Cruise Critic Community
aring75

LIVE - VISION Med and Greek Isles - 6/11-23

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

This is one of the best reviews I have read with fantastic photos.

I recognised most of the places you photographed and it makes us feel like we are back there.

Thank you.

Graham & Pauline.

Thank you so much!

11 minutes ago, aring75 said:

Thank you so much!

Thank you for taking the time to share your review and photos.

Dinner this evening-

The menu. 

IMG_5249-600x429.jpg

The basket of bread they bring to the table. 

IMG_5247-338x450.jpg

The fruit plate and charcuterie appetizers. 

IMG_5250-363x450.jpg

IMG_5251-353x450.jpg

The roasted chicken and the prime rib entrees. 

IMG_5252-345x450.jpg

IMG_5253-349x450.jpg

Dessert- The brownie (really sweet, would’ve been delicious with a light cream instead of the sweet merengue) and the cheesecake. 

IMG_5255-338x450.jpg

IMG_5254-338x450.jpg

Service was fantastic as it has been every night! 

1 hour ago, aring75 said:

Dinner this evening-

The menu. 

IMG_5249-600x429.jpg

The basket of bread they bring to the table. 

IMG_5247-338x450.jpg

The fruit plate and charcuterie appetizers. 

IMG_5250-363x450.jpg

IMG_5251-353x450.jpg

The roasted chicken and the prime rib entrees. 

IMG_5252-345x450.jpg

IMG_5253-349x450.jpg

Dessert- The brownie (really sweet, would’ve been delicious with a light cream instead of the sweet merengue) and the cheesecake. 

IMG_5255-338x450.jpg

IMG_5254-338x450.jpg

Service was fantastic as it has been every night! 

Are you looking forward to 2 sea days?

Rome has lots to see but it is 1-1.5 hours from Civitavechia.

If you are on a private tour make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship as the traffic is horrendous and last year on Freedom the ship was 1 hour late leaving Rome waiting for ships tours and several people missed the boat.

Livorno is very convenient for Florence and Pisa as RC usually use La Spezia now which is twice the distance from Florence/Pisa.

We're on a Greek Isles cruise next summer that includes Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens.  When you get back home (don't waste your limited time and bandwidth while cruising), I'd be interested in your thoughts on the tour providers that you used for these 3 stops.  I noted that you used Santorini Best Tours and The Travel Insider for Athens, but I missed who you used for Mykonos.  It sounds like your style of tours (small/private) is similar to ours and I'd value your opinion.

On 6/15/2019 at 4:57 AM, loveheart said:

I prefer an apple pie to have raisins in it. I love them ❤️

I'll add Casis over my pie 

Thanks for sharing your wonderful information. Makes me want to cruise visions again in Europe.

We enjoyed the Visions transatlantic October 2018. Loved Europe.

Great posts.

The activities staff was fantastic especially Talita who ran the stretch and Zumba classes.

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Are you looking forward to 2 sea days?

Rome has lots to see but it is 1-1.5 hours from Civitavechia.

If you are on a private tour make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship as the traffic is horrendous and last year on Freedom the ship was 1 hour late leaving Rome waiting for ships tours and several people missed the boat.

Livorno is very convenient for Florence and Pisa as RC usually use La Spezia now which is twice the distance from Florence/Pisa.

Yes! We are very much looking forward to these two sea days in a row. A little time to rest from the trip so far and recharge for the trip still ahead. 

And we do have a private tour in Rome. The time constraint is my one and only worry. It has a “return to your ship guarantee” and they have already emailed me stressing the importance of starting as soon as we possibly can in order to see everything before our return to the ship. I’m hoping that this is a good sign that they will be diligent about watching the time, knowing that the traffic will probably be an issue. 

I will certainly keep you all posted!

Oh, and glad to hear about Livorno. They made this change a while after we booked, so of course, we just took it in stride. Luckily, we hadn’t made any tour plans yet. 

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We're on a Greek Isles cruise next summer that includes Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens.  When you get back home (don't waste your limited time and bandwidth while cruising), I'd be interested in your thoughts on the tour providers that you used for these 3 stops.  I noted that you used Santorini Best Tours and The Travel Insider for Athens, but I missed who you used for Mykonos.  It sounds like your style of tours (small/private) is similar to ours and I'd value your opinion.

I will definitely do a more detailed review of the highs and lows of our tours and whether we would use our providers again or not after we return. However, just so you have the info, I booked our Mykonos tour with a company called iTravel Mykonos. I found this particular tour through Trip Advisor, but I usually try to book directly when possible. When I tried to contact them to book, though, they told me that Trip Advisor would be the best way. (There were a couple tours - the ones through smaller companies, I think - that worked that way).

