CHEAPEST AIRPORT FOR ALASKA

We are thinking about booking for Alaska April/May 2020.  I noticed that those cruises leave from several different areas and ports.  We reside in Cleveland Ohio.  Can anyone tell me what port would be the cheapest to leave from & fly into?  Vancouver? Seattle? Anchorage?  Please share any experience you may have had getting there....good or bad...thx so much

Only Seattle itineraries are round trip, meaning Seattle is the only port you will embark and debark from the same port. If you start in Vancouver, you will end in Seward or vice versa which means you need to consider flight costs to Anchorage and Vancouver, unless you do a back to back. In general, though, flights to and from Seattle are usually less than to or from Anchorage or Vancouver. 

8 minutes ago, gamblin'gal said:

We are thinking about booking for Alaska April/May 2020.  I noticed that those cruises leave from several different areas and ports.  We reside in Cleveland Ohio.  Can anyone tell me what port would be the cheapest to leave from & fly into?  Vancouver? Seattle? Anchorage?  Please share any experience you may have had getting there....good or bad...thx so much

Royal Caribbean sails Alaska starting in May, if you want April, you are going to have to sail a different cruise line.  As far as what is cheapest to fly to, that really depends on what airline you will fly.  We looked at what itinerary we wanted to sail and then figured our flights out based on that.  Round trip cruises out of Vancouver or Seattle do not see as much of Alaska as the one way cruises on Radiance between Vancouver and Seward.  

2 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Only Seattle itineraries are round trip, meaning Seattle is the only port you will embark and debark from the same port. If you start in Vancouver, you will end in Seward or vice versa which means you need to consider flight costs to Anchorage and Vancouver, unless you do a back to back. In general, though, flights to and from Seattle are usually less than to or from Anchorage or Vancouver. 

Serenade is doing round trips out of Vancouver in 2020. 🙂 

8 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Serenade is doing round trips out of Vancouver in 2020. 🙂 

7 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Are there now round trip cruises out of Vancouver? If so, didn’t know that.

Ovation is doing one in September round trip Vancouver but Serenade is doing round trip Vancouver for the 2020 season.

If I understand your question you are asking which airport would be easier to fly into and out of and that would be Seattle.  If you go into or out of Vancouver you will pay extra for international flights.  We looked at all the options when we booked our Alaska cruise and in the end chose Seattle because it was cheaper.  Hope that helps.

10 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

If I understand your question you are asking which airport would be easier to fly into and out of and that would be Seattle.  If you go into or out of Vancouver you will pay extra for international flights.  We looked at all the options when we booked our Alaska cruise and in the end chose Seattle because it was cheaper.  Hope that helps.

Once we decided on what cruise we wanted to do, we knew we were going to do two days on our own prior to starting a cruise tour in Fairbanks.  We looked at going into Vancouver, Seattle or Anchorage for a couple of days and Anchorage was the cheapest.

10 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

Anchorage was where we were going to fly to for a southbound one way  but we wanted to be on Ovation and they are only going out of Seattle.  You should have a wonderful time.

We did have a great time.  We will be booking again for 2021 and will decide on which ship once we see which gets the Glacier Bay permits.  

You need to go to the Alaska port of call board and read up on the Alaska cruises.  You can search on the ship name for more specific info.  However, Alaska cruise have so many things to consider.  The people who post on that board are experts and spend a lot of time replying to cruisers. 

The first question is how long do you have to cruise?  If you only have a week then you should do a Round trip . Either Seattle or Vancouver. If you have at least a couple more days do yourself a favor and do a one-way cruise.  You can see s much more of AK in a couple of days. . . . longer is better.

I booked my Alaska cruise after reading some of the posts.  I wish I had read more.  I would have made a couple of different choices.  

Both Seattle and Vancouver are great cities to explore. 

Also, I read that there is a bus that goes from the Seattle airport to Vancouver.  That may give you the best of both situations.  YMMV

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas
  • Like 1

I just looked up a one-way flight from Anchorage to Washington DC in May 2020 (it was the latest Travelocity would let me go), and with one stop (Chicago), it was under $300/pp. The most common advice I'm seeing for the best Alaska cruise is a one-way, and I think we'd prefer a northbound from Vancouver, which is why I searched this particular route. 

Least-to-most-expensive in general unless you find specific deals:  Seattle, Anchorage, Vancouver.

