Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Bwana Tom

Paying Gratuities with OBC

Recommended Posts

I would like to utilize my OBC for payment of my gratuities. Can I do this before the cruise, or must I want until I'm on board? If I go through the Princess website it appears I can only charge it to my credit card or Paypal. I am assuming that means if I wait until we board those charges will automatically be charged on a daily basis and be taken out of my OBC as long as I have enough credit to cover it. Do I have that right? I have plenty OBC cover it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bwana Tom said:

I would like to utilize my OBC for payment of my gratuities. Can I do this before the cruise, or must I want until I'm on board? If I go through the Princess website it appears I can only charge it to my credit card or Paypal. I am assuming that means if I wait until we board those charges will automatically be charged on a daily basis and be taken out of my OBC as long as I have enough credit to cover it. Do I have that right? I have plenty OBC cover it now. 

You are correct.  They will automatically be deducted from your OBC, along with any other on board charges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, msmoger said:

You are correct.  They will automatically be deducted from your OBC, along with any other on board charges.

Nonrefundable first then refundable IF / when nonrefundable run out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OBC is a simple credit to your onboard account from which any type of purchase is debited including as already posted tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We alway use up our OBC ASAP & then let them bill our credit card for the gratuites.

Whatever works for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bwana Tom said:

I would like to utilize my OBC for payment of my gratuities. Can I do this before the cruise, or must I want until I'm on board? If I go through the Princess website it appears I can only charge it to my credit card or Paypal. I am assuming that means if I wait until we board those charges will automatically be charged on a daily basis and be taken out of my OBC as long as I have enough credit to cover it. Do I have that right? I have plenty OBC cover it now. 

Auto gratuities as well as all other on board charges are posted to your account as they occur, and they net against any credit balance (OBC). It happens automatically, nothing you have to do or allocate once on board. Once OBC is used up your account then begins to have a positive balance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, skynight said:

Auto gratuities as well as all other on board charges are posted to your account as they occur, and they net against any credit balance (OBC). It happens automatically, nothing you have to do or allocate once on board. Once OBC is used up your account then begins to have a positive balance.

If you adjust your gratuity up or down the entire amount is done at once not daily or as they occur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We alway use up our OBC ASAP & then let them bill our credit card for the gratuites.

Whatever works for you.

How do you do that? Do you buy lots of tours and beverage packages on boarding day? By bill your credit card assume you mean that your final on board balance is charged to your credit card, and not specifically the gratuities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

If you adjust your gratuity up or down the entire amount is done at once not daily or as they occur.

Inquiring minds want to know?

Why would they adjust their gratuity amount down?

And what would that have to do with paying for them with OBC?

It still gets charged the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, skynight said:

How do you do that? Do you buy lots of tours and beverage packages on boarding day? By bill your credit card assume you mean that your final on board balance is charged to your credit card, and not specifically the gratuities.

It's easy to spend all of your OBC, especially if you don't have a lot. A specialty dinner (or 2), a couple of excursions, some "valuable" items from one of the shops, some photos, a couple of trips to the casino, wine, booze, coffee package, woo hoo (!!).

Once you've used up the OBC, the account automatically switches to charging your credit card.

If you should happen to have left over refundable OBC, you'll receive a check in a couple of weeks. If it's less than $25, you can request cash at the Passenger Services desk.

 

BTW: you can book excursions with OBC before you board, IF the OBC shows in your Personalizer. It's the ONLY thing you can pre-pay with OBC.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

 

 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

How do you do that? Do you buy lots of tours and beverage packages on boarding day? By bill your credit card assume you mean that your final on board balance is charged to your credit card, and not specifically the gratuities.

We haven't bought a tour in years. Occasionally a beverage package or some drinks & a few things from the shops now & then.

Occasionally some liquor if their prices are better than St. Thomas. 

We spend all our money in the Casino in the first day or so and let Princess bill our credit card for gratuities in the final statement. 

Either way the OBC is used up except I get the double Princess  points for the gratuities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...