Cruise Critic Community
flashfearless

Post Cruise Depression- It’s a real thing

Been feeling particularly blue since return from Viking Ocean Cruise. I’ve read all the recommendations already. I’m afraid it’s not going to help unless I get the same staff on our next cruise. And our same friends. 

How many others get those post post cruise blues?  Work sucks by the way. 

It happens every single time but I have good news!  The staff is just as awesome on every ship.  We made lifelong friends with a staff member on our very first Viking river cruise.  That was 6 or so years ago.  She moved to Oceans so we booked a cruise specifically to be with her but she was transferred at the very last minute so we didn't get to see her.  We boarded the ship and quickly made new staff member friends.    They are all great!

We had it bad after the Inaugural World Cruise so took the only cure and booked another cruise.😎🍸

Totally understand. We’ve been fortunate to have a “reunion” with one or two ocean staff, but clearly not a common occurrence. Given the rotations, staff time off, and new staff coming on, a reunion is not common. However, as has been said previously, we meet new and wonderful staff on each next cruise. Am wondering the origin of the staff on the Montreal/ east coast ocean cruises. Maybe some of those we’ve known before?

19 hours ago, flashfearless said:

How many others get those post post cruise blues?

I would so much rather the post-parting depression/bye-bye blues than what I actually get--a week in bed and a course of antibiotics. The cure for the former is so much more appealing than what I end up with.

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

I would so much rather the post-parting depression/bye-bye blues than what I actually get--a week in bed and a course of antibiotics. The cure for the former is so much more appealing than what I end up with.

Does that happen every time with you?  Sorry to hear that.  We were lucky I guess.  Something in the motion of the water actually helped me to sleep better.  I also made good use of their sanitary stations.  

Hope that it is better on your next cruise.  

Thanks for asking. The joys of flying. As long as I can make jokes about it, this, too, shall pass.

There is a term for this and I, a cruise addict, suffer a severe case: Cruise Withdrawal Syndrome (CWS). Will probably appear in DSM-6. 😉🤣 The fix for this addiction is, of course, booking another cruise, usually onboard.

On 6/10/2019 at 2:14 PM, flashfearless said:

Been feeling particularly blue since return from Viking Ocean Cruise. I’ve read all the recommendations already. I’m afraid it’s not going to help unless I get the same staff on our next cruise. And our same friends. 

How many others get those post post cruise blues?  Work sucks by the way. 

10 hours ago, emileg said:

There is a term for this and I, a cruise addict, suffer a severe case: Cruise Withdrawal Syndrome (CWS). Will probably appear in DSM-6. 😉🤣 The fix for this addiction is, of course, booking another cruise, usually onboard.

5 hours ago, New.2.cruise said:

Well we don't work, so I can't comment on that aspect, but I can say that whether you book onboard or onshore, do for goodness sake book another cruise.

No two cruises are ever the same - different weather, different folks; but having said that it's really worthwhile having the different experiences in the same places.  We can ignore the different crew and different passengers, although the more you cruise (if you go with the same cruiseline) the more you'll get to know the regulars.

Seeing places at different times of the year can be entertaining, rewarding and interesting.  Just book it.

I hear you flashfearless.  We just left the Jupiter yesterday in Bergen.  I had been so focused on this trip for so many months that I'm having trouble re-entering the real world.  Time to start thinking about where to go next!