I found all of the tours through a process of reading the Cruise Critic boards for recommendations of tours for the individual ports. Then, I also looked at Trip Advisor/Viator for ideas for “top tours” in the area. Some of them I would simply Google the location to find some ideas and then go from there. I read tons and tons of reviews to try to find a decent tour for the cost.

Unfortunately, we had a very inactive roll call. Three pages in one and a half years. Some people did plan tours together so that worked out well, but we never had the opportunity to share with anyone on the roll call. 

I must admit, I have probably done more planning for this cruise than any other we have been on. But everything was new. 

1 hour ago, aring75 said:

Yes! We are very much looking forward to these two sea days in a row. A little time to rest from the trip so far and recharge for the trip still ahead. 

And we do have a private tour in Rome. The time constraint is my one and only worry. It has a “return to your ship guarantee” and they have already emailed me stressing the importance of starting as soon as we possibly can in order to see everything before our return to the ship. I’m hoping that this is a good sign that they will be diligent about watching the time, knowing that the traffic will probably be an issue. 

I will certainly keep you all posted!

Oh, and glad to hear about Livorno. They made this change a while after we booked, so of course, we just took it in stride. Luckily, we hadn’t made any tour plans yet. 

Florence is a beautiful city with lots to see.

Pisa has the leaning tower but not much else.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'm not the OP but we were on the Vision's May 18-30th cruise Med/Greece and went to the ports you asked about.

Santorini we used GreekTraveling...a great full day tour "The Oia Experience" 82 Euros pp that included a boat that picked us up at the tender and took us directly to Oia getting there early and before the crowds. After touring there we went by bus to Fira. But you did have the option of going on to a winery before Fira. Half of us opted out of the winery to instead spend more time in Fira the other half went to the winery. We booked this with members from our (very inactive) rollcall a total of 16 people participated.

Athens we used PK Travel...another full day tour that was just wonderful...Google their website for all the info you might need.

Mykonos we decided to just wander around the town on our own. Some on our cruise took private excursions to the ruins and were very impressed. We were happy since our itinerary was so port intensive to not have anything planned for this port.

If you happen to also be going to Valletta, Malta and are a Game of Thrones fan 95 Euros pp I can "highly" recommend "Malta Film Tours", well this one was way beyond our expectation !!!!

Enjoy whatever works for you...this is an amazing itinerary !!!

Edited by Ashland

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'm not the OP but we were on the Vision's May 18-30th cruise Med/Greece and went to the ports you asked about.

Thanks @Ashland  This is great info. 👍 If anyone else has suggestions I welcome adding them to this thread. I know that I personally would have LOVED to have had as much information as possible when I was planning our cruise. So please feel free!!

Thanks to both aring and Ashland.  Very helpful.  We are not stopping at Malta but that sounds like a great tour (and I am/was a GOT fan...watched the finale on Freedom).  Our other stops are Crete and Ephesus, Turkey.  We don't sail until end of Aug 2020 so I've got some time to do a lot of research.

Cruise Compass - Day 8 - Day at Sea

IMG_5261-338x450.jpg

IMG_5262-338x450.jpg

IMG_5263-338x450.jpg

IMG_5264-338x450.jpg

Spent about an hour and a half by the pool this morning. There are at least four or five signs saying belongings will be removed after 30 minutes. These six chairs had these towels on them the entire hour and a half. Never saw a soul. Never had anyone remove the towels. In all fairness, there were some other empty chairs, but the loungers in the shade were few and far between. 

IMG_5265-338x450.jpg

They had an interview with the Captain (Cpt. Michael Lindberg). We enjoyed this a lot. He gave a lot of interesting information and seemed to enjoy sharing with the small crowd that gathered. 

IMG_5266-338x450.jpg

Right after the Captain’s talk, was the egg drop competition. If you have a chance to watch this, it’s a ton of fun. Passengers create contraptions to protect a raw egg that is dropped from the seventh deck of the centrum to the fourth. 

Everyone lining up to register their egg drop engineering marvels. 

IMG_5271-338x450.jpg

The blue tarp is laid out on the floor!

IMG_5272-338x450.jpg

Oh no! The first two trials dropped and splatted all over! Good thing for the tarp. But a few people in the front row moved further back, lol. 

IMG_5273-338x450.jpg

Yay! A parachute worked quite well. 

IMG_5275-338x450.jpg

After a few more failed attempts, it was looking a little messy. 

IMG_5278-338x450.jpg

And the winner constructed a double parachute that gently floated all the way down. 