We prefer a northbound or a southbound Inside Passage cruise to a RT from Seattle or Vancouver.  

For a cruise that starts/ends in Vancouver,  one option is to book flights via Seattle but take the Amtrak Cascades between Seattle and Vancouver.  It's a beautiful ride all along the Puget Sound.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gamblin'gal said:

Cruise Air forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/77-cruise-air/

4 hours ago, gamblin'gal said:

Seattle is the cheapest airport and if you check into Frontier it has a direct flight. However I don’t think there are any itinerary sent April I think the soonest is towards the end of May

13 hours ago, gamblin'gal said:

Can anyone tell me what port would be the cheapest to leave from & fly into?  Vancouver? Seattle? Anchorage? 

People generally find Seattle flights to be less expensive but there are no absolutes.  Prices may vary widely depending on airline, flight routing, time of day, how close (or not) it is to your departure date, what fare category you book, etc.

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Once we decided on what cruise we wanted to do, we knew we were going to do two days on our own prior to starting a cruise tour in Fairbanks.  We looked at going into Vancouver, Seattle or Anchorage for a couple of days and Anchorage was the cheapest.

I understand your interest in getting the most bang for your buck, but I throw this in here just for information – the best vacation that we ever had was when we disembarked in Vancouver from a 7 day and spent 5 nights/6 days there (we hiked at Bowen Island, explored Stanley Park, sampled its amazing restaurants and markets, and taking a day trip to Northern BC). 

54 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I understand your interest in getting the most bang for your buck, but I throw this in here just for information – the best vacation that we ever had was when we disembarked in Vancouver from a 7 day and spent 5 nights/6 days there (we hiked at Bowen Island, explored Stanley Park, sampled its amazing restaurants and markets, and taking a day trip to Northern BC). 

We already spent a week in Vancouver prior to a repositioning cruise so we are very familiar with the area.  With our vacation already being 15 day long, an additional week in Vancouver was not going to work.

We have sailed rt from Vancouver once, and completed a cruise there once.  Flew SeaTac both times.  First time, flew to SeaTac and stayed downtown.  Took train to Vancouver morning of cruise.  Very nice trip.  On return, took bus at Vancouver cruise terminal to Seattle and on to plane next day.  

Second time, got on bus at Vancouver cruise terminal, off at hotel near SeaTac (it was next to Metro line), spent 1 night and then on plane.

Flying to SeaTac was cheaper that Vancouver, but savings was spent on hotel and transportation.  Didn't save anything but more experience.  The bus to/from Seattle and Vancouver cruise terminal is very easy.

We're from Cleveland, as well.  We did Alaska a couple of years ago (another line), embarking in Vancouver and flying home from Anchorage.  We flew Southwest (on points to Seattle), spent a day there, took Amtrak (cheap, beautiful, comfortable trip) to Vancouver, spent a day there and then got on the ship.  We're sailing Vancouver to Hawaii this year, taking Southwest to Seattle a day ahead, then taking Amtrak to Vancouver the day of embarkation - it's only a 4 hour train ride, leaves at 8:00 am, so there's plenty of time.  For Alaska we took Jet Blue out of Anchorage back to Seattle, then Southwest home from there.  Again, Southwest was on points, so the only actual air we paid for was that Jet Blue flight.  That still might be your most cost effective routing.

I'd recommend going late May or early June - we left Vancouver June 6th, I think, and for our fiord tour in Juneau, it was the first week they could go all the way to the glacier because of ice.  And when we got to Denali, it was the first week they were able to do the day long tour all the way back into the park, because it was the first week there was no snow.

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

We already spent a week in Vancouver prior to a repositioning cruise so we are very familiar with the area.  With our vacation already being 15 day long, an additional week in Vancouver was not going to work.

I didn’t read that if that info was above; my intent was to try to offer help as you had asked about issues on flights/ports and so my comment was based on that you indicated in Vancouver was an option in at least the post to which I responded.

10 minutes ago, 2Beeze said:

I didn’t read that if that info was above; my intent was to try to offer help as you had asked about issues on flights/ports and so my comment was based on that you indicated in Vancouver was an option in at least the post to which I responded.

I didn't ask about issues on flights or ports, I have shared our experiences with the original poster.  We have been to all of the cities the OP is asking about multiple times.