Cruise Critic Community

The last few cruises we’ve had drink packages, but decided not to with this cruise.  We may have a cocktail before dinner, and maybe 2 glasses of wine each with dinner.  I’ve seen wine packages being offered.   Is there any advantage to preorder this?   We have anytime dining,  so chances are we will not be with the same waiter every night.  Is it just easier to order a bottle at the table every night, or is there a savings in this?

Posted (edited)

Yes depending on the bottle there are savings of 20-30% over buying individual bottles. I bought a 4 bottle Sommelier Suite Cellar #2 package and there were several reds in the list that we like and comparing them per bottle in the package vs the price individually we are saving what I said above. One of the reds in our package was a Meiomi  Pinot Noir which we drink all the time at home. Even in anytime dining if you do drink the whole bottle the servers will save it with your name on  it for the next night, or you can take the bottle with you to drink in other venues on the ship. My suggestion is to look at the wines typically offered in the packages and then compare the per bottle price to the price of the wine by its self. Our package was $171 which includes the 15% gratuities, or $42.75 per bottle. If I remember right the bottle of Meiomi was around $50 plus a 15% gratuity of ordered individually.

Edited by terrydtx

There is not any advantage in pre-ordering wine packages; there can be a disadvantage. Sometimes the wines listed in a package are not al available, and you might not be able to get exactly what you want. If you wait until you are on board to order (price is the same) you can be sure what you want is in stock before you put your money up.

One of the thing about anytime dining is that you just might find and table where the servers are wonderful! We have had that a couple of times. We then request that area where those servers work. Most of the time it is easy; sometimes, the guy at the podium gets uppity, but it works out ultimately.

If your cruise is of 10 days or longer, then the wine steward will bend over backwards to get to know you and your preferences. THEN, it makes sense to order a package. Not before. Once you get on the ship, you can determine your best course.

Jim

18 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

One of the thing about anytime dining is that you just might find and table where the servers are wonderful! We have had that a couple of times. We then request that area where those servers work. Most of the time it is easy; sometimes, the guy at the podium gets uppity, but it works out ultimately.

If your cruise is of 10 days or longer, then the wine steward will bend over backwards to get to know you and your preferences. THEN, it makes sense to order a package. Not before. Once you get on the ship, you can determine your best course.

Jim

Exactly.  We've had the same experience.  Usually they try to bend over backwards when they know you like a certain serving team.  On our recent cruise there was only 1 night we weren't in our preferred wine steward's area -- and even then he stopped by our table to check on us and the 2 wine packages we'd ordered.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Does anyone have a picture of the wine package(s) offered on Princess?

Perhaps you should ask this on the Princess board - why would anyone here have that?  

Sue/WDW1972

11 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

Perhaps you should ask this on the Princess board - why would anyone here have that?  

Sue/WDW1972

Sue, thank you for your VERY KIND reply.

Since I had searched the forums for "Princess Wine Packages" and this thread popped up, I asked my question not noticing it was on Holland America instead of Princess.  

A thousand pardons!

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Since I had searched the forums for "Princess Wine Packages" and this thread popped up, I asked my question not noticing it was on Holland America instead of Princess.  

A thousand pardons!

I apologize for the member in this board for being so rude, it was uncalled for. If it was my question I would start a thread on the Princess Board and I bet one of their members might be able to get the information. I am not familiar with the Princess web site (hopefully it is better than HAL's) but there should be a sample wine menu for their wine packages. Good luck!

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

A thousand pardons!

I also apologize for the rude response.  That was very unkind.

I find that the Search function works better if I check off the specific forum and all search terms.  On my iPad it won’t appear as if it has worked and my cursor just disappears, but if you click on the search box, choose your options and then start typing (although it doesn’t appear as if your cursor is there) it will return better results.  You will need to be on the board you want the search to look in for it to work, though.  (For example, go to the Princess board if you’re searching for something on Princess, then do the search.)

I have attached a screenshot.  Hope this helps.

1A854C6C-9EFC-4092-8ECC-1D00D0DED686.jpeg

Terrydtx and Miss G,

Thank you both so much for your great responses to me.  I know we will always have a problem with uncivil people, but both of you show me the majority of us can reply cordially.   I appreciate it so much.

