find very convenient. 

 

If you want a simple way to get an overview of a city without making a lot of stops, a HoHo bus can be a good option. But for point-to-point transportation it isn't my first choice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the Ho-Ho's, I don't count them out.  They're just another tool in the travel tool box.  We saw virtually everything in Barcelona with an overnight stay and two-day Ho-Ho, visited every museum.   It really depends on what your goals are for the day and how many ships are in town.  One thing we have learned: We don't wait for the bus to fill up at the port.  We get the map of the stops, take a taxi to one of the main hub stops, and start our tour from there.  It makes all the difference in the world.  At least that's how it has worked best for us.  We do really like the commentary from the headphones on the Ho-Hos's.  We've learned a lot about our destinations that we wouldn't have known if we'd just taken a public bus around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We were also on this cruise and it is important to note that June 6th (the day we were there) was the Swedish National Day. Plus, we were likely visiting Stockholm at the worst possible time - as a 4-day national holiday (Pentecost) started the next day. 

 

It was noted to us that, because the Swedish royal family would be appearing at various functions in the afternoon, there would be severe traffic congestion throughout the city. Travel by public transit was not recommended and getting a taxi would be difficult and likely extremely expensive.

 

We had booked a small group tour with Alla Tours ($95/each) and we were able to get around to see all the scheduled sights, without too many problems.

 

 

Edited by GeorgeCharlie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

We were also on this cruise and it is important to note that June 6th (the day we were there) was the Swedish National Day. Plus, we were likely visiting Stockholm at the worst possible time - as a 4-day national holiday (Pentecost) started the next day. 

 

It was noted to us that, because the Swedish royal family would be appearing at various functions in the afternoon, there would be severe traffic congestion throughout the city. Travel by public transit was not recommended and getting a taxi would be difficult and likely extremely expensive.

 

We had booked a small group tour with Alla Tours ($95/each) and we were able to get around to see all the scheduled sights, without too many problems.

 

 

 

All the more reason that HAL should should be near Gamla Stan like several NCL cruises we were on or saw and like the larger AIDA ship there on June 6th . The Princess ship in front of us had a shuttle and our previous trip on Celebrity had a shuttle . HAL should have a shuttle . We have thought of HAL as a Premium Cruise Line. They could and should do better for all their passengers.

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We had an absolutely beautiful day and weather in Geirangerfjord on a private tour yesterday . Looking forward to sharing the photos .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 1:00 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

All the more reason that HAL should should be near Gamla Stan like several NCL cruises we were on or saw and like the larger AIDA ship there on June 6th . The Princess ship in front of us had a shuttle and our previous trip on Celebrity had a shuttle . HAL should have a shuttle . We have thought of HAL as a Premium Cruise Line. They could and should do better for all their passengers.

 

I agree that HAL should have organized a shuttle, especially given that local transportation would be stressed on a holiday. But HAL doesn't control the berth assignments, so you can't blame them for not being closer to Gamla Stan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Check out the guy on the right standing on the overhang

 

Oh Lord.  I nearly had a panic attack.  😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2019 at 1:46 PM, Gracie115 said:
5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

 

I agree that HAL should have organized a shuttle, especially given that local transportation would be stressed on a holiday. But HAL doesn't control the berth assignments, so you can't blame them for not being closer to Gamla Stan.

 

Hi Joe & Pat!   

 

Hope your Baltic trip has been good despite this issue.  Hope to sail with you again sometime.  We are doing the Baltic next year on the Silhouette!!

Hope you will be doing a review of this cruise,  I'm sure it will be helpful in our planning for next year.

 

Jeanne

 

 

When guests complained was any  adequate  explanation offered by shore   staff?

 

 

image.png.9f2a8b351f5cb757403c55719120dbf5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sail7seas said:

 

 

When guests complained was any  adequate  explanation offered by shore   staff?

 

 

image.png.9f2a8b351f5cb757403c55719120dbf5.png

 

The staff said that they would report it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 12:00 PM, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

All the more reason that HAL should should be near Gamla Stan like several NCL cruises we were on or saw and like the larger AIDA ship there on June 6th . The Princess ship in front of us had a shuttle and our previous trip on Celebrity had a shuttle . HAL should have a shuttle . We have thought of HAL as a Premium Cruise Line. They could and should do better for all their passengers.

We were on the same cruise and had similar issues with the HOHO - the only response I got from HAL was "there's a disclaimer".  We are very disatified with HAL and their lack of free shuttles to port town centers.  Considering that most of their clientele are elderly who can't walk easily, they would make sure that shuttles are available.  I shouldn't have to pay 10 Euros to get 2 miles into town - I paid enough for my cruise.  Or they need to pay more for better port locations.  We're going to look at other cruise lines after this cruise.  Tired of all the "infomercial" daytime programs also - nothing to do on a sea day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 12:11 AM, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

The staff said that they would report it .

We were told "there's a disclaimer and HAL has no responsbility".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, my son has to travel to Stockholm for work and says the public transportation system is fabulous.

When we were there we used Alla for our tour and thoroughly enjoyed the city.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Marigold252 said:

For what it's worth, my son has to travel to Stockholm for work and says the public transportation system is fabulous.

When we were there we used Alla for our tour and thoroughly enjoyed the city.

 

We enjoyed the city by walking but getting there and back was the problem . It may be easy when you live there and are familiar with the system but when you a visiting in an area that is remote from the city it compounds the situation .  We contend that HAL should have known about the holiday and the resulting traffic before we got there and made a shuttle available from and to the port like the Princess ship did , or like the Celebrity ship did when we last visited Stockholm ( As a sidebar, Celebrity was not happy with the shuttle and credited the cost of the tickets back to everyone who used the shuttle).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...