Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
TLCOhio

Cape Town: UK News Profile, Ideas, Tips

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent in the middle of last month, they had this headline: CAPE TOWN CITY GUIDE: WHERE TO EAT, DRINK, SHOP AND STAY”  with these story highlights: “Originally a replenishing point for ships en route between Europe and Asia, Cape Town is the city from which the nation of South Africa grew.  Most of its key attractions lie in the City Bowl and adjacent districts set scenically between the waterfront and Table Mountain. Summer (December to March) sees the city in full stride, but off-season (June to September) comes with the promise of watching whales and great white sharks.  Cape Town is also synonymous with the late, great Nelson Mandela, whose presidential inauguration took place here 25 years ago this month.”

The pictures and highlights from this media profile bring back nice memories.  More can be seen below on my live/blog from our visit there in early 2016.  Great city and area.   Here are a couple of their top insights: "Best view: Hit the V&A Waterfront to see Table Mountain looming above the city and docks.  Insider tip:  Head to colourful Bo-Kaap for koeksisters, daaltjies and other hard-to-pronounce street food."

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/48-hours-in/cape-town-things-to-do-south-africa-city-guide-best-hotels-restaurants-a8913716.html

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 45,725 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Here are two of the visuals used to illustrate this profile.  The second picture is from Boulders Beach that is home to hundreds of penguins and where we visited.  Fun sights there!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1159774078_ScreenShot2019-06-08at4_42_41PM.thumb.png.77948129ec745077f2d258ce725b4054.png

418195097_ScreenShot2019-06-08at4_43_01PM.thumb.png.e299d6833c356e55afd6643a252ccf39.png

South Africa is an amazing and varied country.   We did a safari from J'burg.  Then headed up to Victoria Falls and Zambia.  Flew back to Port Elizabeth, picked up a rental car, and spent ten days or so touring and driving down to Cape Town.  Wonderful hotels and B&B's.  

It was on the top of DW's bucket list.  No so for me.  But after doing this, it is back on my list, near the top.  Africa is amazing.

On 6/11/2019 at 6:31 PM, iancal said:

South Africa is an amazing and varied country.   We did a safari from J'burg.  Then headed up to Victoria Falls and Zambia.  Flew back to Port Elizabeth, picked up a rental car, and spent ten days or so touring and driving down to Cape Town.  Wonderful hotels and B&B's.  It was on the top of DW's bucket list.  No so for me.  But after doing this, it is back on my list, near the top.  Africa is amazing.

Appreciate this great background, comments and follow-up from iancal.  Yes, there is so much to see, do and enjoy in South Africa.  

From the Financial Times publication, they had this headline: “I wish I’d had more than one night in this Cape Town hotel” with these highlights about where the writer stayed in Cape Town: “a new boutique hotel in Cape Town where I was planning to spend my last night in the city. We finally worked out that the hotel entrance was positioned on a pedestrian-only stretch of St George’s Mall, a beautiful, tree-lined street in the city centre that was bustling with vendors selling everything from African bracelets to biltong.  Gorgeous George consists of two restored historic buildings – one Edwardian, one art deco, the latter offering soaring original brass doors (where help with the aforementioned cumbersome baggage was happily on hand) leading into an atmospheric, intimate lobby. I was instantly struck by the installation of 1,800 handpainted Delft-inspired tiles depicting a map of Cape Town.”

Full story at:

https://howtospendit.ft.com/travel/206542-i-wish-i-d-had-more-than-one-night-in-this-cape-town-hotel

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 47,178 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Posted (edited)

This is why, since retiring, we take cruises to augment our land trips instead of a focus on pre or post cruise travel.   Often they serve as a break from independent travel.  We could not imagine going all that way and only spending a day or two in Cape Town or not venturing out to see more of the country.   We want to do it now while we have the health and the inclination to travel.

Edited by iancal

On 6/13/2019 at 11:08 AM, iancal said:

This is why, since retiring, we take cruises to augment our land trips instead of a focus on pre or post cruise travel.   Often they serve as a break from independent travel.  We could not imagine going all that way and only spending a day or two in Cape Town or not venturing out to see more of the country.   We want to do it now while we have the health and the inclination to travel.

YES!!!  Very wise and insightful comments and observations from the highly-experienced iancal.  Agree as to how a cruise-only trip does not "do it" in many cases.  You need "MORE", especially in a country as varied and unique as South Africa.   

From the Orange County Register south of Los Angeles in this past week, they had this headline: “The many sides of Cape Town” on a very detailed profile with these highlights: “A New Year’s resolution I intended to keep was traveling to a new continent. Africa seemed daunting, but I gathered that South Africa — Cape Town in particular — was unlike the rest of the continent. As the plane descended on South Africa’s oldest city, my eyes gravitated toward a massive, distinctly flat-topped mountain in the distance. It was Table Mountain welcoming me to the Mother City..

Here is more: "Victoria & Alfred Waterfront was the prettiest working harbor I had ever seen. A pedestrian swing bridge, Ferris wheel, an abundance of restaurants and shops and the diversity of people had me feeling I could be anywhere in the world, but towering Table Mountain reminded me otherwise."

Many different options and potentials are outlined in this profile. Plus, a nice range of pictures to bring back wonderful memories from our visiting there. 

Full story at:

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/06/14/travel-the-many-sides-of-cape-town-south-africa/

For latest live/blog, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Below are just two of the 20+ pictures featured in the profile related to Cape Town and nearby.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)41063313_ScreenShot2019-06-23at12_35_38PM.thumb.png.e75302cc46a3c779e953d0ca7204d10f.png

1305285528_ScreenShot2019-06-23at12_35_07PM.thumb.png.2115256b2b332d267dd40295206cafc8.png

IF that penguin picture is taken where I think it is taken.....there are signs in the parking lot asking motorists to check under their cars for penguins before starting the engine or moving the car!