IMG_5276-338x450.jpg

We usually like to do lunch in the main dining room on sea days. And today, it seemed, everyone else had the same idea. It was very crowded. Still very good though. 

The menu. 

IMG_5279-338x450.jpg

We ordered the chicken sliders to share and then both got the Tutti Salad. It was a madhouse. The one time I’m pretty sure it was busier than the Windjammer. 😳

The sliders were actually pretty good. The honey mustard dressing that came with made them quite tasty. 

IMG_5280-349x450.jpg

We decided to try the Banana Mille-Feuille for dessert. Wow. This was yummy. 

IMG_5281-357x450.jpg

I've never seen the egg drop competition before (only have sailed on one ship with a Centrum).  Looks like a lot of fun.  How does it work?  Do they provide supplies or do you have to scrounge up your own supplies from around the ship?  Do people bring supplies from home just for the competition?  I'm an Engineer and my brain is already spinning in circles about the possibilities.

If possible, could you snap a few picks of a bar menu? We are sailing on the same cruise in July and I’d like to know drink prices. Thanks!!

I was just wondering the same thing about the egg drop. That looks like fun. That would have been great on Rhapsody last year when you were looking for something to do on a smaller ship.

Our talk with the Captain was also held in the Centrum...this is very sad as it was standing room only since there aren't many seats. Why would they not hold it in the theater as there was absolutely "nothing" using that venue until the evening.

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I've never seen the egg drop competition before (only have sailed on one ship with a Centrum).  Looks like a lot of fun.  How does it work?  Do they provide supplies or do you have to scrounge up your own supplies from around the ship?  Do people bring supplies from home just for the competition?  I'm an Engineer and my brain is already spinning in circles about the possibilities.

we did the egg drop in junior high but I can't imagine doing it on a ship. I think my husband would love it!

We watched "The Great Egg Drop" aboard Grandeur earlier this year and it was a lot of fun!   They placed the egg in a sealed sandwich bag just in case it didn't survive the fall from deck 7 (didn't make a mess on the floor).  People used materials they found on the ship - straws, plastic bags, towels, paper for packing, etc.  At least one person (of the 26 contestants), did bring some stuff from home.

7 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

It looked like mostly supplies from around the ship (although there was one with someone’s straw hat). I’m not sure of the exact rules for building. The audience members only heard that the designs must land within the tarp area and the egg could not be cracked or broken. Otherwise, it was automatically disqualified. 

6 hours ago, depplep said:

I was just wondering the same thing about the egg drop. That looks like fun. That would have been great on Rhapsody last year when you were looking for something to do on a smaller ship.

It was obvious that all the teams really got into it. And there was a huge audience for this one. Everyone was really laughing and having fun. This was a great activity!

3 hours ago, Jax129 said:

we did the egg drop in junior high but I can't imagine doing it on a ship. I think my husband would love it!

We did one in our Physics class in high school! Lol, had to drop that poor egg off the top of the stadium bleachers. So many didn’t survive. I’d say there were 14-15 teams on the ship and about 6 eggs survived intact. Not bad for what they were working with, I think. 

2 hours ago, Wildcatfish said:

We watched "The Great Egg Drop" aboard Grandeur earlier this year and it was a lot of fun!   They placed the egg in a sealed sandwich bag just in case it didn't survive the fall from deck 7 (didn't make a mess on the floor).  People used materials they found on the ship - straws, plastic bags, towels, paper for packing, etc.  At least one person (of the 26 contestants), did bring some stuff from home.

Yes! It’s great to see all the ideas everyone came up with. We also had a ton of fun just watching it. I imagine all the groups of “engineers and designers” whose eggs survived the fall must’ve felt pretty proud! And I loved that it was open to all ages.

6 hours ago, NewYearFun3 said:

If possible, could you snap a few picks of a bar menu? We are sailing on the same cruise in July and I’d like to know drink prices. Thanks!!

Sure. I will get some photos of prices for you. 😊

It is Sea Day Number Four - and Mission: Bar Menus has commenced. 

Mission: Bar Menus is proceeding as planned. First stop, the Schooner Bar. Great place to use your diamond vouchers, especially when the lounge gets a little crowded. Vision’s Diamond Lounge is a little small. Also, if you are not yet Diamond and above, this lounge is great in the evening, as there is live piano music and quite a bit of seating.

IMG_5309-335x450.jpg

IMG_5310-399x450.jpg

IMG_5311-430x450.jpg

IMG_5312-449x450.jpg

IMG_5313-408x450.jpg

(Cont’d)