Lois??? Recommendations for a November Non-Silversea Solo?

pf778c

I'm trying to come up with a weekish (7-10 days) long solo cruise for this November, but my go-to, Silversea, doesn't have anything for me.  Since it seems Lois has been doing a bit of research lately with the solo offerings of numerous ocean and river cruiselines, and has done sufficient cruises on Silversea to know my preferences, I was hoping she might have some recommendations for me for lines with low single supplements.  Naturally, I value the recommendations of others as well; I only single out Lois since she seems to be in the same "boat" (har har) as far as cruise preferences!

Thanks!

6 hours ago, pf778c said:

doesn't have anything for me. 

What is it you're looking for?

Crystal has several Caribbean cruises of that duration in November,  as well as a 12 day transatlantic.  I've done 5 or 6 solo cruises with Crystal, and I love them; also, their standard solo supplement on window cabins is just 30%

Hi, I am guessing you were asking me....I must have missed your post.   I am going on a River Cruise in October that has no single supplement.  Most of the river cruise lines offer cabins without a SS (albeit a small selection of them). I am sailing on Uniworld in October. They get very good reviews and I know a

a few folks from CC who have sailed with them and they give them very high marks.  I sailed with AMA

back in April 2016 and loved them so I would recommend them from my experience.

I appreciate you asking me but to be honest, I don't know your preferences......have I helped you previously? I don't recall your screen name, that is why I ask.

Thank you all for your replies.  I'll look into Crystal a bit deeper (I didn't see any information regarding single supplements when I looked, but if it's a straight 130%, that may explain why), and some of the European river cruise lines.  Basically, I have time available in November and was thinking of a cruise, but Silversea is my "go to" line and currently isn't offering anything attractive with an affordable single supplement at the moment.  I singled you out Lois, because although I'm not terribly active as a poster, I believe we've exchanged a word of two over the past year or so and I know from past postings here and on the SS board, you've done a few solo cruises on Silversea recently as well as on some other lines and seem to lean towards Silversea as a favorite at the end of the day, so thought your preferences might most closely reflect my own.  The only other line I've tried is Seabourn, so just looking for advice on where I might find the most Silversea-ish cruise with an affordable supplement if I can't sail Silversea!

Thanks!

Edited by pf778c

Good morning, from what I have read, if you sailed Silversea, then Crystal and Seabourn are in the same genre...small ships, excellent food and service, less passengers, overall higher end experience.

Glad I could help (if I did):classic_smile:

1 hour ago, pf778c said:

(I didn't see any information regarding single supplements when I looked, but if it's a straight 130%, that may explain why)

Yes, it's not on the website, and it does vary for a very few cruises - I think it's higher for their world cruise and when they do something very special like the Northwest Passage voyage.  It also varies by cabin class - it's 30% for window cabins, and then gets larger as you go up in class to balconies and suites. 

On 6/7/2019 at 1:58 PM, pf778c said:

I'm trying to come up with a weekish (7-10 days) long solo cruise for this November, but my go-to, Silversea, doesn't have anything for me.  Since it seems Lois has been doing a bit of research lately with the solo offerings of numerous ocean and river cruiselines, and has done sufficient cruises on Silversea to know my preferences, I was hoping she might have some recommendations for me for lines with low single supplements.  Naturally, I value the recommendations of others as well; I only single out Lois since she seems to be in the same "boat" (har har) as far as cruise preferences!

Thanks!

Did you check these 2 SS ones? I'm on Nov 11-22 Whisper with a 25% supplement and air included.  I was on on Nov 10 Wind with at 25% supplement but I switched.  I'm not seeing those 2 on the solo specials page but perhaps there are a few cabins at the special price left?  There is the Montreal to Charleston still left on the specials page.

I learned the hard way that they can pull a special quickly.  Jump if you want something.

Have been reading the Cruise Plum website and Ponant seems to offer a lot of solo specials.  Small ships, like SS.

Missy

Thanks Missy!  I'll check those out and check in with travel agents as well to see if they've got any insider information.  Great tip about Ponant; I never even thought of them!

Bechi

• 1 month later...

Hi pf778c,

I'm a truly committed SS sailor but here's my experience.

I was booked solo on the Shadow TA 21st Nov at a very good price but SS cancelled it on me for the extended dry dock - I was annoyed but also a little relieved as I knew the cruise was supposed to be the first one after the original planned dry dock.

I had already bought a plane ticket across the pond and wanted to be in London for a while anyway (SS would have compensated me in some way if I'd had to cancel that ticket but I didn't ask by how much), but I wanted a cruise, dammit!, so I looked all around for something with a low solo supplement, found nothing I liked on the right dates on SS, and settled on a 7 day Crystal Symphony RT out of Miami - there really wasn't anything else acceptable. (I'm returning London to Miami on a mileage award plane ticket).

I'm not wild about a 7 day - I normally wouldn't do such a short cruise - but I'd been wanting to check out Crystal for a long time as they appear to be the only line vaguely comparable to SS that offers a low solo supplement (I know of Ponant but don't fancy them, can't remember why), so it seemed a good way to start.

Over the years I've looked at Seabourn, Regent, Windstar,  etc. etc. but their prices for solos are heart stopping. I've also looked at river cruises although they don't really appeal to me, but they sure ain't cheap either for a solo.

Unfortunately, you may be a bit late now to find a good deal until the 'last minute' deals come out (I booked Crystal back in Feb), but it's always worth looking. There just aren't many places where you're likely to find what you want - sorry!

PS Don't waste your time on Viking, they don't even know what the words 'solo supplement' mean, it's a straight 100% supplement for everything.

Edited by jollyjones

Hi Jolly, hope you are well:classic_smile:....just to make you aware, there are several other River Cruise lines that offer cabins with -0- single supplement. I have a cruise booked with UNIWORLD in October and am very happy with the price:classic_biggrin:.  Much lower than either one of my SS cruises.  It is only 8 nights but that works well for me.  Just wanted to let you know.....Viking does not appeal to me. I have taken one on AMA Waterways (wonderful too:classic_biggrin:) and that cabin had no supplement either.  I am very much looking forward to trying Uniworld!

Hi Lois,

Yes, thanks for the info, interested that it's cheaper than SS - Uniworld is on my radar should I ever decide to try a river cruise - they seem to have the best open seating dining, I like the option to dine alone most nights if I want. I'm just not sure about river cruising - I'm a total sea day fan, I love sitting on deck doing nothing as the waves go by. Not sure I'd want to be in a place every day, I usually avoid port intensive cruises. But never say never ...

10 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Hi Lois,

Yes, thanks for the info, interested that it's cheaper than SS - Uniworld is on my radar should I ever decide to try a river cruise - they seem to have the best open seating dining, I like the option to dine alone most nights if I want. I'm just not sure about river cruising - I'm a total sea day fan, I love sitting on deck doing nothing as the waves go by. Not sure I'd want to be in a place every day, I usually avoid port intensive cruises. But never say never ...

Oh...….then a River Cruise would probably not be in your wheelhouse.  River cruises are best for when you want to see places and be right in the middle of the town, port, etc.