Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

Going on Symphony in June, and I much prefer to carry my luggage on. This will be my first time leaving from the Miami port and from the videos I’ve seen there’s only an escalator? 

Does anyone know if there are elevators at the Miami port? If not, did you or anyone you know have trouble carrying your luggage up the escalators? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are elevators but I don't know about carrying your own luggage.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

There are elevators but I don't know about carrying your own luggage.

 

Thanks! You don’t know as in you don’t think it’s a good idea or you’ve never done it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never done it... But it certainly seems like a lot of unnecessary work... However, I'm sure you have your reasons

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Has to be able to fit through airport-type security scanners. Not sure if you would be allowed to take on escalators. Anyone with larger or more than one carry on is usually directed to use elevators, along with wheelchair passengers - keeps things moving and safety. 

Edited by Grandma Dazzles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You must have one hand free to use the escalator.  If not, they will direct you to the elevator.  If you get to the port before about 2 you will be hauling your suitcases around everywhere, including in some very crowded elevators on the ship.  On three day cruises it is common for folks not to check their luggage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!

 

I plan to get to the port about 1, and just stay put until the rooms open. I’m always nervous about being that 1 in whatever that gets their luggage lost. I’d just prefer to have my luggage with me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been carrying on for the last decade of cruises.  Using the escalator has never been a problem.  

 

Also, the scanners are actually a little bigger than the ones at the airport.  So if you do carry on for the flight (like we do), taking them on and off the ship is really easy.

 

We also get to the ship around 1pm, so that we can go almost directly to our cabin, unpack and get on with the vacation.

 

You will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

We've been carrying on for the last decade of cruises.  Using the escalator has never been a problem.  

 

Also, the scanners are actually a little bigger than the ones at the airport.  So if you do carry on for the flight (like we do), taking them on and off the ship is really easy.

 

We also get to the ship around 1pm, so that we can go almost directly to our cabin, unpack and get on with the vacation.

 

You will be fine.

 

Thank you! That really put me to ease. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SCruiseFam said:

Thanks everyone!

 

I plan to get to the port about 1, and just stay put until the rooms open. I’m always nervous about being that 1 in whatever that gets their luggage lost. I’d just prefer to have my luggage with me. 

I just got off the symphony and I too was afraid my luggage would get lost but everything was very smooth at the miami terminal we even had our luggage at exactly 1o clock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

There are elevators but I don't know about carrying your own luggage.

 

That is no problem at all! 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LeeW said:

You must have one hand free to use the escalator.  If not, they will direct you to the elevator.  If you get to the port before about 2 you will be hauling your suitcases around everywhere, including in some very crowded elevators on the ship.  On three day cruises it is common for folks not to check their luggage.

Since when is it 2?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Since when is it 2?

 

It was 2 a couple of weeks ago on Navigator but they were under a coast guard inspection. It didn't delay boarding but delayed access to cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody going out of the port of Miami used a 28” size luggage? Or am I cutting it too close?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 8:05 AM, Big_G said:

 

It was 2 a couple of weeks ago on Navigator but they were under a coast guard inspection. It didn't delay boarding but delayed access to cabins.

but it is rarely 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

but it is rarely 2

We have never experienced having our room ready past 1:00 either, however, in the last year it happened to us twice.  Both times it was explained that it was because of Coast Guard inspections.  We were allowed to board but our rooms were ready after 2:15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SCruiseFam said:

Anybody going out of the port of Miami used a 28” size luggage? Or am I cutting it too close?

The long-side measurement is immaterial, but longer suitcases are usually wider and perhaps taller laid on their flat side. Carnival offers the following (the scanners themselves are owned by the Port Authority, but this is one cruiseline's advice): "16 inches in height or 24 inches in width".

 

I found an old thread where a CC'er said they had successfully carried on a hard-shell case that was 24" wide and 18" tall at P.Canaveral, P.Everglades, and Tampa -- "but it was a tight fit!"

 

So measure the OTHER dimensions of your case and decide from there.

Edited by crystalspin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SCruiseFam said:

Anybody going out of the port of Miami used a 28” size luggage? Or am I cutting it too close?

Anything below 32" will be fine!👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cruisinfanatic said:

but it is rarely 2

 

That was probably the only time I can remember but it does and/or could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...