Cruise Critic Community
sharkster77

Restaurant suggestions--Lucerne

@1island2go posted a request for restaurant suggestions for AMS and Lucerne, but the thread went in an Amsterdam-only direction.  So I am following the suggestion that a new thread be opened for Lucerne restaurants.

I have read good things about the brewhouse in the old town hall.  Any thoughts about this place or any others?  Thanks in advance.

The Rathaus Brauerei is a good option, I agree. There is outdoor seating near the river and at least from what we could see, prices are better than many options, though by no means cheap. We only passed through Lucerne for one night so we didn't eat anywhere else.

If you haven't been in Switzerland before, be prepared for sticker shock, especially if you've just come from Germany. A meal in Switzerland will cost double what the same thing would have cost in Germany.

2 hours ago, jpalbny said:

The Rathaus Brauerei is a good option, I agree. There is outdoor seating near the river and at least from what we could see, prices are better than many options, though by no means cheap. We only passed through Lucerne for one night so we didn't eat anywhere else.

If you haven't been in Switzerland before, be prepared for sticker shock, especially if you've just come from Germany. A meal in Switzerland will cost double what the same thing would have cost in Germany.

How are prices on other things?  Hubbs and I are thinking of a cuckoo clock.  Wondering if we should wait till we get to Germany? 

baf

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

After paying for meals in Iceland last year, we feel prepared for the prices in Switzerland!

That's a fair comparison. Iceland is also expensive; that's why we eat in gas station cafeterias if we're there for more than a day or so. If you're in tune with their prices, you should not get too many palpitations when you see the menus.

The problem is that the Swiss Franc is about on par with the US dollar. So when you see a price in francs, that's almost exactly the number of dollars. The cost is right in your face, as opposed to Iceland where you have to divide by 125...

28 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

How are prices on other things?  Hubbs and I are thinking of a cuckoo clock.  Wondering if we should wait till we get to Germany? 

Haven't really priced other goods as we are terrible souvenir shoppers...for items other than wine, that is! Seriously, we rarely shop for stuff, and we rarely bring stuff home other than spices or wine. 

It wouldn't occur to me to look for a cuckoo clock in Switzerland but I could be completely off-base there. They do make nice watches; I've had my Rado for about 20 years but I bought that in St. Thomas, not Switzerland.

@jpalbny, YES, those gas station cafeterias were both reasonable, and the food was not bad at all.  In some areas, like between Vik and Jokulsarlon, gas station cafeterias were the only option.

A Swiss tour guide told me that she and her friends all do most of their shopping in Germany because it's so much cheaper for everything.

On 6/12/2019 at 5:55 AM, jpalbny said:

I agree with the Rathaus. We split an appetizer and sausage dish there, and had more than enough to eat. We also ate at the Restaurant Balances, at Hotel des Balances (where we stayed for 2 nights). The food, service, and views were fabulous, and the prices weren't that bad, IMO. 

Robin

We stayed a few nights after our cruise last June and found several of the restaurant along the water very good with outside seating.

One night we did the Stadtkeller Swiss Folklore show (located very close to the water) and had a great time.  The show, food and beer were excellent!

The Old Swiss House is fantastic.  The most beautiful schnitzels, crumbed and cooked at your table in a beautiful old restaurant.

It is not cheap, but nothing in Lucerne is, so you might as well have something really nice.

Where in Lucerne can you get a burger and fries?  Thanks.  I know there are McDonalds

On 7/6/2019 at 7:02 PM, AF-1 said:

Where in Lucerne can you get a burger and fries?  Thanks.  I know there are McDonalds

I visited that McDonalds....FYI they did not serve breakfast....

Thank you megfla

The Rathaus Brauerei might have stuff like that, though IDK if they have hamburgers. But they serve sausages and other assorted meats along with sauerkraut, many forms of potatoes, and spaetzle. I remember that Chris had some kind of veal meatballs which were really good.

This place offers pretty standard American-type pub food, including burgers and fries. The restaurant at Hotel des Balances also serves a burger and fries.

http://www.pickwick.ch/en/our-pub/luzern/food/index.php

now we're talking food;  thanks for this link acwmom.

Posted (edited)

Robin, that looks like a good way to get Pickwickian! Lots of tasty stuff... Seeing that menu reminds me of another place we liked.

There is a small chain of casual brewpubs that we discovered in the French part of Switzerland, called "Les Brasseurs." We've had some enjoyable, casual lunch meals in two of them. We found them in Neuchâtel and Lausanne but there are a few more. There is no branch in Lucerne AFAIK, but if you find yourself in the French part, drop into one for a reasonable meal.

Edited by jpalbny