Baggage tags?

Mudhen

We've just received our documents from Windstar....8 pages worth!

But nary a baggage tag. Is that normal? 

I suppose I could make some of our own, but that seems a little

second rate to me....Does anyone have any experience on this?

No tags. When you check in they have a stack. You write your name and cabin number on them and you’re good to go. No biggie - it take 20 seconds. If you have a WS hotel booked a person usually meets you at the hotel and you do it then. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wolverineinOH said:

I’ve never received baggage tags. When you get to the pier, they tag your bags at check in. No need to make your own!  Check in and boarding is easy peasy!

We got them back in the dark ages, along with a little zippered document pouch but haven’t seen either in donkey years. And indeed the whole process is easy. Unless you hit at a busy time you’ll be all checked in and munching down on lunch in 15 minutes, if that. By the time you’re done your bags will be in the cabin and you’ll have time to go back onshore to explore if you are interested. This isn’t a big ship horror story, all very organized and easy. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mudhen said:

We've just received our documents from Windstar....8 pages worth!

But nary a baggage tag. Is that normal? 

I suppose I could make some of our own, but that seems a little

second rate to me....Does anyone have any experience on this?

This can seem "second rate", but I would attribute that to being conditioned to only be impressed with more "marketing materials" all...the...time.  Mudhen, here is my preferred perspective which I posted, in a similar context, which i post on another thread a few months ago.

"We have over-conditioned ourselves to need a ton of paper to feel like all is well.  If you got a chance to meet the Queen of England; which would make you feel more honored?

1.  Welcome Mr & Mrs Jones, the Queen is expecting you.

2.  Hello do you have your "papers"?  We must see your papers before you can meet the Queen.

Number 1 makes me feel more special (in fact very special).  And I do not understand why so many people want to (or expect they must) carry a whole folder of papers or no one will welcome them aboard Windstar."

14 minutes ago, Del Rio said:

This can seem "second rate", but I would attribute that to being conditioned to only be impressed with more "marketing materials" all...the...time.  Mudhen, here is my preferred perspective which I posted, in a similar context, which i post on another thread a few months ago.

"We have over-conditioned ourselves to need a ton of paper to feel like all is well.  If you got a chance to meet the Queen of England; which would make you feel more honored?

1.  Welcome Mr & Mrs Jones, the Queen is expecting you.

2.  Hello do you have your "papers"?  We must see your papers before you can meet the Queen.

Number 1 makes me feel more special (in fact very special).  And I do not understand why so many people want to (or expect they must) carry a whole folder of papers or no one will welcome them aboard Windstar."

The people who don’t know are likely first time WS pax, and are used to needed something akin to a boarding pass for similar things. I get it. The few who post here are reassured so we’ve done some good. It would probably help if the pre cruise stuff said “you’ll be welcome upon boarding and don’t need baggage tags or a boarding pass, just show up and our welcoming crew will take care of you.”

If you want paperwork you’ll be thrilled on board. If we don’t keep after it every day the cabin begins to look like a snow drift!!

27 minutes ago, milepig said:

The people who don’t know are likely first time WS pax, and are used to needed something akin to a boarding pass for similar things. I get it. The few who post here are reassured so we’ve done some good. It would probably help if the pre cruise stuff said “you’ll be welcome upon boarding and don’t need baggage tags or a boarding pass, just show up and our welcoming crew will take care of you.”

If you want paperwork you’ll be thrilled on board. If we don’t keep after it every day the cabin begins to look like a snow drift!!

Believe me, I don't need paperwork! It was just that there was no indication at all, in all those 8 pages of what happens to baggage! It's been years since my last Windstar cruise so I'm sure much has changed. Looking forward to lots of fun in Iceland!

Thanks again, all who responded!

Exactly. WS is doing better but it still needs work. One example. They don’t tell you how to find out what dock they’ll be using. For Iceland, in my experience they use the old port that you can talk to from the city center in 5 minutes. Did they tell us that! Nope. I had to suss it out myself. 

Edited by milepig

I actually got that! It was on the first page of the Windstar print out that has our itinerary on it. It was listed as "the port of embarkation". According to that we leave from the "Midbakki port. I haven't looked that up yet, but I'm guessing it might be the one downtown?

51 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I actually got that! It was on the first page of the Windstar print out that has our itinerary on it. It was listed as "the port of embarkation". According to that we leave from the "Midbakki port. I haven't looked that up yet, but I'm guessing it might be the one downtown?

It is. The berth is parallel to Geirsgata (a Main Street) and literally right there. You’ll see the side of the ship, walk across the street and you’re there.