Infant paperwork after adoption?

Hi! We’ve just adopted our 2nd child- a baby boy. He was born May 25th 2019. Since he was born in Texas, we won’t be able to finalize the adoption until 6 months after birth- Nov 25th at the earliest.  We are hoping to go on a cruise over Xmas, but I am worried we won’t have a birth certificate by that point- we can’t get it issued until after finalization. 

Has anybody been in a situation like this before? Any suggestions? Alternative paperwork? Thanks!

Looks like a birth certificate is the only acceptable form of ID.

You should call Royal and if they do tell you something different get it in writing.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notorized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding. 

To my knowledge (we have adopted four children) in the state of Tennessee, your child is not considered "adopted" yet. He is still a ward of the state, or in your case, the district. Therefore you would need a judge's order to take him out of state not alone the country. You should have custody papers already in hand. That and the judges order should be sufficient. Your case worker should be able to help you.

Once the adoption is finalized, the "certified" adoption papers should be sufficient.

Edited by Smokey Mountain Tim
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Smokey Mountain Tim said:

Once the adoption is finalized, the "certified" adoption papers should be sufficient.

At that point they will be issued a birth certificate showing that they are the parents.  Much easier, then, to uses that instead of a whole packet of papers.

12 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

At that point they will be issued a birth certificate showing that they are the parents.  Much easier, then, to uses that instead of a whole packet of papers.

But if you read the OP's post it says  "but I am worried we won’t have a birth certificate by that point"

I've not been in a situation like this, but it sounds like this unique set of adoption circumstances and uncertainty of having the required citizenship documentation (BC), may put a damper on your plans for international travel on a cruise ship this December..

We are in the same situation. Our adoption is scheduled to be final by August our cruise is end of Sept. the new birth certificate takes 2-6 months. We have been told, the original birth certificate, and finalized adoption paperwork showing the new name should be all you need.

You will meet the requirement of a Birth certificate with the original. 

I can  post again when we get back if anything back fires. 

Royal wasn’t helpful, 

On 6/10/2019 at 8:16 PM, neuro said:

We are in the same situation. Our adoption is scheduled to be final by August our cruise is end of Sept. the new birth certificate takes 2-6 months. We have been told, the original birth certificate, and finalized adoption paperwork showing the new name should be all you need.

Royal wasn’t helpful, 

Just as an FYI, in our state (Pennsylvania), the original birth certificate gets mailed to the state along with the certificate of adoption following the adoption hearing, and then the new birth certificate is issued.  The only way the above scenario could play out, at least here, is if you have an extra certified copy of the birth certificate to present at check-in along with a copy of the adoption decree issued by the judge.

Congratulations to you and the OP on your adoptions!!

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 8:16 PM, neuro said:

Royal wasn’t helpful, 

Hi!  Sorry this took me so long to respond.  Yes I just called Royal and they said original birth certificate along with court order showing finalized adoption is ok.  We will not  have the updated birth certificate by the time w e cruise.  Can you please contact me after you cruise to confirm everything went ok?  I'd be very grateful.  adamrosenwasser@gmail.com thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2019 at 2:21 PM, adamrosie said:

Hi!  Sorry this took me so long to respond.  Yes I just called Royal and they said original birth certificate along with court order showing finalized adoption is ok.  We will not  have the updated birth certificate by the time w e cruise.  Can you please contact me after you cruise to confirm everything went ok?  I'd be very grateful.  adamrosenwasser@gmail.com thanks!

We are currently on the Harmony of the Seas,

we got a certified copy of our 3 year olds original with birth name and birth parents .birth certification ( it had the raised area / showing it was certified. The original  copy of our adoption papers, (;again with raised seal).

our adoption was finalized first week of  August, still don’t have the new birth certificate.

customs in Port Canaveral didn’t ask to see any of it. He check out our passports only.

once through customs getting on the ship, the Royal person did look at it but asked no questions.

if something happens upon returning to Florida I will be happy to let you know!

• 3 years later...

You need to seriously address this issue.  When registering guardianship, the needs of a minor are provided by the state, the guardian only disposes of the funds allocated for his ward, while the adoptive parent supports the child at his own expense and at his own expense

45 minutes ago, Cigar King said:

They should close threads for posting after a certain amount of time. 

They do/did - it was about 7 years.  The search results within CC are limited to about two years so anything older than that is typically resurrected form an outside search engine find.  This one is not that old and some old ones are still relevant even if resurrected after a long posting pause.

Edited by Biker19

On 10/5/2022 at 5:21 AM, JameTvari said:

You need to seriously address this issue.  When registering guardianship, the needs of a minor are provided by the state, the guardian only disposes of the funds allocated for his ward, while the adoptive parent supports the child at his own expense and at his own expense

The adoption of a child into a family on the rights of a pupil is carried out for the purpose of his maintenance, upbringing and education, as well as to protect his rights and interests. Find out how to become a foster parent in oregon. Good luck in your endeavors!