Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
shefrn1

on board texting question - Adventure of the seas

We are sailing on Adventurer of the Seas in a couple weeks with our 9 an 11 year olds .  Both have ipods.  I have a Samsung galaxy and my husband has an iPhone.  We are not planning on getting the paid wifii

What options do we have to communicate with them on board if we give them a little independence to explore?

I thought about using the Royal app but looks like you need to be 13 to set up an account. Also, I don't see the 'chat option' showing up unless it only shows up when you get on the ship.

Thank you in advance.  If I don't respond I am not ignoring you 🙂  I typically use the CC app on my phone and can't log in on there for some reason.  I am rarely on my laptop!

We cruised last summer with our kids- they were a bit older than yours (15, 13) but we had a few rules and ways of communicating.  First, if they were not with us, they were together or with a friend (we traveled with another family).  No one was allowed anywhere alone.

Second, we got a Dollar Tree magnetic white board and extra pens and put it on our door.  If they were ever changing locations, they had to write down where they were.  I know it is a pain to go down to the room, but it was very helpful to keep track of them.  My husband and I did the same so they always knew where we were as well.

If you want them to be able to text you will need to purchase wifi and use a texting app.  The Royal app on Adventure does not yet have the texting feature available. 

As far as I know, no free way yet. A couple of powerful two way radios may be a good option. Just remember to turn them off in port or at a show. 😀

Agree with the above...but just wondering why your kids would be carrying around their ipods ?