On 6/23/2019 at 1:11 PM, iancal said:

IF that penguin picture is taken where I think it is taken.....there are signs in the parking lot asking motorists to check under their cars for penguins before starting the engine or moving the car!

Appreciate this interesting follow-up about those super lovable penguins.  Loved seeing them live and in person at Boulder Beach south of Cape Town.   

From the Independent Online group of newspapers in South Africa,  they had this headline: “10 unique travel experiences you’ll only find in South Africa” with this story highlights: “South Africa is currently rated ninth among the biggest wine-producing countries in the world. With more than 560 wineries in the Cape, you couldn’t so much as throw a stone without hitting a wine farm in this award-winning region. With scenery as delicious as the wine, local and international visitors agree that this is one of South Africa’s most treasured attractions. The Constantia, Stellenbosch, Durbanville and Route 62 routes are the most popular. ”  

Full story at:

https://www.iol.co.za/travel/south-africa/10-unique-travel-experiences-youll-only-find-in-south-africa-27871193

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 247,658 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is one of the visuals for this profile that highlighted the wine options nearby to Cape Town.  Loved that part of South Africa.:

274597645_ScreenShot2019-06-30at4_21_50PM.thumb.png.356a564bd2395791afb88c008feaf435.png

Fortunately, the article doesn’t refer to the most beautiful Cape wine area - Franschhoek. We need to keep this gem a secret!

63E298BA-A991-40A7-99D2-F5FB34E5957D.jpeg.81bed5bec0c3130742ab2b7f826172e6.jpeg

4 hours ago, Omega1 said:

Fortunately, the article doesn’t refer to the most beautiful Cape wine area - Franschhoek. We need to keep this gem a secret!

YES, agree 100% that the Franschhoek area is totally wonderful!!   But, keeping it a SECRET???  Not sure that is possible!!  The "word" is out".  Sorry.  We visited both the La Motte winery and Grande Provence Estate in this Franschhoek region. .  Super enjoyed this area.  So scenic and dramatic!!   Plus, great and unique history.   Below are a few of my pictures as proof/evidence.  I had posted much on the different locations that we visited in 2016 on my live/blog that is connected below.  

From the London/UK Telegraph in 2015, they had this headline: “36 Hours in... Franschhoek” with these highlights: “About an hour’s drive from Cape Town - and less than half an hour from Stellenbosch, South Africa’s oldest settlement and centre of its wine production - lies the small town of Franschhoek, which has the unlikely distinction of being one of the world’s gastronomic capitals. There’s an unreality about this tiny place (population: 20,000), the white-washed, gabled Cape Dutch homesteads made immaculate by the clarity of light. However, despite the Dutch influence, it’s the French Huguenots we have to thank for this special heritage (Franschhoek means 'French Corner' in Dutch). Fleeing persecution under Louis XIV and invited to the Cape by Dutch Protestants, the Huguenots brought their knowledge of wine-making - and restaurants have sprung up to make the most of this fine resource.”

Am I in big trouble for sharing too much information and background?

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/franschhoek/articles/36-hours-in-franschhoek/

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 46,136 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Here are some of my visuals from this super scenic area, including the Huguenot Monument to religious freedom, built in the 1940s.  Below also are a few others as examples for the character and sights possible in this wonderful region of South Africa.:

229458124_PetraBuffet1642.jpg.995b569ebd9d5485666086cda9af9123.jpg

1280970875_PetraBuffet1643.jpg.6feec820964d9c0fbd4cb007b9327326.jpg

844642242_PetraBuffet1644.jpg.325fc3b52320ac41b9649d0c4c7ec16d.jpg

1133653453_PetraBuffet1645.jpg.e7097139476a4472cd8239e3bf109093.jpg

Thanks Terry - I was only teasing about keeping Franschhoek a secret! We know La Motte and Grande Provence very well. We had a wonderful lunch at Pierneef (La Motte) when we were last there in January and the new cheetah outreach centre at Grande Provence is excellent.

Sadly, we won’t be returning to Franschhoek until January 2021 as we have too many other things planned, but it would be be nice to combine our next visit with a trip to Namibia - something we have been meaning to do for quite a time.

37 minutes ago, Omega1 said:

Thanks Terry - I was only teasing about keeping Franschhoek a secret! We know La Motte and Grande Provence very well. We had a wonderful lunch at Pierneef (La Motte) when we were last there in January and the new cheetah outreach centre at Grande Provence is excellent.  Sadly, we won’t be returning to Franschhoek until January 2021 as we have too many other things planned, but it would be be nice to combine our next visit with a trip to Namibia - something we have been meaning to do for quite a time.

Great to know you were "ONLY TEASING" and that I not in big trouble for failing on "keeping Franschhoek a secret! ".  Nice to not be in a "dog house" for punishment.  

Yes, we would love to go back to South Africa.  Also, we would like to see and experience Namibia.  As I understand from a good friend, Namibia is not as full of animals as we found in Botswana, but has its unique aspects.  Yes, we are busy for future travel options.  In mid-July we will be, for our first time, seeing Jasper/Banff, doing the Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, having three days in Vancouver, then sailing up to Alaska, doing a post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  After that on our priority list is a first-time trip for exploring in early 2020 various South Pacific islands, including Fiji, Samoa, Bora Bora, etc.   Would commence this 18-day cruise in mid February from Auckland.  We plan to get there a week ahead in order to explore more of New Zealand's North Island and be escaping from the Midwest winter cold.

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 222,363 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Great trip enjoyed most of those spots, have fun.