Jump to content

Alaska Cruise Muster Drill timing with Dinner


Recommended Posts

We have a late traditional  dining time at 7.15pm on embarkation day. The muster drill usually happens 30-60 minutes prior to sail away  (our case 8.30PM). How does Princess usually handle the later seated dinner in conjunction with the muster drill? Do you begin dinner, then leave and come back? Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, skynight said:

When the ship sails later in the evening on boarding day, traditional dining is normally changed to open seating. 

 

Agreed. Dinner that evening will almost certainly be "anytime dining" for everybody.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is in Whittier - they have everyone eat either before or after Muster. The dining room is cleared for Muster for all individuals, even those on B2B.

 

I have had open dining and I have also had them hand me a dining time when I embarked.

Edited by Coral
Link to post
Share on other sites

For embarkation day at Whittier:

 

MDRs open approx 5:15. They will seat  you whether you have early, late or ATD.

Doors close when they are full 15-30 minutes later.

Muster Drill will be 7:30 or 7:45.

MDRs will reopen as soon as it concludes. Anyone who did not have dinner earlier will be seated. 

 

They don't quite call it "open seating/ATD for all" but do it this way to accommodate the passengers on pre-cruise land tours who will be just reaching the ship at 7:00-7:30.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year when we embarked on the Coral in Whittier (around 4:00) we were given a card with a dining time (early seating) on it for that night only. I assume those boarding later were assigned the late seating, which was after the Muster Drill. We had Anytime dining the rest of the cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cruise crazy64 said:

I am sailing on the Island Princess on June 26th with an 8:30 sail-away. Do you know if the Horizon Court is open on embarkation day? 

The HC and the various Lido Deck casual dining options will be open from embarkation until the muster drill.

The HC will reopen afterwards. The hamburger grill, pizza and ice cream stands will not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I believe they made Whittier night Anytime dining for everyone due to the Muster Drill because everything shuts down for Muster. At least one of the dining rooms is a Muster station.

 

Not quite - you will be assigned a dining time based on when you arrive. Early arrivals eat before the muster drill; later arrivals eat after the drill. But seating in the dining rooms is open (no assigned tables). So the first time TD diners eat at their assigned table and time is the second night which is a formal night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

I believe they made Whittier night Anytime dining for everyone due to the Muster Drill because everything shuts down for Muster. At least one of the dining rooms is a Muster station.

All muster stations are on Deck 7 as that is where you would board the lifeboats should that ever become necessary. Have never been in a dining room for muster on any Princess cruise.

 

41 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

 

Not quite - you will be assigned a dining time based on when you arrive. Early arrivals eat before the muster drill; later arrivals eat after the drill. But seating in the dining rooms is open (no assigned tables). So the first time TD diners eat at their assigned table and time is the second night which is a formal night.

This was not done when I boarded Golden Princess in Whittier last year. I was one of the very first to board but did not go to dinner until after muster and no one questioned me. From the reports I have read this may only be done on Coral and Island Princess as those ships have only two MDR rather than the three on the various Grand-class iterations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fishywood said:

All muster stations are on Deck 7 as that is where you would board the lifeboats should that ever become necessary. Have never been in a dining room for muster on any Princess cruise.

 

This was not done when I boarded Golden Princess in Whittier last year. I was one of the very first to board but did not go to dinner until after muster and no one questioned me. From the reports I have read this may only be done on Coral and Island Princess as those ships have only two MDR rather than the three on the various Grand-class iterations.

I've seen deck 6 muster stations on Regal (and presumably the other Royal-class ships). I think we had the deck 6 mid dining room as our muster station on one of our Regal cruises.

 

My experience with Whittier boarding was on Coral so you may be right about that procedure being just on Coral and Island. We were handed tickets with our dining time as we boarded.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have done several sailings out of Whittier and had them handle it multiple ways. Regardless, you must eat before muster or after. The dining room will be open before or after - if it is anytime or you are handed a time.

 

The dining room is closed during muster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/8/2019 at 9:29 AM, mdg4242 said:

We have a late traditional  dining time at 7.15pm on embarkation day. The muster drill usually happens 30-60 minutes prior to sail away  (our case 8.30PM). How does Princess usually handle the later seated dinner in conjunction with the muster drill? Do you begin dinner, then leave and come back? Thanks

No.  You have Mustard first.   

Edited by Kingofcool1947
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just off the Coral. Boarded in Whittier. We were handed a dining time ticket when we boarded. Since we didn't get onboard til nearly 7:00 we were scheduled to dine after muster. Muster was scheduled for 7:30 but didn't start until about 7:45. We had club class dining so as soon as muster was over we went to club class door and were seated immediately. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How long is the average muster drill?   When I went last time, it was 1 hr long!   They started/stopped the recording multiple times, the live crew person kept getting angry every 10-15 mins telling us not to speak to each other, not to read the maps/tour material, just pay attention to him - fine, but he wasn't saying anything, nor demonstrating anything, nor was there a recorded message!    

 

I understand the drill is important, but I think that expecting that many people to focus for more than 20 mins is a bit much (particularly when most of the time, there was nothing to listen to, read or watch)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think ours last month was a bit over a half an hour with getting everyone to the muster station and accounted for.  The thing they seemed to stress the most strongly was phones and other electronic devices must be turned off during the drill or be confiscated.  The only talking or reading going on was before the drill started that I could see.  The presenters were actually pretty good natured about the drill and even illicited a couple of laughs.

 

⚠️

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MitzyG said:

 

I understand the drill is important, but I think that expecting that many people to focus for more than 20 mins is a bit much (particularly when most of the time, there was nothing to listen to, read or watch)

Hopefully they still do Muster Drill to the theme of Love Boat - it is actually entertaining. 

 

I think 20 minutes is not a bit much when it comes about learning about safety. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So are the muster drills usually 1 hour?   

 

It's hard to keep a crowd focused when there's no safety demo, no safety audio recording and a guy saying "stop reading your tour material"!    If it was 20 mins of SAFETY, yes, I understand.   But the audio playing for literally 1 min, then stopping, then nothing, then maybe someone waves a life jacket, but doesn't show how to fasten it...then maybe the audio plays for 2 mins, then stops.   then nothing for 5 mins.   That's not a safety drill.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MitzyG said:

So are the muster drills usually 1 hour?   

 

It's hard to keep a crowd focused when there's no safety demo, no safety audio recording and a guy saying "stop reading your tour material"!    If it was 20 mins of SAFETY, yes, I understand.   But the audio playing for literally 1 min, then stopping, then nothing, then maybe someone waves a life jacket, but doesn't show how to fasten it...then maybe the audio plays for 2 mins, then stops.   then nothing for 5 mins.   That's not a safety drill.

I have never attended one that is an hour. Maybe 30 minutes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...