Manhatten Cruise Parking Lot - Carnival

thesmiths

We're cruising on an 8 day in September.

Driving up from Delaware and was thinking about Amtrak and Uber.

After research bottom line it would be about $350.

So I m just going to drive and pay the 9 days parking.Basically a wash.

Planned on getting there around 10am on a Wed the day of the cruise.

Does that lot open at a certain time to arriving passengers?

Thank you,

I have driven to the port 3 our of the last 4 years.  I arrive between 9:30 and 10:00.  It takes a few minutes to get through paying for parking (upon entry) and stopping for dog sniffing, and then parking.  Take your luggage to the elevator (you are on level 3), down to level 1 to drop your checked bags, then elevator back up to level 2 to enter security, picture, and check in.  By the time all that is done it is around 10:00 to 10:30am and boarding has always started within 30 minutes.

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

I have driven to the port 3 our of the last 4 years.  I arrive between 9:30 and 10:00.  It takes a few minutes to get through paying for parking (upon entry) and stopping for dog sniffing, and then parking.  Take your luggage to the elevator (you are on level 3), down to level 1 to drop your checked bags, then elevator back up to level 2 to enter security, picture, and check in.  By the time all that is done it is around 10:00 to 10:30am and boarding has always started within 30 minutes.

I've never gone all the way down to level one to check my bags. You're wasting time by going down to level one and  then back up to level two. We take the elevator to level two...the same level where passengers are dropped off by taxis, give our bags to the porters there and then proceed through security and then to the check in counter.

21 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I've never gone all the way down to level one to check my bags. You're wasting time by going down to level one and  then back up to level two. We take the elevator to level two...the same level where passengers are dropped off by taxis, give our bags to the porters there and then proceed through security and then to the check in counter.

Hmm.  Well 2 out of the 3 times we've come in by parking on level 3, there was a guy running the elevator that made us go to level 1 to drop our luggage.  The other time we did it out of habit.

56 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Hmm.  Well 2 out of the 3 times we've come in by parking on level 3, there was a guy running the elevator that made us go to level 1 to drop our luggage.  The other time we did it out of habit.

All I can say is one of the three elevator operators got it right by not forcing you to go to level 1. 

The problem is that because the jobs at the cruise terminal are part time, only existing on cruise days,  a lot of the longshoremen and others working there really don't have much experience because it's not their regular job. I've talked to many who've told me their regular work is at the various cargo terminals in the area and they just do the cruise terminal job as overtime work to make extra money. I've had a couple of porters who didn't even know how to get from the street level to the parking lot. I had to tell them which elevator goes up there versus just going to level 2. One guy insisted I was wrong, until the elevator operator forced everyone to get off at level 2...which forced us to have to then have to walk to and wait for the right elevator. Needless to say he didn't get as big a tip as I usually give the porters.

Edited by njhorseman