I took your advice, both of you, and found the place where I can restrict my searches to the Forum I am on at that time.  I eventually came across a post on page 6 of the Princess Forum that discussed more recent wine package changes.  We haven't cruised Princess as often lately as we used to since we find Holland America itineraries more interesting.  But this upcoming cruise is a family cruise, 12 of us, to celebrate mine and DH's 50th wedding anniversary so we chose a Med cruise on Princess.  Really looking forward to this special event!☺️

Wow.  Your 50th anniversary!  Congratulations!  A med cruise for 12 loved ones sounds amazing.  Have a wonderful time!

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

But this upcoming cruise is a family cruise, 12 of us, to celebrate mine and DH's 50th wedding anniversary so we chose a Med cruise on Princess.  Really looking forward to this special event!☺️

Wow 50th, that is amazing I now your whole family will enjoy the cruise. My Wife an I have our 50th anniversary in 2021 and we are looking at either a HAL cruise around Japan or a Celebrity Barcelona to Lisbon cruise if they both do a similar itinerary in 2021 as they are in 2020. Next year we are doing a Viking Ocean Venice to Athens cruise for my 70th birthday.

Thanks for all the wine replies, we are Neomi drinkers too!  

And thanks for the the search engine tips.  I usually only go on cruise critic while planning and maybe the first week after a cruise, and the whole format seems to have changed a bit since my last cruise.   I’ve been having trouble with searching.  

2 minutes ago, torybruno said:

Thanks for all the wine replies, we are Neomi drinkers too!  

And thanks for the the search engine tips.  I usually only go on cruise critic while planning and maybe the first week after a cruise, and the whole format seems to have changed a bit since my last cruise.   I’ve been having trouble with searching.  

Yeah, it’s not a pretty workaround but at least it works.  It can be terrible trying to find things on this board.  Hopefully they’ll get to a point where it’s much easier.

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Wow.  Your 50th anniversary!  Congratulations!  A med cruise for 12 loved ones sounds amazing.  Have a wonderful time!

You must understand I was a child bride!!  So young!

And yes we will have a fabulous time.  My grandchildren are very excited to see some of Europe.  And the kids too, of course.

I would like to get back to wine.  My DH and I will be on a cruise a week from tomorrow.  We are interested in one of the Sommelier Suite Cellar wine packages.  We are three star Mariners and understand that we can get a 25% discount for our Mariner status.  Can someone clarify that for me.  Thanks....

1 hour ago, JudithLynne said:

I would like to get back to wine.  My DH and I will be on a cruise a week from tomorrow.  We are interested in one of the Sommelier Suite Cellar wine packages.  We are three star Mariners and understand that we can get a 25% discount for our Mariner status.  Can someone clarify that for me.  Thanks....

Your wine steward will run your room card and your receipt will reflect the discount.  If you aren’t given a receipt it will appear as a loyalty discount on your account.  If you don’t see it/receive it then you will want to speak with Guest Services.  I’ve never had a problem receiving it automatically, though, because it’s tied to your account.  Have a great cruise!

If you pre-order a wine package does the Mariner Discount show up as OBC once you're onboard (like it does with Specialty Dining reservations)?

It's supposed to, but I've never pre-ordered.  For me, it's just as easy to order from any beverage steward roaming through the Lido (or dining room) during lunch on embarkation day, and then I can specify which bottle I want and where to have it on that evening.  The price charged is net of the discount, so no having to look for the discount to appear.

Sue/WDW1972

Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2019 at 3:09 PM, StLouisCruisers said:

You must understand I was a child bride!!  So young!

If your avatar thumbnail is you, you must have been in diapers!

Edited by crystalspin

Order your wine package once on board, you just never know if the wine you want ahead of time will really be onboard the ship.  We usually order at lunch, embarkation day.  We decide based upon the wines offered for that package and the number of days we are cruising.  We are white wine drinkers and somewhat picky about we want.  Our past cruise we found a good white we liked on one of the packages and went with that.  Our wine steward must have thought we were boring because that was what we picked each time.  And.......We were lucky enough to find our favorite white wine at Target in Seattle and purchased 6 bottles to carry on.  We kept two for the room (didn't have to pay corkage on those either) and took the other four to the Dining Room.  Worked out beautifully for us.